• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Wormsie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shenmue III

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Jackal - 21 June 2015 11:31 AM

For the record, AG has never considered the Shenmue series to be adventure games, and we’re not about to start now with what the developers themselves call “open world action RPG games”.

I could easily make a case why one game is called an adventure here and not another, but that’s a colossal waste of time. Instead, it will suffice to say that I’m not at all swayed by the slippery slope argument.

I’m willing to accept that Shenmue isn’t an adventure game in the strictest sense of its definition, and that it behooves Adventure Gamers to be rigid on this point. While it may be expedient, marketing the game as an “action RPG” is misleading, as Shenmue clearly doesn’t function like games such as Jade Empire or Fable, in which the action isn’t a separate function but is integrated seamlessly into the adventure. (Admittedly, battles are separate events in traditional RPGs, but Shenmue also doesn’t emphasise stat-building and turn-based battle tactics.)

Essentially I agree with you, Jackal - that labouring the point (as to Shenmue‘s genre) isn’t productive. I acknowledge that I’m silly to get too concerned about labels, especially given the fact that we’re talking about a game that is of particular interest because it doesn’t conform to rigid genre constraints. I’m not at all interested in genre definitions in other media - but I think I’m more curious about the definition of ‘adventure games’ because I’m particularly drawn to a tradition that largely eschews reflex-based violent gameplay in favour of narrative. And while it includes fighting, I think Shenmue is a part of this tradition - but, I concede, not absolutely, no.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Ultimately, the label is not very important… I’m on the side of those considering it an adventure (in the same spirit as Dreamfall and Beyond Two Souls) but I can see the point either way.

On kickstarter, I don’t really see any ethical issue because he’s been upfront in the AMA and has been trying for years to get Shenmue funded…

But honestly, the main thing is that I’m stoked that Shenmue 3 is out and it’s amazing that it’s finally coming after all this wait. This is the time for rejoicing, not fighting…

Tad, I’d be sad to see you go… It’s not really worth it… In the end, what matters is that we’re finally going to get a sequel, does it really matter that it’s in General instead of in the Adventure section?

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I hear you, pygmyking. I’ve played (though did not finish for some reason I no longer recall) the original Shenmue back in the day, so I’m well aware that it both is and is not adventure-like in different ways. As you say, it clearly defies genre, and like all genre-blenders it all comes down to a matter of degree. I actually saw this thread in the other forum and left it before it was moved, knowing full well it’s largely a matter of interpretation. But as a site, we need to make such decisions as a practical measure (not just forums, but in terms of general coverage), and for now we’re going to continue to draw the line a little farther back than you on this one. (Yet much farther forward than others, as we’ve had pointed out to us a zillion times over the years.)

It’s certainly no excuse for anyone to mouth off rudely, but it’s all good as an intellectual debate. Carry on!

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Jackal - 23 June 2015 02:10 PM

I hear you, pygmyking… As you say, [Shenmue] clearly defies genre, and like all genre-blenders it all comes down to a matter of degree [...] as a site, we need to make such decisions as a practical measure (not just forums, but in terms of general coverage), and for now we’re going to continue to draw the line a little farther back than you on this one.

I think we’re on the same page, Jackal. I like the specificity of Adventure Gamers - that’s why I’m here - and so there needs to be some official stance to maintain the site’s vision. It just happens that I’m on the other side of the fence in this case.

giom - 23 June 2015 01:04 PM

But honestly, the main thing is that I’m stoked that Shenmue 3 is out and it’s amazing that it’s finally coming after all this wait. This is the time for rejoicing, not fighting…

Absolutely! I gave up serious hope of this ever happening years ago, even though I always harboured a wild wish that it might. I’m a bit concerned that Yu Suzuki is still clinging to his original vision of “four or five games” to cover the 11 chapters; I was hoping that he’d be content to squeeze and skip to make the story conform to a trilogy, as he began to do in the second game. I don’t want it to end on another cliff-hanger & have to wait fourteen years for the next announcement…

giom - 23 June 2015 01:04 PM

Tad, I’d be sad to see you go… It’s not really worth it…

Yup. I shared your view (re. genre) in this debate, Tad, but ultimately it’s a trivial matter. Let us let it lie & get back to our discussions.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

pygmyking - 24 June 2015 04:50 AM

Absolutely! I gave up serious hope of this ever happening years ago, even though I always harboured a wild wish that it might. I’m a bit concerned that Yu Suzuki is still clinging to his original vision of “four or five games” to cover the 11 chapters; I was hoping that he’d be content to squeeze and skip to make the story conform to a trilogy, as he began to do in the second game. I don’t want it to end on another cliff-hanger & have to wait fourteen years for the next announcement…

