• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Good co-op games?

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

I am looking for recommendations on some good co-op games. My only two requirements would be that it has some sort of story and also good, fun gameplay.

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Portal 2 is a ton of fun in co-op.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The game that comes most to mind is A Way Out. It is designed to be played fully couch co-op and there is no single player component. It is by the designer of Brothers:A Tale of Two Sons, Josef Fares who has a background in filmmaking.

If you don’t mind FPSes, Borderlands 2 is a great co-op game with a surprisingly flushed out story and universe that Telltale turned into one of their best games, Tales from the Borderlands.

Hidden Agenda is a fun choose your own adventure type of game where you and another person will choose which path the story will take. You do need a smart device(smart phone or tablet) as a controller.

Portal 2 is an amazing single player game, but it has a chunky co-op component.

These are the ones that come to mind right now. Hope that helps.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Okay I tried Borderlands and quickly found it’s one of those shooty-shooty games so I got a refund. Please don’t recommend these type of games!

I have already played Portal 2 but thanks for the rec.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Donuts McGee - 06 April 2018 11:36 PM

Okay I tried Borderlands and quickly found it’s one of those shooty-shooty games so I got a refund. Please don’t recommend these type of games!

I have already played Portal 2 but thanks for the rec.

I did prepend it by saying “if you don’t mind FPS” which stands for first person shooter. Also, you did not mention that you didn’t want action, just that it has a story which Borderlands 2 does.

You try to do good in this world and you get chewed.

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

Dude, I appreciate your noble and selfless efforts but this is an adventure forum. Let’s face it, we’re all crap at action games. That’s why we’re here.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Except you’re posting in the general section. You should expect any game type to get recommended here if you’re not specific enough.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Don’t starve together is pretty fun in co-op, not really ‘adventure’ but still some story to it. More RPG-ish.

To be clear, you can die and when you die you start over (well there’s some nuance to this actually, but this is part of the fun).

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2018-02-06

PM

I made a video in February with a couple of promising co-op adventure games. Some of them are released already

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I love all type of games, it just so happens my favorite are adventure games, bv I love characters and stories above all else, so not every adventure gamer is bad at traditional games, heck some here finish games so fast that my head spins.

for the record I really want to try a way out. I heard Ea let the devs keep all the money bc they thought it would be a flop and never sell a million copies in its lifespan, well it has already sold a million copies in just a week lol.

and some publishers say singleplayer is dead lol. Witcher sold a crapload, so did horizon, persona 5 was a big success, and I bet god of war might break sales record

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2018-04-19

PM

This thread is helpful for those looking for more coop ideas. We’ve been playing Overcooked, which I find extremely challenging for two. (Up to four players possible.) Only minimal story—enough as a pretext for what you’re doing. Fun gameplay, but I got frustrated because it was so hard.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

Hm, beasically you won’t find many coop games that are devoid of “shooty shooty” or “action”, but I get your point. Borderlands is 99,9% shooty shooty, and maybe the definition of non-casual if you never played alot of FPSes.

I’ve been on a couch coop rampage these past years, since FINALLY there is being published and developed a bunch of indie coop games that kick ass and are accessible (ported or developed for consoles, etc).

A way out and Brothers are the most PURE coop story based games you’ll ever find i think, just made 100% for coop storybased gaming, and not tacked on as an afterthought.

Never Alone is coop and storybased, but not exactly groundbreaking. But a nice short storybased platformer.

The Cave maybe, but you know about that.

Still, most coop is based on having 2-4 (or more) people in your house, and they want to wild out while yelling at eachother, and the rest of these recommendations are along that line:

Overcooked
is great. Even more fun the more players you have, and even more chaotic. This is what me and the gf play more than we should, and end up being angry and yelling at each other the rest of the day.

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is an awesome coop ... spacecraft .. thingie. About love. And shooting stuff. And upgrading your ship.

Rayman Legends and the LittleBigPlanet series and ofcourse Nintendos Mario stuff (Super Mario 3d world) is great fun platformer multiplayer goodness.

Keep talking and nobody explodes is great. One player defuses a bomb while the rest of the people in the room obsess and argue over a bomb defusal manual.

Jackbox Party Packs (all of them) are fun party games/quiz games bundled together in packs of 4-5 games in one pack. I especially like the core You don’t know jack game in party pack 1.

Trine 2 is a great coop puzzler.

Castle crashers
and Mother russia bleeds are fun coop sidescrolling beat em ups ala Double Dragon.

Basically all playlink games on ps4 (they utilize cellphone connectivity so you dont need 4 controllers), the last two i played were Hidden Agenda (storybased!) and Frantics.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

how was hidden agenda

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 11 July 2018 05:43 PM

how was hidden agenda

I’ll try my best to be informative, even though I don’t remember that much or even played it for that long (this was not because of the quality of the game tho). I held off playing this until i got more than 2 people in the room, since you’ll probably just get deadlocks/draws on each ingame vote with 2 people.

It’s a telltale/Until Dawn/David Cage-ish choices-game, but utilizing cell phone voting (like the feature telltale added the last few years, “social play” or whatever). If you like those games, you’ll love this I reckon. I felt like this was the next logical step for these interactive movie type games. Instead of me playing it with my gf and my cat looking on, and asking them “what should we choose?”, her saying “uhhh, ahh” and the cat ignoring me, and then having the timer running out. Now we all can actually choose/vote ingame individually. At times you use your phone as a touchpad thingie to search for clues which i thought was a neat mechanic, but also laggy. Also there’s a “Hidden agenda” component of it, which seemed kinda outta place in a game where you’re trying to solve a whodunit together, but i didnt see enough of it to really see where that was headed. Still felt like innovation for the sake of innovation tho, not because it fitted with the story.

I can’t really give you a better summary than that, since social events at my house inevitably descend into madness. Seemed like a good/engrossing game if you have devoted players who are up for an interactive movie experience to argue and obsess over. Basically we played an hour before people got restless/drunk, so I’m not really sure how the story wraps up. Next time we’ll play on a weekday. Grin

Let me know if you play it, and how it played out with your (hopefully less restless) friends?

Edit: I saw your post on until dawn and your gf now, so this is probably straight up your alley. Curious to see how the voting thing works out with two people tho.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

yeah I was going to do it as a party game, but the problem I kept reading about is how the cell phone app kept messing up and was buggy as crap, so I skipped it.

Joined 2004-12-07

PM

Yeah, I remember seeing that, but I think they fixed the showstopping bugs. The “cursor” thing is just a little laggy, but nothing critical (in my experience)

Ref:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top