• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloserTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Sony VR is the thing (Project Morpheus)

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It’s funny to hear impressions of this where people claim the resolution is better or worse, despite obviously being the same as Rift DK2/Crystal Cove.

I think the reasons for that are 1) Morpheus has an RGB sub-pixel arrangement, which helps reduce the “screen door effect.” But on the flipside its optics are different and it doesn’t have that fish-eye distortion thing that Oculus has, which actually has the beneficial effect of cramming higher pixel density in the center of the player’s view at the expense of the periphery.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Frogacuda - 20 March 2014 08:20 AM

It’s funny to hear impressions of this where people claim the resolution is better or worse, despite obviously being the same as Rift DK2/Crystal Cove.

I think the reasons for that are 1) Morpheus has an RGB sub-pixel arrangement, which helps reduce the “screen door effect.” But on the flipside its optics are different and it doesn’t have that fish-eye distortion thing that Oculus has, which actually has the beneficial effect of cramming higher pixel density in the center of the player’s view at the expense of the periphery.

Well, I haven’t heard any of that in the Oculus forums. Our only major complaint is that the quality of the screen seems to be a bit blurrier on the Morpheus.

nomadsoul - 20 March 2014 04:02 AM

http://i.imgur.com/6sg9kGH.gif

With move ^^^

Niel of Lastofus

Polygon Summary:

- He wears glasses, so he loves that the SONY VR, allows adjustments so that he doesn’t   have to wear contact lenses to use it.
- It felt weird at first to put it on but he quickly forgets it and felt Very Comfortable.
- He feels its very comparable to ORv2
- He thought the move controller can be tweaked and improved

Overall: It works and matches the quality of ORv2. He said Sony got all the major concerns correct and would only need to do tweaks here and there.

All those things aren’t Sony Specifics. OR works well with glasses too with its adjustable depth which was apart of the kit since the first release.

I still think the new STEM system is way superior than the Positional Tracking on the Sony & OR due to its absolute positioning system and attachments to any part of your body. If people are impressed by that move demo….then I don’t know if people have blinders on or not with greater technology shown for the past two years.

I’m not getting pissed of over nothing. Its just that people are getting excited over something inferior instead of being ahead of the curve and evolving past it. I want this technology to push further, but right now, its just about giving attention to a company thats only doing it for the money.

I want to see real positional tracking take presidence instead of a mediocre alternative that does nothing but comfort the current state of VR technology instead of pushing it forward. VR isn’t something that should sit on one topic. Its something that needs to evolve to get anywhere and I feel like commercializing it at the wrong time would greatly degrade its progress. You know what i’m saying? Its a new breed of interactive experiences.

The move technically wasn’t inferior when it came out, but it wasn’t a tech I was all that fond of. Both the Morpheus and ORv2 are using a limited tech for positional tracking instead of utilizing absolute positional tracking through other forums without a single camera. VR shouldn’t be restricted to one direction (facing the camera). Sure Morpheus has added a way to battle that but so far its a lot heavier (not really heavy but enough to notice) than the OR.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 20 March 2014 04:48 PM

but right now, its just about giving attention to a company thats only doing it for the money.

Hahahahaha so much corporate hate lol

OR devs are sellouts

Mark Zuckerberg

I’m excited to announce that we’ve agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

for 2 bill $

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-252328061.html

Seriously i cant even…ROFL

#TheDreamIsDead

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 26 March 2014 01:46 AM
Monolith - 20 March 2014 04:48 PM

but right now, its just about giving attention to a company thats only doing it for the money.

Hahahahaha so much corporate hate lol

OR devs are sellouts

Mark Zuckerberg

I’m excited to announce that we’ve agreed to acquire Oculus VR, the leader in virtual reality technology.

for 2 bill $

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/facebook-to-acquire-oculus-252328061.html

Seriously i cant even…ROFL

#TheDreamIsDead

Maybe you should actually listen to the conference call before shelling out the insults like majority of the people did.

