• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GTA V - Roll on September

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m in Australia - it’s Tuesday morning. In one hour I shall have this game in my hands.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Went to a midnight launch (Europe), was expecting a dozen people because midnight launchs are not very common around here. Came back surprised hundreds of people lining for the various stores. The popularity of this series continues to amaze me.

Now the install is terribly slow Smile

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Here we go. For some reason JB Hifi gave me a free poster with my purchase! They probably thought I was cosplaying as Trev… Frown

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

10 hrs in and Trevor still not playable in story, my jaw dropped plenty of times,
graphics are insane, models, animations, cars, water in sea, lighting and
how the California lights look, like in real life but on drugs , riding jetski at night and seeing ferry wheel and city lights from faraway and their reflection on water,
while 80s soundtrack in background is exactly what you call entertainment, and the best thing is its just small part of whole package. Running, biking minigames were fun like hell. They are not just filler content you can see effort they have put in design, graphics and gameplay.

-Story is brilliant, with seamless amazing setpieces.

-Awesome writing, plenty of satire as always , whole cartoon shows on TV etc.

-Some crazy missions like Saintsrow.

-Apart from Graphics , Music is A+, the OST, it triggers on story missions and
dynamic like Maxpayne3/RDR (license music shuts down).

-Chop mission was awesome , amazing dog animations , i hope there are more
dog missions.

-Whats cool is that Heist story missions and Trevor still not introduced, game hasnt
even started to rumble yet.

-Worthy of 120$ on quality and quantity of entertainment, though Rockstar and GTA
can get store lines and sales without putting much effort and just on brand like
CoD sales and fanbase, but here its one of those mainstream titles that imo is real
quality , deserve every sale, apart from kids ofcourse too much profanity and vice.

My Best GTA already.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

I can’t believe I won’t have time to play this for 2 weeks. I want to cry.

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

Not to be a total spoil-sport, but…at some point, I’ll pick this game up, but likely pick it up used because I don’t want R* to get the money.

What I don’t get is why people want to play these types of irredeemable characters, and how it’s possible to get past, what Gamespot reviewer Carolyn Petit termed the “profound misogyny” of the game. While I understand that it is part of the point - don’t these games make you feel somewhat uncomfortable?

I do get that the games are fun…trust me. I just always pause with the subject matter, and when I heard about some of Trevor’s activities, it just made me partially ill.

I finished GTA IV about a month ago - I made myself play through because of the (undeserved) accolades it won - and just felt kinda grimy every time I was done playing.

With all of their talent and resources, why can’t R* make a game where you don’t have to play total scumbags??? Without a doubt, they’re one of the most capable studios, and I’m always disappointed they don’t make stories I’d be more interested in. More RDR, less GTA for me, please.

That’s all.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

LOL Yeah like John Marston - Outlaw wasn’t a scumbag.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2006-05-18

PM

Lucien21 - 18 September 2013 04:21 PM

LOL Yeah like John Marston - Outlaw wasn’t a scumbag.

Different world - makes a lot more sense in a Peckinpah type world, and to be fair, I’ll grant you that he wasn’t Mother Theresa, but there was a sense of honor there. He wasn’t a sociopath, more like a weirdly flawed man in a sociopathic frontier.

And more importantly, there were strong and interesting female characters throughout the game. It’s rather apples/oranges. That being said - I don’t think RDR was perfect, either, but it’s still light years away from the GTA series.

And maybe that’s the point, but it still makes me feel uncomfortable playing GTA. And as much as I did enjoy GTA IV when I could get past some of it, to hear GTA V is even worse in the realms that make me uncomfortable makes me sad.

I’m sure I’ll play it - if just for the fact it’s an open world game, and those interest me the most. But I’ll wait for a used version.

I’m also saying this how I feel - I grok that others don’t and there’s no right or wrong, I was just curious how people get past the less comfortable bits of a GTA. The torture scene in the beginning? UGH.

“The ability to dream is all I have to give. That is my responsibility; that is my burden. And even I grow tired.”
― Harlan Ellison, Stalking the Nightmare

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

$800 million in sales its first day.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Bonsai - 18 September 2013 07:53 PM

$800 million in sales its first day.

Profitable from day 1. Laughing

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Well, I broke down yesterday and bought the PS3 version.  I’ll probably sell it when the PC version inevitably comes out. 

I’ve played only three hours or so so far, but it seems pretty great.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Sometimes the console versions are the best ones. I may get a PS3 or wait and get the PC version myself.

I’ve heard that this game is simply brilliant.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Mikekelly - 21 September 2013 09:38 PM

Sometimes the console versions are the best ones. I may get a PS3 or wait and get the PC version myself.

I’ve heard that this game is simply brilliant.

Heart

I have the PS3 version and although at times pop up is evident, I would concur that the game is fantastic (so far)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished story mode, though didnt try some extra activities like tennis and
Golf. Game started pretty great , graph went high till Country missions and from there
on when trevor meets the gang the game shifts back to ol dragging mission structure of past, story gets meh and well i got bored but pushed myself to finish it.

Overall 10/10 on content, graphics and Music but gameplay and story is not as good as
Sleeping dogs, some mechanics like plane flying, cover shooting are wonky.

I think for me atleast Lastofus still Goty.

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Completed the main story yesterday. While I would love to be cool and say that the game is a disappointment because feature a, b and c didn’t exceed my expectations - everything else is so well done with meticulous detail that GTA V has become my favourite game of the year - probably the best game of this gen since 2010’s heavy hitters Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2 and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

The missions are a huge improvement over GTA IV, with each challenge given the weight of necessity to your main character’s story and I liked how a lot of missions mixed the mundane with the over the top mechanics like one series of missions that involve towing cars. Initially you’re finding broken down cars and taking them back to an impound in order to cover for a friend’s partner who is a lazy meth head but soon enough you’re using that tow truck to move a car out of the way of an oncoming train. And even with such an arbitrary series of missions it really fits nicely into Franklin’s story who is trying to break away from his unrewarding career as a low level hood.

Rockstar have done an amazing job this time around melding the craziness of the mechanics with an appropriate story. I was rewatching the tragic ending to GTA IV and it seemed so bipolar with Nico lamenting how much his life had been ruined after chasing down a man with an assault rifle in a crowded park. I think IV’s ambition has made the game age worse than the PS2 era GTAs. GTA V has overcome this issue by delivering each moment with a subtle wink and a smile. Every character in this game is reprehensible but the frank honesty over their evilness at least gives me the sense that I am in on a fun joke. At times I think all this game is doing is just waving its finger and calling everyone a hypocrite but they made the characters so interesting including the truly sinister Trevor that I just rolled with the punches. Minor characters are also multifaceted with complete arcs, the environments feel so alive and diverse and the exploration and the random encounters are extremely rewarding. I have apparently completed 85% of the game and it still feels like I’ve only scratched the surface with hidden environments I’ve yet to explore (I barely started to explore the ocean or the game’s Internet) and numerous conspiracies and Easter Eggs yet to be uncovered.

This is a triple A title that didn’t slouch and it totally deserves the billion plus dollars it’s earned in a few days. I have a few gripes of course like some UI issues, the lack of a restart mission option, the tiny smart phone text and reticule and I also thought the implementation of dogs was pretty weak. You don’t get to choose a pet, you’re given a Rottweiler and you train him through an iPhone app. It’s a nice little joke but it felt like something that was developed by a marketing department rather than a feature in the game that I would advertise alongside heist missions and multiple protagonists. Still, even with all that this is as close a sandbox game can get to being perfect.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top