• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shenmue III

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Frogacuda - 21 June 2015 10:35 AM

Suzuki said that the KS money will likely be a majority of the game’s funding. The uncertainty in that statement leads me to believe that the total outside support is more than the KS has raised now, but less than he expects it to end at. So maybe 4-5 million?

Tad - 21 June 2015 11:42 AM

It seems to be moving rather fast, but I’m not sure where it will get too by the end. Can’t see Yu Suzuki getting the 10 million if I’m honest.

Sony helping with PS4 version, helped him kickstarting the idea, and helping with marketing costs. Shenmue3 on Sony conference, and public reaction is the reason why there is this level of excitement in new people due to old fans going crazy and boosting initial surge in funding.
Considering marketing costs of Witcher3 were almost as much as main game, Sony support is
very strong pillar for the rest of Shenmue future i imagine.

All people here should read this post to be clear on Sony’s involvement (and avoid clickbait articles online).

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

That seems to be your answer to everyone I’ve noticed and you know what? Fine. There are far better forums out there that don’t have mods/admin that don’t do their job properly and only support each other.

Tim seems to be the one who stays balanced.

Best of luck to the rest of you, and I wish you well for the future - especially Nomadsoul and Wilco who I’ve had some great conversations with on my time here.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 21 June 2015 12:09 PM

That seems to be your answer to everyone I’ve noticed and you know what? Fine. There are far better forums out there that don’t have mods/admin that don’t do their job properly and only support each other.

Best of luck to the rest of you, and I wish you well for the future - especially Nomadsoul and Wilco who I’ve had some great conversations with on my time here.

Damn Quest, Bogi, probably Lambonious and now you too, don’t leave , never comes anything worthwhile from arguing with mods and leaving members with whom you can have interesting exchange is a big No.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

nomadsoul - 21 June 2015 12:05 PM

This should clear up any doubts in that regard.

I’ve been reading this thread from the beginning, and I enjoy reading your posts, I hope you do not leave the site.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I second what Nomad said. There’s no point in arguing with mods because it is their site after all. Just let it go Tad, and stick around with the other forumites Smile You bring a lot to discussions (especially to console games/adventures) and it will be a big loss to see you go.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Hope you don’t leave Tad, I think your views and opinions are appreciated here and I like our talks about different kinds of games.

And we still need to discuss those final TT Game of Thrones episodes Frown

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Yes, Tad, it’s my answer to “everyone” who feels entitled to talk $*^#% to the people who contribute tirelessly and thanklessly here at AG on their behalf. I’m the designated bad cop for AG, and if I’m forced to step in, it’s only because someone has blatantly overstepped their bounds.

Your opinions, and your presence in general, are indeed usually welcome here. But your comments to fov are a disgrace. If you can’t understand that distinction, then by all means feel free to join a different community where such obnoxiousness is embraced.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I have proof that Shenmue III is an adventure game - there’s controversy surrounding its Kickstarter campaign. If only they could all be like Yooka-Laylee.

BTW, the bluntest description of Shenmue I’ve ever heard was “tech demo”. A pretty accurate term for other Dreamcast oddities like Seaman but I wouldn’t go that far with Shenmue given Japan’s history in interactive fiction.

The arcade sections always held me back from thinking of Shenmue as pure adventure and it was only harder to make that leap when the sandbox genre sprung out of GTA III years later with its persistent emphasis on driving cars and shooting stuff.

I also get a little incredulous thinking of Nomad Soul as an adventure - surely, I’m not alone. There’s certain expectations that have been built up for what is increasingly becoming a meaningless label.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Whatever Dreamfall is, Shenmue is, as those games are clearly in the same genre to me.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Frogacuda - 22 June 2015 07:17 AM

Whatever Dreamfall is, Shenmue is, as those games are clearly in the same genre to me.

Suzuki described the game on his site as the “true sequel to the classic open world action RPG games, Shenmue and Shenmue 2. Created for modern platforms (PC and PlayStation 4) and built in Unreal 4, Shenmue 3 will continue the legacy of Shenmue.”