Unlike Sony, Oculus tends to be quite open about its goals. They are an open book.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

100% going to bet that Zuckerberg wasn’t after the Occulus. He wanted Carmack. Carmack is the only reason VR is being taken seriously.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

oh man facebook is one of my least favorite companies due to their shady privacy practices and all that NSA crap. I was really looking forward to occulus rift, but I don’t want the NSA through facebook, to be looking inside my bedroom. It is a valid concern right?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 26 March 2014 06:58 PM

I was really looking forward to occulus rift, but I don’t want the NSA through facebook, to be looking inside my bedroom. It is a valid concern right?

Datamining and consumer profiling is huge, its not even news anymore its
well known fact. Infact my current job is Consumer analytics.

Facebook already tracks your preferences , Facerift will be another major
pillar to support that idea.

Come to think of it, people were shitting on Xb1 for same reasons and
no similar response on facerift.

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

nomadsoul - 27 March 2014 03:39 AM
SoccerDude28 - 26 March 2014 06:58 PM

I was really looking forward to occulus rift, but I don’t want the NSA through facebook, to be looking inside my bedroom. It is a valid concern right?

Datamining and consumer profiling is huge, its not even news anymore its
well known fact. Infact my current job is Consumer analytics.

Facebook already tracks your preferences , Facerift will be another major
pillar to support that idea.

Come to think of it, people were shitting on Xb1 for same reasons and
no similar response on facerift.

I was one of those people, and I’m also in favor of the Oculus acquisition.

Yes, Facebook is a dangerous creep, and it may very well ruin the Rift as a product and Oculus as a company, e.g., by starting to track the Rift data and interaction, forcing the focus toward advertisement and social interaction, or just abandoning the whole thing altogether. I doubt it’ll do any of those things in the short term however, the acquisition seems to be a long-term investment for FB, simply because the product is not yet suitable for the general public, and until it can be (so that tracking and ads become profitable), a lot of research on VR hardware and HCI remains to be done. It is this general research that suddenly got backed by infinite money and public interest, and for the VR technology in general (and for us in particular, since we’re getting better hardware and better software cheaper and faster) this is a good thing. Once those initial hurdles are overcome, we’ll have great VR technology that is being pushed to the general audience by a multi-billion company. Other companies will be able to build similar tech, since the demand for VR will already be there and the research will already have been done.

There are some differences compared to the situation with the Kinect 2. There, you are forced to use the Kinect if you were interested in using the console, which was my issue with it, whereas this won’t be the case with Facebook and the Rift (not for a long time, at least). Further, I believe the full-body tracking to be a gimmick that doesn’t really work right now, whereas VR already allows for unique experiences that cannot be replicated otherwise, and will be important for education, art and many other fields beside gaming. Maybe not now, maybe not even in ten years, maybe not even with the current setup of strapping a display to your head, but it’s coming, and the research being done now will be vital for that to happen.

In order for Facebook to ruin the Rift, they’ll have to finish building it first.

Also, I don’t believe the developers to be “sellouts”. It doesn’t seem to me that they did it for their own wallets (Carmack certainly didn’t), but because it’s the best thing for VR research. The privacy concerns are valid, but probably overstated, at least in the short term. In the long term, we’ll still have the great hardware, we’ll have solved problems wrt. VR interaction, and we’ll (probably, in some time) have the interest of the public beyond VR enthusiasts. This is quite exciting, to be honest.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

kuze - 27 March 2014 08:41 AM

Also, I don’t believe the developers to be “sellouts”. It doesn’t seem to me that they did it for their own wallets (Carmack certainly didn’t), but because it’s the best thing for VR research. The privacy concerns are valid, but probably overstated, at least in the short term. In the long term, we’ll still have the great hardware, we’ll have solved problems wrt. VR interaction, and we’ll (probably, in some time) have the interest of the public beyond VR enthusiasts. This is quite exciting, to be honest.

Yes i remember you were practically one of the first to point that out.
I give you that.

Cliffy B has already accepted that he will make sizable chunk of money from Facebook’s buyout(in his recent douchey personal remarks against Notch).
Carmack is just being discreet, they are in phase of life where money is better option than creative gamedesign i guess.

