• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Last of Us

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

nomadsoul - 24 June 2013 07:09 AM

Later i will give my detailed opinions on Ending, on which gamers are divisive, but i liked it. What i liked most in story is not just how well the relationship is executed but how it challenged the conventions of main person dying, TWD and all, i was predicitng death of leads, i was glad and smiling in the end.

Yeah, I loved the ending. I’m perplexed by some of the negativity surrounding it. I thought it was completely awesome how Joel killed Marlene in the end. I would have done the same thing - and then the lie at the end, that just sealed the deal.

You do what you must to keep the ones you love safe. Why sacrifice Ellie on the off-chance that a cure could be produced. The military and the Fireflies are about equally rotten constitutions, so screw them Content 

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 June 2013 07:48 AM

The military and the Fireflies are about equally rotten constitutions, so screw them Content 

This, exactly, everyone is wild and immoral out there, also let the nature take its course
and leave it be, enjoy the last peaceful bits with closed ones. Also the game took
inspiration from many films, and it was decided from the beginning that Joel is
soulless and merciless , so it would have been out of his character to act against
his own will, he found Ellie as a replacement for his daughter, the void is filled,
screw others.

The very first teaser had these words,

One peaceful night, clean conscience All Gone

Smile

Also the track names All gone and VanishingGrace relate to overall themes.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

A little more about the gameplay.  In general, I am not a fan of “stealth” games.  It’s always just a bunch of sneaking around, and it always seems arbitrary when I’m randomly discovered and then the shit hits the fan.  The Last of Us is not like this at all.  I adopted a stealth approach throughout most of the game.  Despite there being no “cover” button, it was always clear to me what I needed to do to stay hidden and how to use the environment.  If I was ever discovered, it was always clear to me what I had done wrong (forgot about some sight line, etc.).  I thought the AI was great.  I can remember many a time waiting for some dude to walk around a corner like he had done before, but he had changed routes and never did.  Made for some good times.

I have not heard this comparison, but what the game reminded me of the most actually gameplay-wise was the first Resident Evil back in the day.  I just remember always being short on ammo and supplies and dreading more enemies showing up.

Kasper F. Nielsen - 24 June 2013 05:25 AM
Interplay - 24 June 2013 01:00 AM

I feel bad, but I never even used the flamethrower one time during the entire game; I have no idea what it’s like.

Me neither, it seemed like you got it at a point where you didn’t really need it for the remaining time. Like the big underground bus terminal place or whatever it was, where there were several Bloaters, I just threw molotovs in their face rather than facing them straight on and using the flame thrower.

Ha, this is another good example.  I just snuck through that whole area.  I think I shiv’d a couple of clickers, but I never engaged the bloaters at all.

Regarding the story, I can always tell it’s an interesting story when it inspires me to want to write an essay or something about it.  I would love to write a piece comparing the characters of Joel and David.  And, yes, I couldn’t believe it when I saw that Nolan North did David.  People like to make fun of his ubiquity, but that guy is talented.

I believe the characters all behave in a realistic way that is true to their character, without being needlessly depressing just for the sake of it. 

I will also say that I thought the game was great despite the fact that I am so done with zombies (or “infected” or what have you).  I would really love it if this game stood as the final word on this subject, and we’re able to move on to new ideas.  (I guess Season 2 of the Walking Dead has to come out too, but I really hope that is the end of it).  I would love to see Naughty Dog try their hand at something in a sci-fi universe, though I’m sure I will gladly buy whatever they produce next.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

An excellent detailed awesome PostMortem interview, revealing all the hard work and
story ideas,Focusgroups, hard decisions, ending details etc.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-last-of-us-the-definitive-postmortem-spoilers-be-damned/

Again thanks to Sony for giving them free hand, can’t imagine this
industry without them.

Really glad that they avoided those Fallout and other people opinion in Focusgroups,
kept their vision intact.

Screw mainstream.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Boy, talk about a system that really turned out to be a major gaming platform - the PS3 will be supported with great games like this for at least another two - three years.

This game is yet another reason to own a PS3 - even with the PS4 right around the corner.

