• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What is your opinion on games today?

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2015-06-24

PM

I have been thinking lately what makes a good game and what makes me want to play game. So in your opinion what makes you want to play a game and what do you think a lot of games are missing today ?  Thumbs Up

ROCK ON!!!

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

What are your ideas on the matter?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

jhoedi - 11 July 2015 06:25 AM

what do you think a lot of games are missing today ?  Thumbs Up

since that is a very genral question without any specific concerns,  then I can just say; common sense!  and most of all the classic basic element we raised up witnessing

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I have been thinking lately what makes a good game and what makes me want to play game. So in your opinion what makes you want to play a game and what do you think a lot of games are missing today ?  Thumbs Up

jhoedi, there are so many good games made but not all ‘styles’ appeal to everyone - so to recommend what makes a good game & want you to play it is difficult unless you post more info about what you’ve played so far & what you thought? & as for what is missing I get the feeling that you have an idea on that already? .....

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Depends on the genre, there’s many different styles. One of my favorites is exploring large 3D worlds, and I definitely miss the N64-era 3D platformers like Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie (luckily there are a couple of new games in development that are going after that style). I tend to like open-world games, but GTA5 was awful and I’m not optimistic about the future of that series.

I wish adventure games would do the same type of thing; it’s possible the new King’s Quest will.

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

My opinion on games today iiiis… I still like’em. A lot! I just have less and less time to play them.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

My opinion, but I feel due to the attitude of most of the big publishers, I’ve become very jaded of their output. When they announce something I’m always waiting for the key words like DLC, pre order exclusives etc. It’s not all of them, but well, I’m sure you know what I mean.

On the bright side though, the independent studios are doing amazing work and is allowing some of the once thought dead genre’s to live again. Not only are they allowing them to live, they’re also pushing creativity and bringing new ideas to the forefront.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I have been thinking lately what makes a good game and what makes me want to play game. So in your opinion what makes you want to play a game and what do you think a lot of games are missing today ?

I’m disappointed that there are so few new 1st person puzzle/adventure games, and that most of the upcoming puzzle/adventure games (like Obduction and Xing) are using the FPS-style 3D movement that gives me motion sickness.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I don’t really believe there are “things” that make me want to play a game. A good premise or good history of games from the company gets me interested. “Things” can keep me interested or turn me off, but ultimately it’s all about the game as a package - if it works and it’s enjoyable then I’m in! Trouble is it is subjective and what works brilliantly in one game might not in another. There is no one formula for making games good. [/personal opinion]

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Today’s gaming’s biggest fortune is deep independent games list, they never ceases to amaze.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

My opinion? I totally dislike AAA games, which are very bland and 100% action/violence oriented. I still play them from time to time because people keep saying they’re great, but I just don’t get it.

(I’m playing a little of Uncharted 2 currently, and it’s…meh. A “hero” killing dozens and dozens of people? Near-automatic platforming? Puzzles only relying on action or for 3-years old? Seriously? Where’s the adventure into that?!)

But I love the indie games and AA games! If it weren’t for them, I’d probably have stopped playing.

Of course, I’ve become a game dev too, so my opinion is a little biased :p

crabapple - 12 July 2015 01:08 PM

I have been thinking lately what makes a good game and what makes me want to play game. So in your opinion what makes you want to play a game and what do you think a lot of games are missing today ?

I’m disappointed that there are so few new 1st person puzzle/adventure games, and that most of the upcoming puzzle/adventure games (like Obduction and Xing) are using the FPS-style 3D movement that gives me motion sickness.

Crabapple, you might be interested in my game “Demetrios - The BIG cynical adventure”! It’s first person view, but all 2D and no quick movement at all. (though quite different from the Myst style of game, I don’t know if that’s what you mean)

If you’re interested, check out that topic : http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/5556/

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Since the question isn’t specific to adventure games, I’m going to move this thread over to General.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

There is nothing missing from modern games, today we have it all from text adventures to big budget games and everything in between.

I’ve even bought a few FMV games lately, haven’t seen those for a while.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2015-07-16

PM

I play mobile games a lot and have found them to be as entertaining as the sort of games I’ve played on my Family Computer decades and decades ago. I think if you don’t grow with the times and realize that kids’ taste change over the years too, you might find modern games less creative than the ones I/we grew up. Just a thought.

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2015-08-12

PM

Hmm i’ve been a little burnt out on AAAs like COWCAT. I think it’s just getting older and having played one too many, they all start to feel formulaic after a while. I try to look for games that do things differently.

That’s why Indies have been a boon and a curse somewhat. It’s great to see such big influx of creativity, but on the other hand it makes it harder as a dev myself to get recongized and break through the noise! So it goes.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2015-06-24

PM

I agree with you all.. Smile

ROCK ON!!!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top