And dont you think calling Kinect Gimmick and VR not is Biased.
You want to give VR 10yrs of R&D time with full HR and Tech resources and sideline
Kinect. If any device will be forced like VR to become Norm it will become Norm, its like one giant Corporate Cartel that is trying to cover all corners making sure
that it gets accepted. Rest is viral word of mouth and Symbolic appeal for masses.

Ultimately in long run, when its too late to react, when it becomes norm, you are
left with world here each one is using mainstream Tech which is forced by Syndicate
at top. You dont have choice but to accept it as norm and become part of it,
like we are now part of both Fakebook and consumer intelligence Wink.

You find it exciting i do to, when in 96 i saw Ghost in the shell while
PS1 was hot, imagined world like Gits which is best Cyberpunk out
there IMO. But it doesnt mean i should let me own preferences take precedence over
some objectivity. Ironically that reality ran parallel at the same time in Game called
Syndicate where corporations ultimately decide shit. Parallel because Syndicate
game and Gits Anime were partners in cross promotion.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Or instead of guessing just read Palmer’s address to all the issues
http://kotaku.com/oculus-addresses-some-of-the-internets-biggest-concern-1552003153

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

nomadsoul - 27 March 2014 11:30 AM

And dont you think calling Kinect Gimmick and VR not is Biased.
You want to give VR 10yrs of R&D time with full HR and Tech resources and sideline
Kinect. If any device will be forced like VR to become Norm it will become Norm, its like one giant Corporate Cartel that is trying to cover all corners making sure
that it gets accepted. Rest is viral word of mouth and Symbolic appeal for masses.

You are right, I am biased. I just think based on the evidence so far that VR is having a much larger impact on virtual experiences than body tracking.

And actually, I agree with your sentiment. There is a risk, but from my point of view as of right now it’s much less pressing than the Kinect issue (which I wouldn’t have been as concerned about if the Kinect was optional, even though I strongly dislike the ad culture as well as indiscriminate tracking in general). We might get a future where VR is all-present and fully controlled by the Facebook overlord. But then again, if VR really is the future, don’t you think that this possibility is unavoidable regardless of who is backing the technology right now?

@Monolith: As much as I admire the dedication of Oculus devs and trust their instincts, after the acquisition is he really in a position to make any hard promises, even if he really means it? This is a real question, I have no idea how such dealings work.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 27 March 2014 02:14 PM

http://kotaku.com/oculus-addresses-some-of-the-internets-biggest-concern-1552003153

What you call fact is just a lipservice at the moment.
Unlike you i dont take things at facevalue credible, when actions are louder.

You also have lost credibility when you shat on Sony for money/corporate agenda
and when Oculus did same with larger magnitude, your double standards kicked in
and now feigning ignorance.

Good going.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 27 March 2014 06:14 PM
Monolith - 27 March 2014 02:14 PM

What you call fact is just a lipservice at the moment.
Unlike you i dont take things at facevalue credible, when actions are louder.

You also have lost credibility when you shat on Sony for money/corporate agenda
and when Oculus did same with larger magnitude, your double standards kicked in
and now feigning ignorance.

Good going.

No offense but Oculus has proven themselves. Your idea of lipservice, I call fact because Oculus has done quite a lot for the community. Get over yourself. You’re a complete joke in the face of logic. Getting lots of money doesn’t make you a money grabbing corporate pig. You wouldn’t understand because you’re no different than every other person that jumps to major absurd conclusions.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 27 March 2014 09:54 PM

Getting lots of money doesn’t make you a money grabbing corporate pig. You wouldn’t understand because you’re no different than every other person that jumps to major absurd conclusions.

“I understand that this happened because people with investments in the company saw big sacks of dollar bills” - Notch

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

nomadsoul - 28 March 2014 05:37 AM
Monolith - 27 March 2014 09:54 PM

Getting lots of money doesn’t make you a money grabbing corporate pig. You wouldn’t understand because you’re no different than every other person that jumps to major absurd conclusions.

“I understand that this happened because people with investments in the company saw big sacks of dollar bills” - Notch

“I have a deep respect for the technical scale that FB operates at. The cyberspace we want for VR will be at this scale.” - Carmack

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top