• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shenmue Post Mortem Live

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

A live talk with Yu Suzuki about Shenmue starts in about an hour: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/classic-game-postmortem-shenmue/2300-6417813/

It’s unlikely, but if announcement was to be made…

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Its now live folks. Link above.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

1st question from the audience:

“when will Shemnue 3 be released?” - straight to the point Smile
Answer: “I want to make it…)

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I knew Shenmue was a technical wonder, but this has made me realise just how far ahead it was. The data compressions and skill required for its time was quite clever.

I guess we now know the fully story of Shenmue. The beginning of this talk showed multiple slides indicating how it was going to end.

Ryo beats Lan Di but becomes lost and disillusioned. Ryo then decides to move on with his life and has a fresh start.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s one of the series that I always wanted to play but never had the platform for it. I hope Sega decides to release the HD port for PC or something recent.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Did you see the beginning slide? Before it was called Shenmue?

It’s a little different and there are obviously going to be details not mentioned, but the rough plot for the entire series was told. So, I really do think this is just it now (not that I held much hope mind)

Image Attachments

14y8sia.jpeg

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Way ahead of its time, still looks better than most of stuff today, so ambitious and
painstaking that borderless development became Suzukis own undoing.
Died a little inside when saw chapters, the only practical approach i see is to give
Ryugagotku(yakuza) team this project under Suzukis supervision.

i was fan of Hongkong, Chinese films since childhood(still are like anything),
the whole essence of china got me into Shenmue, exploring every room and corner
of Kowloon was also my goal of life, too bad they totally changed Hongkong,
nothing is preserved, its another modern urban complex, old buildings demolished.

Apart from all the detailed stuff that went into development, it was yuzo koshiros
music (also did Shnibi and Streets of rage OST), that made the Shenmue experience
whole. So much that i associate his music with China now lol. too good.

wilco - 19 March 2014 06:30 PM

It’s one of the series that I always wanted to play but never had the platform for it. I hope Sega decides to release the HD port for PC or something recent.

I do think that Chinese stuff is where the Marketing decision becomes reluctant.
People dont know it , dont like it , not much to reap from it. Same reason
why Yakuza series got shit sales, japanese culture dont mean much in terms of sale.

Sleeping dogs did well, maybe because as i said , hongkong has become too
western to be called totally asian. Even HK movie directors feel the same.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The attitude Sega has of Shenmue I find quite baffling if I’m honest. The gaming industry has completely changed since the days of Shenmue 1 & 2 and so has the technology. All the characters, plots, locations etc are done and are just waiting to be used. It would be much easier and cheaper to make a Shenmue type of game now, they could even scale it back graphically etc and I’m sure people wouldn’t really mind.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Speaking in an interview today, Eurogamer asked Suzuki that, given his desire to make the game and the fans desire for him to return to the series, whether he’d considered crowd funding the game via Kickstarter.

“Yes,” Suzuki answered. “I am researching it.”
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-20-yu-suzuki-is-looking-into-kickstarter

I said Damn Son Grin

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Would be amazing. Provided Yu Suzuki knows that kickstarter etc would have financial limits and he works to it, I can’t see there being much issue. 

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Shenmue I/II cost $70,000,000, no way in hell it could raise that on Kickstarter.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Lucien21 - 21 March 2014 03:29 PM

Shenmue I/II cost $70,000,000, no way in hell it could raise that on Kickstarter.

I don’t think they’d need anything like that now. Don’t see why it wouldn’t cost anymore then the average title as the technology is readily available as apposed to having to make it all back then.

If not, would it be a bad move to try and make it episodic? Meh

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Even the Yakuza games were in the 10Million + range costwise.

They are probably the closest we will get to a Shemue game unfortunatly.

What may be more financially doable would be somekind of Shenmue HD remake.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 21 March 2014 04:39 PM

Even the Yakuza games were in the 10Million + range costwise.

They are probably the closest we will get to a Shemue game unfortunatly.

What may be more financially doable would be somekind of Shenmue HD remake.

This series has more fanbase developed during the years than Starcitizen so
doable and we gotta to show them. My money is ready and willing to spend upto 200$.

And yes it could be done well below 70mill$, even linear game would do wihtout extra
radiant AI, mundane tasks etc. Most of the people want closure and Sega would
atleast guage the response to do something in future.

Also Yakuza engine can do Shen3 very efficiently, just need to reskin enemies
and build new environments in extreme cost effective case.
Graphics,adventure,Combat Engine, animations rigging and other stuff all in place already.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

You also have to take into an account Shenmue actually sold well. It was never going to recoup the budget spent on it whatever platform it was on.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top