• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Omikron: The Nomad Soul

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m always amazed how games don’t make any effort to appeal to the people who play them. I started the game yesterday, literally the third sentence my characters hears is “you can’t save the game”. So I played for an hour and then quit, only to find out I have to restart because when he said “you can’t save the game” he actually meant “you have limited saves in specific places”. So, beyond this being a really stupid mechanic (by definition it forces me to replay mundane parts of the game) the game relies on you finding the first checkpoint room (I’d missed it in the first play-through) and the “quit” option doesn’t warn first-time gamers “hey idiot, if you quit now you have to watch the unskippable intro again”. Ugh. I haven’t had a worse experience since “dodge the car” in Fahrenheit.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

What? Nonsense. Dodge the car was loads of fun. Wink

Anyway, I played Omikron for about 15 minutes and wasn’t particularly keen to play any more. Still on my computer, but when I’ll continue with it…who knows.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

It kinda looks like the good developers, who stick with tried and true mechanics anyway, are the ones who bother with the tutorial, when logic would dictate the opposite (and also, if someone fails your tutorial 10 times in a row, maybe give them more guidance).

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

I ran into a similar problem playing on Dreamcast—I got a few hours in and couldn’t save because I didn’t have enough slots. Kind of my fault, but I definitely didn’t feel the need to return to it. To think this game came out roundabout the same time as Shenmue…there’s just no comparison.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

It was made at the time where complexity still was The thing.
Like many games of that era, mechanics indeed didnt age well.
It was highly ambitious game with flawed gameplay.
Its one of the hardest game out there and i have finished Darksouls twice.
Difficulty was due to bad FPS gameplay , fighting gameplay was bearable and
adventure elements were cool. Finishing it was nightmare for me, so giveup
if you intend to finish without trainer or something. It will frustrate even
more. But one of the best games ever made, hence my username. Smile

This game is not at all adventure only, got heavy fighting and shooting as
core gameplay.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’m a halfway decent FPS player, so I’m hoping to be able to “solve” the shooting sequences, at least on easy setting. Is that misguided?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Antrax - 26 November 2013 05:39 AM

I’m a halfway decent FPS player, so I’m hoping to be able to “solve” the shooting sequences, at least on easy setting. Is that misguided?

Unfortunately the problem is in the game, its broken FPS game, its unfair and
frustrating. Nothing to do with FPS skill,it would be even more
frustrating to quit in last quarter, where things will get worse, not to mention
worst last boss fight, i was about to break my keyboard. Smile

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I always feel bad about all the criticism Omikron gets. It’s a 90s experimental game, reading manual was essential for such games as Omikron, System Shock 2 or Outcast. So you didn’t check the manual or the reviews. The game is still open for exploration, there are save points and save cubes scattered around. It only sounds frustrating at first.

I also didn’t find FPS or fighting elements that bad. You might need to get used to them. But you can also train, you can avoid many of them (even by dying!), you can change difficulty. It wasn’t the best FPS, but it wasn’t the worst either. It even tried to implement puzzle elements. Saying that, the largest portion of Omikron is a pure adventure game, and a very good one.

And the world itself is so unique and fascinating, you’ll be drawn into it by the end of the first chapter. The game keeps adding new story elements, new styles, new game mechanics with every new chapter. I highly recommend to give Omikron all the chances you can, it’s a rare experience!

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played the PC version and loved it. Played very well and was fun. A classic. However, I heard that the Dreamcast version was not so stellar and is actually to be avoided.

I bought my PC version years ago for a big 9 dollars brand new and would have paid far more for it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I’ve read the manual. It’s pretty useless. What it mostly does is highlight some poor design decisions - I think it warns you against dead ends three different times. That’s just amazing to me, designing a game with limited saves AND dead ends. It’s also somehow smug about this, as though realism should trump fun when you design a game.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I just noticed this is in “gaming: general”. I was sure Omikron counts as an AG. Doesn’t it? Curious what the rationale for the move was.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Omikron is an adventure game with elements for sure. Moderators had probably never played it themselves, being confused by the GOG’s genre classification.

Also I haven’t encountered any dead ends. On the contrary, the game tries pretty hard to prevent you from them - you can’t get rid of important items once you received them, for example. Also keep in mind it’s a French game, so the line “you will not succeed in you quest” might’ve been misinterpret.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Oh, thanks. The manual just keeps saying things like “you must check everything or you will miss vital clues” and “everything you do will have implications” and the such. Then again in today’s session I got shot like a chump and the game revived me, so maybe it’s more lenient than it lets on.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its sad actually we would never see sequel. Cage is now busy in interactive dramas.
Ideally Sony should have revived both Omikron and Shemnue.

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

That’s a broader discussion. I’ll have to play the game through to know if there’s reason for sequel. A game can be really good and still not require a sequel - Grim Fandango is the obvious example.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Antrax - 29 November 2013 12:01 AM

A game can be really good and still not require a sequel - Grim Fandango is the obvious example.

^ This. So very very much!

If the storyline’s finished to satisfaction, I’d rather it was left alone afterwards. In most cases, sequelitis hampers creativity…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top