• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Obscure less known games that you LOVE

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I was thinking to myself that there are some gems out there that are not well known/obscure and that I had fond memories playing. Some I would even consider in my top 50 games of all time. It really sucks that many people might not have heard of or played these games before, so hopefully highlighting them in this thread will introduce us to lost gems. This is mainly for non-adventure games, since obscure adventure games are well represented in the adventure forums. So here are a couple of mine:

Little Big Adventure and its sequel Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen’s Odyssey

These two are action-adventure games by French company Adeline Software back in the mid 90’s. I remember reading LBA’s (as it is fondly known) review in PC gamer, and buying it based on its glorious review score. It was my first CD game ever bought, and to this day I have the CD. The game is really amazing, taking Twinsen (the protagonist) on a crazy adventure filled with lots of unique characters, and I just remember being blown away by the world and the creativity. Its sequel offers even a bigger and better adventure. I haven’t played the games since the mid 90’s so I am not sure how they hold up today, but I just recently bought both on dotEmu DRM-Free for a dirt cheap sale. They are also available on GOG if that’s what you prefer. I am hoping to replay them soon, and re-experience the magic Smile

Freedom Force and its sequel Freedom Force vs The Third Reich

Again, Freedom Force is a game I read its review on PC Gamer in the early 2000’s and it got a really high score. I have to admit that I pirated the game at the time just to see what the fuss is about, and I was so blown away by it that I went straight and bought a copy. Its sequel was one of the few pre-orders I ever made, and it was even better than the original.

Freedom force is a strategy/RPG hybrid, where you control a group of superheroes on various missions. What makes this game so great though is the unique personality of the superheroes, and the crazy scenarios they are thrown in. It is a love letter to the 60’s silver age of comics, and all the heroes are inspired by comic heroes of that era and drawn in that style. You got Minuteman, a patriot that reminds you a little of captain America. You have El Diablo, a fiery latino who can shoot fire. There is Mentor, an alien who can mind control. Bullet is like flash, with his super speed powers. There are many many more heroes and they are all over the top and awesome. Since it’s the 60’s the super villains are obviously the “evil” communists like nuclear winter. But you also get to fight dinosaurs, gigantic ants, and various other stuff.

Its sequel was inspired by the golden age of comics (1940’s), and it featured the same roster as the original but adding a few golden age heroes. The heroes from the forties are all pixelated to match the art style of that era. There are also some awesome new additions for the silver age heroes like Tombstone, a guy who can possess others and a playful genie. Obviously, it being the 40’s, the major enemy is the nazis.

The developer was Irrational Games before they got bought by 2K.

Any other games you have played that are amazing, but not well known?

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I really like Superhero League of Hoboken. It’s an adventure/RPG hybrid filled with stupid jokes. The setting is a like a fallout parody, you’re playing as a gang of superheros with remarkably idiotic powers (ranging from eating spicy food without disress to being able to re-fold road maps) battling a supervillain in post-apocalyptic New Jeresy. Throughout the game you’re assigned tasks (which translate to inventory puzzles with some superpower usage), and there’s also a rather large map to explore and clear of hostiles, some of which is locked behind scripted enemy encounters, missing inventory or lacking powers (you need a rubber boat or the ability to tread water really well in order to navigate sea tiles).

All in all it’s a very funny game, the turn-based combat system isn’t half bad, the RPG sections aren’t hard enough to turn anyone off the occasionally really well thought out adventure sections.

Mobygames page: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/superhero-league-of-hoboken
Hardcoregaming page: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hoboken/hoboken.htm

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Antrax - 10 March 2015 01:55 AM

I really like Superhero League of Hoboken. It’s an adventure/RPG hybrid filled with stupid jokes. The setting is a like a fallout parody, you’re playing as a gang of superheros with remarkably idiotic powers (ranging from eating spicy food without disress to being able to re-fold road maps) battling a supervillain in post-apocalyptic New Jeresy. Throughout the game you’re assigned tasks (which translate to inventory puzzles with some superpower usage), and there’s also a rather large map to explore and clear of hostiles, some of which is locked behind scripted enemy encounters, missing inventory or lacking powers (you need a rubber boat or the ability to tread water really well in order to navigate sea tiles).

All in all it’s a very funny game, the turn-based combat system isn’t half bad, the RPG sections aren’t hard enough to turn anyone off the occasionally really well thought out adventure sections.

Mobygames page: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/superhero-league-of-hoboken
Hardcoregaming page: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/hoboken/hoboken.htm

This game sounds completely insane (in a REALLY good way). I’ll try to hunt it down and check it out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top