• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Oculus Rift

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Smile

Sony can be cooking something

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 24 January 2013 03:02 PM

Smile

Sony can be cooking something

Hopefully its not buying the tech nor ripping it off.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Monolith - 23 January 2013 02:20 PM
wilco - 22 January 2013 07:16 PM

I think a big step would be the new consoles supporting this technology

That would be great, sadly companies like Sony and Nintendo wouldn’t incoporate 3rd Party technology into their system. They would either (Sadly) steal the tech and make it their own or just won’t support it at all. I can see Microsoft supporting it on the new xbox and windows 8 systems. Maybe even fund it. Who knows, I’d like to see it happen. Its a lot cheaper than getting a large 3dtv and by no means ruins the quality of the video with Passive 3D.

There’s really nothing to steal here. That’s the thing about the Rift; It’s a kit product made by a hacker, and the only reason it’s blowing everyone away is because everyone else had completely given up on serious consumer-minded VR products. All that tech was already there thanks to cell phones, and Oculus was just the first ones to try to put it together and tweak it for the purpose of VR.

If Sony or MS put real R&D effort into VR, they’d make the Rift look downright quaint. But they just didn’t have the faith or confidence in the concept to do that. Now that Oculus is turning some heads, they’d be foolish not to be developing their own VR.

Monolith - 24 January 2013 04:29 PM

Hopefully its not buying the tech nor ripping it off.

It’s open source, there’s nothing to buy, either. They WANT other people to use their tech, that’s part of the point.

By the way, I keep thinking about what games would be fun with this sort of set up, and how it tends to make you want to stop and look at things, rather than run around and shoot everyone. I think adventure games could actually be really interesting with the Rift. A detective game where you’re walking around looking for clues, for example. I think that we’ll see a rediscovery of those mechanics if VR catches on.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Software is going to be problem, how much support and how much shovelware like
Kinect or Move, or beyond FPerson with proper quality.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

How many do you need though? People will buy a $150 flight stick for the half dozen or so really good games that utilize it well per generation. I’d think VR would be even more compelling. I don’t think I’d want to play every game with it, but for the ones where it REALLY makes sense and really works, I think it’d be worth it.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Been discussing my dream adventure game, cyperpunk world like Bladerunner,
basically westwood game recreated in nextgen engine.

Voice recognition , walk and stop commands. While head movement for direction. No hands needed. Focus on objects , they will be highlighted and voice command search , observe,
inspect etc. Killer experience right there.

Would companies invest 2+ years for specific VR title, how many? Will it pay off?
Sony can easily take that hit.

on other hand there can be some wonder hit like Minecaft , some indie title that will become pop culture and will boost VR scene.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Another raving “review” of OR (around 35 min in the show): http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/8/3853914/the-vergecast-after-hours-ces-tuesday

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

If you guys didn’t know, sometime in April we (us developers) will get our hands on the Oculus Rift SDK, which should come with out of the box support for UDK and Unity. Exciting stuff mind you. Tongue I’m really excited.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

If somebody still needs to be reassured that Oculus Rift and VR will not be just a gimmick, but will actually change the way we experience games… and dare I say it, change our everyday reality (though, this one, I’m not so sure it’s such a good thing), check out the latest SXSW 2013 discussion panel. With Palmer Luckey, founder of Oculus, Paul Bettner, CEO of Verse HQ, Chris Roberts, creator of Wing Commander, and Cliff Bleszinski, industry veteran (two of them (beside Palmer) are already using developer version of OR for some time):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=daZHbKPhLRc

I think there’s no doubt about it anymore. VR is here to stay and it will only get better with time.
I’m not even that interested in games. Been playing only a few indies and point and click adventures in the last few years (ok, and GTA4- this one blew my mind with amazingly realized world). This however, seems fantastic.
Exciting times.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Igor - 09 March 2013 04:26 AM

I think there’s no doubt about it anymore. VR is here to stay and it will only get better with time.

I’m cautiously excited, but my doubts will only be gone after I’ve tried the thing myself with a real game for more than five minutes. So far, EVERY non-button controller I’ve tried has been not precise enough, or had severe limitations.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Kuze, did you try OR yourself? If you did, what was the experience like?

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Igor - 09 March 2013 04:52 AM

Kuze, did you try OR yourself? If you did, what was the experience like?

Unfortunately, I haven’t had the opportunity.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

1-2 months left before I get the official sdk and dev kit version of the rift. I’m done using this makeshift designer one. lol

Most people I’ve talked to thought this was the real acceptance of its real possibility. Who cares about Cliff Blesinski and the ‘All Talk’ event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5H2rL-lBxRs

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Monolith - 09 March 2013 04:03 PM

Most people I’ve talked to thought this was the real acceptance of its real possibility. Who cares about Cliff Blesinski and the ‘All Talk’ event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5H2rL-lBxRs

Agree of course. However, people who were using OR till now (at least that we know of), were mostly VR enthusiasts. That’s great, don’t get me wrong.. however, they are not the ones who will decide if OR will enter mass market or not. I was mostly interested to hear opinions of mainstream developers who are using OR for a longer period of time (even if I’m not interested in their games).
It was interesting enough to hear the difference between Chris Roberts who only had a demo of OR and Cliff Bleszinski and Paul Bettner who are already using developer kits.

Initially, I was afraid novelty would quickly wear off and you’d be left with a nice, but not earth shaking, gimmick.
This speech reasured me, there’s little chance for this to happen. I believe VR is here to stay and will evolve quickly in next decade.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top