• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Xbox One

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Dale - 22 May 2013 12:31 PM
kuze - 22 May 2013 07:31 AM

This is a huge step toward an Orwellian society, and nobody cares.

I’ll tell you why I currently don’t care.

Thank you for your voice of reason.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Orwellian society….even though what you state would breach privacy, plus ignore everything that was said about the Kinect not sending that kind of data. Are you scared that your front facing camera on your phone is surveying your pocket or your bedroom ceiling? its bad business practice. If you should be scared, it’d be by google and sony.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Developers Reaction, Contrast between Indies and Biggies

http://www.gamenguide.com/articles/6818/20130522/game-developers-react-microsofts-xbox-one-reveal.htm

BTW, Xbone ain’t allowing Selfpublishing for Indies

Also Witness and Braid Creator ain’t happy with performance too

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yeah, i read up on a couple of those articles. Pretty damning and insulting. Whats going on with microsoft? I love W8, but then now they mess up the new Xbox?

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Dale - 22 May 2013 12:31 PM
kuze - 22 May 2013 07:31 AM

This is a huge step toward an Orwellian society, and nobody cares.

I’ll tell you why I currently don’t care. I have the current Kinect plugged in to my Xbox 360 at all times. It is currently facing a wall.

I only really use it for its voice recognition abilities, and I doubt that will change should I ever get an Xbox One.

If I understand you correctly, you don’t care about this issue at the moment, because the device is not as effective as I described (in an admittedly overdramatic fashion) at tracking your behavior, while also proving useful to you? Then I totally agree with your point of view.

However, Microsoft has now made it a little bit harder to effectively disable the kinect, clearly communicating that they don’t want you to. I think it deserves to be pointed out that their reasoning behind this move is more than dubious, and can be rather harmful in the long run. I’m also surprised that while the media loves jumping on privacy related stories (such as Apple tracking your GPS locations or major mobile apps leaking personal data), it has been rather silent about the always-on kinect, which can collect much more data about you than just you location or contacts list.

nomadsoul - 22 May 2013 01:03 PM

A general consumer is prey and Corporations will keep feeding on them, yes you are
right but at the same time its natural evolution of Capitalist society.

Its just bound to happen.

You might be right, but we don’t have to support it. Doesn’t this at least deserve to be pointed out and questioned?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@KUZE

Yes i am totally with you, i will vote with my wallet by not getting it, though i own 360/ps3 right now, my future combo will be PS4, PC and WiiU, as long as M$ wont moneyhat
third party exclusives i want, in that case will borrow from friend.

Yes one needs to alarm others about privacy issue, but again CoD and FIFA/NFL segment is happy and we aren’t the target market, the masses will hardly care IMO, unlike you and me.

In marketing terms their orientation is right, treat people like tools and vocal minority with concerns about privacy won’t reach the masses, in the end Ad revenues + Customer Intelligence will help M$ to reap huge monetary benefits. Consumers falling into Xbone trap will give M$ plethora of ways to make money.

No wonder they don’t need other markets beyond US and indies.

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Monolith - 22 May 2013 03:08 PM

Orwellian society….even though what you state would breach privacy, plus ignore everything that was said about the Kinect not sending that kind of data. Are you scared that your front facing camera on your phone is surveying your pocket or your bedroom ceiling? its bad business practice. If you should be scared, it’d be by google and sony.

I’m reading that they’ll be offering a more “personalized experience”, but claim to not transfer personally identifiable data. However, not knowing someone’s name and address does not prevent them from collecting behavioral patterns etc. Their current privacy policy does state that third parties are not allowed to use this data to create personalized ads. It is rather ambiguous about what Microsoft itself does with it though (it does indeed receive “that kind of data”), could be interpreted in a number of ways, and is always subject to change.

I’m not concerned about the front camera of my phone, as the potential for misuse is not nearly the same as with a kinect.

Can you think of another reason why they would prefer you not to disable the kinect other than generating more targeted and personalized offers? I’m not buying the “integral part of the experience” excuse. This is the same excuse they had when they tried to push metro apps and the Win8 start screen, which was a thinly veiled effort to gain more control over what apps are allowed to do and where they’re allowed to be sold.

