• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDaleIronCretinJdawg445kanaifurtrooneywalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Not Outcast 2, but a HD Reboot

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

In one of the most awesome gaming news in a while, Yves Grolet has just announced that they’ve acquired the rights to Outcast and

Yann [Robert], Franck [Sauer] and Yves, the three founders of Appeal S.A., the studio that developed Outcast, have started the revival of the franchise and will soon announce further developments.

A short English news article I found:
http://www.destructoid.com/the-folks-behind-outcast-are-reviving-the-franchise-257422.phtml

Gasp

Incredible, I hadn’t in years had any hopes that this’d be possible anymore. Outcast was easily one of the best games I’ve played and was years ahead of its time. I can’t wait to see what’s coming from this…

(Update 7th April 2014): Turns out their plans weren’t for Outcast 2 quite yet (though they hope, somewhere in the future), but in fact a HD Remake with the chance for some new content. It’s in Kickstarter here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outcast-reboot-hd/outcast-reboot-hd

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

All those KS projects, recent Syndicate revival and now this , old favorite franchises
coming back one after another, however i am little bit skeptical, whether they can
pull off the whole openworld game with good tech, it will cost a lot of manpower and
manhours, wonder how much money they will ask for KS.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

nomadsoul - 03 July 2013 09:01 AM

All those KS projects, recent Syndicate revival and now this , old favorite franchises
coming back one after another, however i am little bit skeptical, whether they can
pull off the whole openworld game with good tech, it will cost a lot of manpower and
manhours, wonder how much money they will ask for KS.

That’s assuming they go for Kickstarter, of course. There’s nothing about that so far.

It sounds like a probable choice, but then again, the whole open world thing would require quite a bit of manpower like you said, and maybe they realize that as well… Then again, after the fiasco of the original sequel, they might want to keep away from publishers as much as possible (if I remember correctly that it was the publishers with all the demands..).

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I’m hearing they might be shooting for something a bit more ambitious than what could likely be done with Kickstarter (i.e. AAA), but they’re still pursuing various funding options and haven’t ruled anything out.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

I’m certainly hoping it’s something more ambitious Smile I mean, there’s so much potential that I feel like it needs a solid funding and a pretty sizeable budget.

If they stay true to the original (obviously they can modernize it, but keeping in mind what was so good about the original), I think this could be one brilliant game, with the modern technology and all.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

News! Their Kickstarter project is online right now
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/outcast-reboot-hd/outcast-reboot-hd
and it indeed is not Outcast 2, but rather Outcast with modern graphics and updated features, with a chance for some all-new content if stretch goals are met.

Also, they want to make Outcast 2, but see that it’s impossible via Kickstarter, and so they hope that this will bring in new fans and gather enough interest that they will be able to later make a proper sequel.

I’ve already put my 20$ in Smile

(Oh, and in case you’re wondering (since they forgot to mention it in the front page), it’s of course DRM-free (they made a post about it in the comments section))

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yeah, I was hired for a short period as a programmer last year until I got picked up by another studio. No I regret not sticking it through. Yeah, they wanted to make Outcast 2, but why not perfect the original game first. Grin So excited for their kickstarter.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

On the one hand, I’m disappointed that Outcast 2 still isn’t in the cards. Even though they’re talking about the possibility down the road, we know from our experience with Leisure Suit Larry that there are no guarantees there.

On the other hand, I’d love to play a modernized version of this game. Outcast was something pretty special and it’s a shame nothing really came of the series or developer after. This is an instant back for me.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Frogacuda - 08 April 2014 07:48 PM

On the one hand, I’m disappointed that Outcast 2 still isn’t in the cards. Even though they’re talking about the possibility down the road, we know from our experience with Leisure Suit Larry that there are no guarantees there.

Right. Even if it were certain at this point, it would still be many, many years down the road.

Well, best think positive: at least we have the possibility now, which is much more than we had a year ago.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Weird,no new material on video,very small pledge and possible budget,i’ve finished third times the original an makin it high poly hd if these cheap its ok but one scene displayed on pc looks like left from ps2 days, makes wonder if really worths the effort for it?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I loved this game. Shame the reboot kickstarter doesn’t seem to be taking off. Could still make it with a final push, but it’s looking increasingly unlikely.

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Donation page looks well updated now but not enough backers..

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Why is so great as an ag,first of all it’s a unique experience;an open world non-linear ag, have six religions on a planet that you can warp between them via portals whenever you like,secondly have all ag features like dialogue trees,symbols,sound and physical puzzles etc.
On action side quite mild,mean you can escape,engage or use stealth completely non-linear gameplay.Beyond that there are lots of cool stuff you’ll find in gameworld eg:a twon-ha,emu like creature that you can ride around..

Hope all adventuregamers give a change this extrordinary title to make possible an hd release.

Outcast Reboot HD Kickstarter[/s]

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow, this project indeed deserves everyone’s support. While I’m not a huge fan of the original, it is definitely one of the best action/adventure titles. It showed how the genre and open-world games in general must be handled. Of course, Tomb Raiders and GTAs made their best to dumb everything down, like it always happen in the world of technologies. Hope the reboot will succeed.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I backed it as soon as I saw it… It’s one of the games that still marks me years after it was released.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

First gameplay video in the new update:

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top