The fact that he’s unwilling to compromise is one of the reasons this has taken so long to become a reality, imo. I’d rather he keep his original vision. If that means cliffhangers and more waiting for the final installment(s), so be it.
If he starts cutting corners, it could hurt the end result, so I’d like this to stay as true to the original plan as possible…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

TimovieMan - 24 June 2015 06:45 AM

The fact that he’s unwilling to compromise is one of the reasons this has taken so long to become a reality, imo. I’d rather he keep his original vision. If that means cliffhangers and more waiting for the final installment(s), so be it.
If he starts cutting corners, it could hurt the end result, so I’d like this to stay as true to the original plan as possible…

Usually I’m all for avoiding expediency, maintaining purity of vision, &c. I certainly don’t want it to “hurt the end result”; I just hope that Suzuki-san finds a balance between keeping to a vision and realising the achievable. Sometimes the greatest craftsmanship is in checking indulgence and finding an elegant solution within the confines of time and budget. I could wait for a fourth game - five would certainly be pushing it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

pygmyking - 25 June 2015 08:16 AM

Sometimes the greatest craftsmanship is in checking indulgence and finding an elegant solution within the confines of time and budget. I could wait for a fourth game - five would certainly be pushing it.

Sometimes thd greatest fanbase is one who doesn’t pontificate but spread the word and positivity of game that fans waited for 14 years, within the confines of KS time period.
I cannot wait for the third game.

Here is new update,

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1069832

I am fine with base game with exploring, talking and fighting, Yu can add extra minigames
and side NPCs stuff with additional money.

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

nomadsoul - 25 June 2015 02:43 PM

Sometimes th[e] greatest fanbase is one who doesn’t pontificate but spread the word and positivity of [the] game that fans waited for [for] 14 years, within the confines of [the] KS time period.

I didn’t realise some people weren’t capable of doing both, sorry.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

pygmyking - 26 June 2015 03:41 AM

Sometimes th[e] greatest fanbase is one who doesn’t pontificate but spread the word and positivity of [the] game that fans waited for [for] 14 years, within the confines of [the] KS time period.

Hee, hee, burn! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 26 June 2015 06:35 AM
pygmyking - 26 June 2015 03:41 AM

Hee, hee, burn! Grin

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Yu did Q&A on Twitch , New info

- Paypal is being considered, will probably be implemented later.
- You get to take on the 4 Chiyoumen bosses Hell yeah
- Skill Tree System is for building up martial arts abilities (linked to scrolls).
Its an adventure Grin
- Character Perspective System lets you play as Shenhua and Ren in Baisha.
Hell yeah, Ren of heavens Playable = Hype x 2 .
- Shenmue 3 won’t finish the story, Extra Salt Grin

All set, it just needs to be executed properly now.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

This seems to be going really slow now. The extra exposure in the beginning probably made it a more front loaded kickstarter than usual.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

According to its Kicktraq, this project is earning about $25-40,000 per day: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/#chart-daily

Earning $40,000 would be a good week for my business. Asking for $10 million from fans (with more stretch goals to go!) is just too much.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 28 June 2015 04:52 PM

This seems to be going really slow now. The extra exposure in the beginning probably made it a more front loaded kickstarter than usual.

I believe journalists slowed down its progress by tarnishing the Kickstarter with false accusations. It could be some people are more wary to support it now than they would have been before all these articles started trickling. Articles like this for example:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/06/17/stop-donating-to-the-shenmue-3-kickstarter-right-now/ didn’t really help the campaign.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 28 June 2015 09:55 PM
wilco - 28 June 2015 04:52 PM

I believe journalists slowed down its progress by tarnishing the Kickstarter with false accusations. It could be some people are more wary to support it now than they would have been before all these articles started trickling. Articles like this for example:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2015/06/17/stop-donating-to-the-shenmue-3-kickstarter-right-now/ didn’t really help the campaign.

Exactly, jumping the gun for click baits, sucking off money from KS to feed their own sites and life.
This industry…welp.
Some other site with same negativity,
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=170254466

On otherside hardcore fans lol,
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=170253674

Edit:

Character artist update,

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1278225?ref=backer_project_update

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top