Yes, Google and Sony are not any better in this aspect. Also, here’s a Time article on the issue. I’m glad it’s being talked about now.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

From my perspective, the always on requirement seems like an attempt from Microsoft to get the consumer based to grow attached to the device. I never use my Kinect because I have the option to use it. If there is a lazier option to one problem, I’ll choose the lazier one. Its not an integral part of the experience, but I can see why they want to make Kinect more relevant.

Like the Wii when the wiimotes were required to play a game and not a traditional control scheme. Not as intense, but similar logic.

Microsoft just wants people to have it grow on them and become dependent on, just like a smartphone is for society nowadays.

Thats how I see it, the non-dystopic perspective.

But honestly I don’t mind other people not carrying about this. I prefer people with objective opinions about everything without bias, than someone trying to convert me because they are a blind fanboy.

Xbox One’s reveal was the product of the complaints of the PS4 reveal (not showing the actual console and all). Also not showing many games really shouldn’t be a complaint. E3 is around the corner, but people just had to find something to bitch about besides the basic logical complaints.

I personally found Ghost intriguing because of the cool people behind this game and Quantum Break. Loved Alan Wake to death, so I’m glad to see something new coming from them.

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Monolith - 22 May 2013 11:53 PM

Microsoft just wants people to have it grow on them and become dependent on, just like a smartphone is for society nowadays.

Thats how I see it, the non-dystopic perspective.

Fair enough, I can see your line of reasoning. The most probable answer to me is that they’re trying to do both, bind the consumer to their device and make more money off of them at the same time. Because why wouldn’t they?

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

As a non-heavy user, I’m not so worried. If the console is always online, I’ll probably keep it unplugged if I know I’m not playing it much. I do share the concern though - for example, I refuse to use any Google services aside from the search engine and Youtube because of these worries, I’d never do Facebook etc.

I do wish the Kinect wasn’t mandatory, or always on…

Anyways, a little info:
Xbox One ‘policy decisions still being finalised’, says MS rep
So, it’s not yet certain how they’ll go with the used games and always online stuff. I’d wager, if they get a bad enough s*storm (as it seems they have), they’ll probably adjust and not make it so strict.

With the games, (as I read somewhere else, though the way it’s said in the above article is different) it seems to be a lot closer to PC (and Steam) now - you install the game to any XBox you want to play it on, but you need your account to play it. But you can use your account on other Boxes as well. (And then if someone else gets the “rights” for that game on an XBox where it has been installed, but with a different account, they can use that same install and so forth.)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

UPtimist - 23 May 2013 04:06 AM

So, it’s not yet certain how they’ll go with the used games and always online stuff. I’d wager, if they get a bad enough s*storm (as it seems they have), they’ll probably adjust and not make it so strict.

I’d be surprised if they do change their minds, to be honest.

They should have already been aware of the fallout they were going to get, just by the listening to the feedback caused when the rumour surfaced that the system was going to block used games.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

My only issue with this whole debacle is the fact that people are making a decision two days after an announcement. I made a status on facebook correlating bandwagoning with the hate.

Am I not wrong to think that people’s decision to go against the XB1 and hate it is nothing more than jumping on the bandwagon? Else, would you not think that rational people would sit back and wait for things to settle and show its true colors before making a definitive decision. I can’t think of any reasoning why someone is ‘not on a bandwagon’ at this point. We really haven’t seen the Xb1, just we haven’t really seen the PS4.

It also pains me to announce on facebook that i’m neutral behind all of this but people feel the need to pull me to a side. The console war is no different than the war of sexual orientation. It feels just as alienating at times.

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It may be early to pick a side but I definitely think you can to begin to formulate your opinion on the XB1 after what Microsoft has shown: superfluous all-in-one media features which will be neutered or won’t work outside the US, no backwards compatability, required online connection, ethically questionable always-on camera and microphone, deliberately vague details on used and borrowed games.

It’s way too early for cries of “PS4 has better games!” or “XB1 isn’t as powerful as the PS4!” but Microsoft has definitely showed us some things that could legitimately be a problem and should be addressed.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

I don’t like the fact that indie developers can’t self-publish on XOne. That’s currently enough for me to be more interested in PS4. But a lot can happen from now till launch.

Also, pretty please don’t call it XB1 - it’s too similar to Xbox (1) - but it’s obviously not your fault MS chose a stupid name Tongue

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top