Kiss

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Talk about sequel and Story DLC (spoilers)

http://kotaku.com/who-would-star-in-a-last-of-us-sequel-creators-wont-r-586791127

With all the praise and possible sales, it was inevitable but i would love some
other characters and some more uncoventional stuff that they could try with
DLC and not full campaign.

Some other country like Japan or some place in Africa.Multiple stories
around the world could work to show off new emotions from different
cultures, demographics,without giving repetitive feel.
If anyone could pull that off its Naughtydog.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished it… Brutal…

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

nomadsoul - 27 June 2013 04:09 PM

Talk about sequel and Story DLC (spoilers)

http://kotaku.com/who-would-star-in-a-last-of-us-sequel-creators-wont-r-586791127

I love the characters, so I hope we’ll see more with Ellie and Joel in either a sequel or DLC.

In the early promotional material we saw them in San Francisco - perhaps that’s a place the DLC will visit? One can hope Laughing

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Finished it. (See my gaming thread for overlenghty review)

Non Spoilers is that I loved it.

It’s amazing how everyone is going gaa gaa over new consoles when everyone knows that the best games of any console generation come at the end of the cycle when developers can get the best out of the machine.

This year has seen Bioshock Infinte and now Last of Us and it couldn’t be better (GTA V being the next hopeful for game of the year)

Spoilers
I didn’t mind the ending. It did come a bit sudden, I wasn’t expecting it then. While I wish we had some choice in the matter of whether to save her or save mankind, I thought it was a poingant ending. (Ellie totally knew he was lying)

I think my favourite parts were probably similar to the other. The opening 20 mins, The creepy Nolan North Pedo/cannibal section in the snowstorm was great. The Giraffe scene etc. However there were so many little bit when talking to Ellie, the model poster, the child grave by the river, Sam turning into a zombie.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The only other thing I would say about this game is that it’s stingy as hell with trophies.

Finished the game with 3 in total (5% of trophies).

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 29 June 2013 06:06 PM

The only other thing I would say about this game is that it’s stingy as hell with trophies.

That’s the same percentage of the trophies I ended. At some point through the game I thought the trophy system was broke because I’m so used to wretched trophy bling anytime something happens meaninful happens in a game. It would be weird to win story trophies in this game…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The game sold over a million copies - that is stunning.

With backward compatibility out the window for the PS4 - I’d play the PS3 for a good 10 year life cycle myself.

I may buy one right now - I’d be drowning in games for the next six years at least - good ones too!

Heart Eyes

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Lucien21 - 29 June 2013 03:29 PM

I didn’t mind the ending. It did come a bit sudden, I wasn’t expecting it then. While I wish we had some choice in the matter of whether to save her or save mankind, I thought it was a poingant ending. (Ellie totally knew he was lying)

I like it that way. I don’t want to choose my own ending or partake in the story. I want to be told a good story, not have to create one myself. I hate it when games have multiple endings like that, I think it’s a cheap cop-out trying to please the crowds so they can get their own perfect ending. But to each his own of course.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Mikekelly - 29 June 2013 09:58 PM

The game sold over a million copies - that is stunning.

With backward compatibility out the window for the PS4 - I’d play the PS3 for a good 10 year life cycle myself.

I may buy one right now - I’d be drowning in games for the next six years at least - good ones too!

Heart Eyes

I am smelling some Updgraded version of PS3 classics for PS4, down the line.
But yeah keeping copies help, as some of my fav PS2 titles are hard to find and
now too steep in price, so its better to hold on to games, i am collecting
this, Heavyrain, Demon/DarkSouls and Yakuza4.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

wilco - 29 June 2013 09:24 PM
Lucien21 - 29 June 2013 06:06 PM

That’s the same percentage of the trophies I ended. At some point through the game I thought the trophy system was broke because I’m so used to wretched trophy bling anytime something happens meaninful happens in a game. It would be weird to win story trophies in this game…

Yeah, I feel like this was very purposeful.  I was probably more than half way through the game when I got my first trophy, and when it popped up it was a little jarring and took me out of the immersion a little bit.  I actually do like trophies/achievements a lot because it adds replay value to a lot of games for me, but I like it when the developers realize that’s not the best approach to every game.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top