• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

RPGs recommendations ?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i want to go for this, but before i start something that could make me regert this move, i thought i could use some recommendation here.
my only experience with the genre is QfG series,.. but i am looking for something fresh tho, not anything older than 2-3 years.

thanks.

Total Posts: 8469

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Pillars of Eternity is a good game and a spiritual successor to the Baldur Gate series, which are some of the best RPGs ever made.

Torment: Tides of Numenera is a good game as well, and a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment, which is arguably the best RPG ever. It’s very non-traditional in approach and might not be a good choice for someone new to RPGs.

Several sequels to (somewhat) older games have released these past years.
Dragon Age: Inquisition, Mass Effect: Andromeda, The Witcher 3, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Fallout 4, etc.
But in all these cases, I’d recommend going for the earlier installments first.

In fact, I’d allround recommend starting with something older. Maybe something for which you already know a bit about the universe, and something that’s not too hard on people newer to RPGs.
In other words, start with Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. Tongue

Maybe some other questions first: are you looking for an isometric game, or a fully rendered third person game? Are you looking for fantasy or not? Shooter elements or not? Real-time or turn-based?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Witcher 3 for the story, characters, quests and amazing graphics - don’t think you need to play the previous games.

Dininity: Original Sin 2 for a excellent party battle system and good quests,

Skyrim for a big open-world to explore, fool around and kill some dragons

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

witcher3 for sure, you will dig music, characters and world building
Also good for newcomers, avoid other stuff for now
However if your rig is not strong enough then you might want to grab DeusEx games, you know the Cyberpunk stuff you love

Edit

small taste Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i didnt think wisely of the system requirements, i only have 2.60 GHz processor tho i have RAM 6GB, 64-bit-OS and graphics cards i cant run most of the new games, so i might wanna handle i choices safely

TimovieMan - 22 November 2017 03:55 PM

Maybe some other questions first: are you looking for an isometric game, or a fully rendered third person game? Are you looking for fantasy or not? Shooter elements or not? Real-time or turn-based?

i am looking fully rendered 3rd person, fanatsy or Scu-Fi will do, with easy fighting system and whatever can my pool laptop run.

this might not be a joke afterall.

wilco - 22 November 2017 04:47 PM

Witcher 3 for the story, characters, quests and amazing graphics - don’t think you need to play the previous games.

Dininity: Original Sin 2 for a excellent party battle system and good quests,

Skyrim for a big open-world to explore, fool around and kill some dragons

as said, i cant go for witcher3, and thats a shame, do Dininity, Skyrim have the samerequirements,

nomadsoul - 22 November 2017 06:19 PM

However if your rig is not strong enough then you might want to grab DeusEx games, you know the Cyberpunk stuff you love

this could be my top choice with my mentioned sys specs, so..  is it a single game, or did it have any predecessors ?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Advie - 23 November 2017 06:33 AM

this could be my top choice with my mentioned sys specs, so..  is it a single game, or did it have any predecessors ?

You could go for the original but it’s a bit old, I think it’s better to start with Deus ex human revolution now if your computer can run it.

I was looking at my humble library and some Steam keys if you want any of them - for Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Dark Souls, Knights of the Old Republic 2

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

I would go with Divinity, combat is turn based so much easier and graphics are not too taxing on your PC.

Skyrim is a boring game and won’t appeal to a QfG fan.

Another option is Blackguards 1 or 2 (from 2015) based on Dark Eye series (same as Memoria and Chains of Satinav)

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 23 November 2017 06:51 AM
Advie - 23 November 2017 06:33 AM

You could go for the original but it’s a bit old, I think it’s better to start with Deus ex human revolution now if your computer can run it.

I was looking at my humble library and some Steam keys if you want any of them - for Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Dark Souls, Knights of the Old Republic 2

Wow whole collection for just around 6$
http://store.steampowered.com/bundle/2355/The_Deus_Ex_Collection/

PC gaming sales Gasp

So even if you rig cannot run it you are not wasting much because i think your rig can run DeusEx original which still rocks as story/Rpg game
And Humanrevolution will run too on your other specs if you have proper card

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i will go DeusEx:HR, my Laptop can handle its req no doubt about that.

and will look into Blackguards i have been wanting to play this for a while, but bc its an RPG only wht had stopped me.

PS: early, i meant to say.. and good graphics card (forgotten to say good) Laughing

thanks all.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Knights of the old Republic is the best western RPG I have played. It still holds up pretty nicely, so I would go with that.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what is this LitRPGs (books) that is being a big scene lately, anyone one here read any of those books?

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

My favourite recent RPGs (not a very original list) :

Skyrim
The Witcher 3
Divinity Original Sin 2
Might and Magic X (not too pretty, mostly dedicated to M&M fans)

Not sure if any of those will work well on a older computer though.

There’s also Oblivion, which is a bit older but still really pretty.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

SoccerDude28 - 23 November 2017 01:26 PM

Knights of the old Republic is the best western RPG I have played. It still holds up pretty nicely, so I would go with that.

Having heard so much praise about this game I have tried it twice, but haven’t got past the first 10 hours.
Mainly that’s because it’s much too ugly with the square polygonal 3D of the 2000s, espcially compared to recent RPGs. Also I can’t get used to the fighting system (somewhere between action and turn-based, counter-intuitive as hell).

I would love a remaster of this game, though.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-01-22

PM

Ninth - 24 January 2018 10:58 AM

How would that fix any of your issues with it Grin ? There’s an ongoing project trying to breathe new life to it, using the Unreal Engine 4, called Apeiron, if you’re interested.

Image Attachments

SApeiron.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Fallout 1 and 2

Don’t know why no one ever mentions those here when an rpg talk emerges. I hate to tag a most-favorite-game-ever but if I had to I’d put those two on the top.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Bogie - 24 January 2018 03:36 PM
Ninth - 24 January 2018 10:58 AM

How would that fix any of your issues with it Grin ? There’s an ongoing project trying to breathe new life to it, using the Unreal Engine 4, called Apeiron, if you’re interested.

That wouldn’t fix my issue with the fighting, but that was more of an annoyance than a deal-breaker.
My main problem is with the graphics, and a remaster (or rather a remake) would help in this regard.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top