Funny thing is , the creator himself used words of 3 genres and not adventure.
And comparing Dreamfall fighting to Shenmue fighting is a humiliation to Fighting mechanics and design of Shenmue. Even in other sandbox elements Dreamfall was jank, only hitting strides in story and world.

I think people here are always concerned with categorizing games from other genres to AGs or close to AG to keep the AG factor alive, thanks to AG status wearing thin in AAA scene. Now instead of discussing , cheering and helping KS, people here are stuck in vacuum of debating if Shenmue is adventure or not.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Jackal - 21 June 2015 11:22 PM

Yes, Tad, it’s my answer to “everyone” who feels entitled to talk $*^#% to the people who contribute tirelessly and thanklessly here at AG on their behalf. I’m the designated bad cop for AG, and if I’m forced to step in, it’s only because someone has blatantly overstepped their bounds.

Your opinions, and your presence in general, are indeed usually welcome here. But your comments to fov are a disgrace. If you can’t understand that distinction, then by all means feel free to join a different community where such obnoxiousness is embraced.

I’m sorry, but my phone’s web history took me back here by mistake and I couldn’t help but notice this lovely post. So, let’s examine the facts shall we?

This thread was setup for Shenmue lll and straight away we got little jabs on unproven click bait gossip that was quickly corrected by Sony and Yu Suzuki himself (if you require links to these facts, I’ll provide otherwise google is your friend). Now, to his credit, fov did say he didn’t want this thread to get bogged down in this, so he moved along, but the fact was he was proven wrong and still made a snide remark while moving the thread to general despite knowing little about the game. Others on this very thread have said or agreed that it’s a adventure game with other elements built around it - and as such belongs in the adventure area. A link of what is considered an “adventure” was provided by another admin member along with another abusive remark. That link provided little insight as to why it was moved as elements of Shenmue were found in it. If the argument is for “what is an adventure” by this sites standards, then I’m afraid you’re going to have to change your top 100 list quite a lot.

Why should he be editing something he himself said knows nothing about? How exactly is that not an abuse of power? It’s also still not been moved back like said if needed.

And now we get on to Jackal. Ah, yes, the self appointed “bad cop” because we apparently need one. (?)
Mods and admin are there to in force the rules of the forum, not be above them. Yet, you’re allowed to be abusive to anyone who challenges you, be insulting, dismissive of their view and most importantly of all, threatening.

Regardless of your view on said person (and there’s been many it seems), do you think it’s appropriate for mods/admin to break their own rules?

I await your reply.

P.S I apologise to Fov. I was harsh on him/her for not knowing - however grating it was - but at least he/she had the decency not to be abusive.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Also, there’s been an update: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1270641

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Tad, just stop it. It’s pointless.

The very reason for shutting down the first discussion was to prevent the derailment of the thread that is supposed to be about Shenmue III.

This entire discussion has more to do with the thread being moved to ‘General’ than anything else, and frankly, that crusade is pointless. AG doesn’t consider the Shenmue series to be adventure games. That’s a fact that’s not going to change (especially not if Suzuki and Sony keep emphasizing the open world action RPG and fighting elements).
If you feel it should be considered one, then simply state why you feel that way. Doesn’t mean we’ll have to change our stance. There are a lot of ‘fringe’ games like this that could be considered either way.
But arguing about that is pointless. It’s just a name. A label. People invested in the AG genre are going to know about those “almost AGs” one way or another. Let’s just talk about the games and their qualities, and enjoy them, without constantly arguing about the boundaries of the genre, as that has nothing to do with the games themselves.
So in the grand scheme of things: whether this thread is in ‘Adventure’ or in ‘General’, it’s on the forums for all AGers to see. We say it belongs in General, so that’s where we put it. Does it matter that much?

I also fail to see most of the things you consider snide or abusive remarks from the mods though. From my perspective, it just seems you inexplicably blew up after fov’s post, and you haven’t improved matters since.
I just find it very odd as it’s totally out of character for you…

So please, let’s put this entire thing behind us, and focus again on Shenmue III.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Very well. If the mods attitude will not change to obeying their own rules, then nothing has changed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top