• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

RPGs recommendations ?

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

badlemon - 25 January 2018 04:19 AM

Fallout 1 and 2

Don’t know why no one ever mentions those here when an rpg talk emerges. I hate to tag a most-favorite-game-ever but if I had to I’d put those two on the top.

Well, Advie did ask for recent games.
And Fallout 4 (haven’t played the 3rd), although good enough, isn’t up to par with the Witcher or Skyrim IMO.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 06:24 AM
badlemon - 25 January 2018 04:19 AM

Fallout 1 and 2

Don’t know why no one ever mentions those here when an rpg talk emerges. I hate to tag a most-favorite-game-ever but if I had to I’d put those two on the top.

Well, Advie did ask for recent games.
And Fallout 4 (haven’t played the 3rd), although good enough, isn’t up to par with the Witcher or Skyrim IMO.

Oh, yeah. Didn’t see that. Anyways, my comment goes for any rpg talk in these forums Smile

As far as Fallout 3 goes, I think it was kind of lame. If you’re into Bethesda stuff or you just want to shoot of a bunch of mutants in first person you might actually enjoy it. But if you’re looking for a serious role playing with actual choices, branching storyline and different styles of gameplay you’d realize that Fallout 3’s role-playing mechanisms are as complex as a kindergarten game. Same goes for story and dialogues. Bland.

Judging from reviews Fallout 4 is even worse. People say that F3: New Vegas is as closer to the originals as you can get.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

badlemon - 25 January 2018 08:47 AM

As far as Fallout 3 goes, I think it was kind of lame. If you’re into Bethesda stuff or you just want to shoot of a bunch of mutants in first person you might actually enjoy it. But if you’re looking for a serious role playing with actual choices, branching storyline and different styles of gameplay you’d realize that Fallout 3’s role-playing mechanisms are as complex as a kindergarten game. Same goes for story and dialogues. Bland.

Judging from reviews Fallout 4 is even worse. People say that F3: New Vegas is as closer to the originals as you can get.

Judging by this post alone I think Divinity Original Sin 2 (which I’m currently playing) should be right up your alley, unless of course you’re allergic to fantasy settings.

And yes, Fallout 4 has too much shooting and not enough roleplaying, which is part of the reason why I quit after some 80 hours, despite the awesome settings and some great moments.

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 09:01 AM

Judging by this post alone I think Divinity Original Sin 2 (which I’m currently playing) should be right up your alley, unless of course you’re allergic to fantasy settings.

Thanks. I’ll look it up. Fantasy is not my favorite setting especially if it’s too epic (like LOTR, GoT etc.) but I do enjoy it when it’s closer to fairy tales (like Heroes Of Might And Magic 2).

Right now I’m playing a really genius and gorgeous fantasy rpg with turn-based combat. Storywise it’s pretty light, there aren’t any dialogues or whatsoever. But my gosh, that game is deep. And full of detail. Unique battle system and heavy focus on tactics and economy (but it’s not a strategy game, mind you, although it looks like one).

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-01-22

PM

badlemon - 25 January 2018 08:47 AM

Oh, yeah. Didn’t see that. Anyways, my comment goes for any rpg talk in these forums Smile

Regarding Fallout 1 and 2: Why would you want to blow the OP’s mind with the crème de la crème right from the start? Baby steps, man! Baby steps.

As for F3: Don’t forget the atmosphere, the series went from a sordid and sombre setting sprinkled with pockets of dark humour to a in-your-face hacking-whacking-n-smacking romp that culminates in one of the worst plotholes in videogame history.

And finally NV: Out of all of them including F4 (a stretch calling that a RPG) now that two-thirds of that glitchfest is ironed out, it’s the truth.

badlemon - 25 January 2018 09:26 AM

Right now I’m playing a really genius and gorgeous fantasy rpg with turn-based combat.

Looks like a 2d version of the Expeditions games, have you played them? If so, how does it compare to Conquistador and Vikings?
——

I’d go with Dragon Age: Origins—modern enough without dumbing down the genre and highly moddable for those graphics-thots.

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Bogie 2.0 - 25 January 2018 10:22 AM
badlemon - 25 January 2018 09:26 AM

Right now I’m playing a really genius and gorgeous fantasy rpg with turn-based combat.

Looks like a 2d version of the Expeditions games, have you played them? If so, how does it compare to Conquistador and Vikings?

I haven’t played those but Battle Brothers does seem to have many things in common with Conquistador. Maybe there’s a bit of a difference in the combat mechanics. The main thing about BB is that all your army is expendable and consist of unique characters at the same time (they even have moods in their characters which trigger super random events). You buy them, you pay them salaries, you feed them, you cure their wounds, you buy them gear (which is basically the most important thing in the combat because each weapon has it’s own special attack) and you upgrade them (via stats, perks and special skills). The game has no linear story line. Basically you’re a bunch of mercenaries that do quests to gain money/xp/renown and basically survive cause it’s a tough one and I almost starved to death in the first couple of hours. Don’t know how similar that sounds. But the game is painfully accurate in terms realism and detail.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

I’ve been curious about Battle Brother because it seems similar to Jagged Alliance, one of my all time favorite.
Would you say that’s the case (presuming you’ve played JA of course) ?

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-01-22

PM

badlemon - 25 January 2018 11:23 AM

Don’t know how similar that sounds.

Sounds like Expeditions’ long-lost 2D brother which is a definitely a plus Heart

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Ninth - 25 January 2018 11:36 AM

I’ve been curious about Battle Brother because it seems similar to Jagged Alliance, one of my all time favorite.
Would you say that’s the case (presuming you’ve played JA of course) ?

Not playing JA 1 and 2 is one of the secret sins I have, even though I know it since a kid and have been dying to play it (and X-Com for that matter). So I can’t compare it properly but BB seem to have gathered some inspiration from there (in terms of managing and equipping your guys). Cross that with a Heroes of Might and Magic world map and Conquistador turn based combat. Final Fantasy Tactics also shows a similar gameplay. And devs stated that Mount and Blade was a big inspiration for them (although the game isn’t turn-based and look totally different).

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

VERY cool Avatar Mr.humphrey Bogie 2.0  

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

So Advie when you gonna tell us which RPGs you have played from the recommendations? You can’t make a thread like this and not keep us updated Money Mouth

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Ignis fatuus.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2018-02-22

PM

i recommend Return of Warrior to you ^_^

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2017-04-06

PM

I would recommend playing Witcher 3, Skyrim and Fall Out 4. Also Kingdom of Amalur is a very fun rpg to play and look at, though the story is weak and the quests start out good but end up as a let down.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

At the moment? Certainly God of War. If you are more into older games, I believe Ultima VII to be the best RPG ever. Both parts (Black Gate and Serpent Isle), they are readily available on GOG with the expansions included.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top