• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mass Effect question

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m thinking about playing Mass Effect on my PS3. I’m not an action gamer and am mainly interested in the story, which I’ve heard so many good things about. I’d want to start with the first game but there’s apparently no demo for that one. And because it’s not usually the type of game I play, I don’t want to buy without playing the demo.

I’m wondering if the demos for Mass Effect 2 or 3 would give me a good idea of what to expect from ME1? Or is the gameplay different from one installment to the next?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have Mass Effect 1 and 3 on the Xbox360 and PS3.

The stories are indeed good and all 3 Mass Effect games are really cheap. The demo will give you a good taste of how the games play.

They are action-rpgs with a fair amount of combat in them. If you have played this type of game before this one should be a natural.

The character customization is amazing.

If you are worried - Gamestop has used copies you can buy and return if you don’t like them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

If the demo are combat demos I think the gameplay is similar, but better in the newer versions with aimpler interface and more similar to third-person action games. I think the main differences between Mass Effect 1 and 2/3 are outside of combat with the newers being more streamlined in exploration, less open world to explore and more simplistic inventory management.

Definitely play Mass Effect 1 before the others - I think it’s the best one.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

The Mass Effect series is AMAZING! I really only play games with stories and up until a few years ago I really only played adventure games. But since branching out, I’ve found some really amazing PS3 games that have captivated me, the Mass Effect series being one of them.

All of the games are similar in their format: Explore planets, shoot people/aliens, a few puzzles, lots of dialogue with different characters, and choices that impact the actions in the game and future games. So I think playing the ME2 demo should give you a good idea of what to expect in ME1. However, note that the combat system is different in ME1.

When I was new to the game, I played all of the games on the easiest difficulty which makes combat really easy. I used to suck at video games and I was able to beat the game easily at that setting and really enjoy the story elements. I’m now on my third playthrough of the series (which is a really big time commitment!) so I can make different choices and I’m playing on Veteran mode and I’m able to complete missions without too much dying. I’ve gotten better at video games and am enjoying the action elements a lot more!

Anyway, my 2 cents is that I think you should go for it. I am kicking myself for not trying action games sooner! I never realized the great story telling that some of these games can have!

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Not sure about the other games, but I think it’s relevant to add, that in ME1 you don’t have to be good at action games to play it, since the game has an adjustable aim-assistant - you don’t have to be very precise when you aim, because the reticule is “magnetic”/sticks to the enemy.

But then there’s the Mako *evil-sad grin* - a tank-like vehicle you occasionally have to drive, and let’s just say it doesn’t control like in an arcade game Wink The key, in fights, is often light, controlled and sideways movement, and jumping.

I hated it in the beginning, but when I learned to control it, I felt it added something nice to the atmosphere, gameplay and exploration.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Jannik - 27 December 2013 05:22 PM

Not sure about the other games, but I think it’s relevant to add, that in ME1 you don’t have to be good at action games to play it, since the game has an adjustable aim-assistant - you don’t have to be very precise when you aim, because the reticule is “magnetic”/sticks to the enemy.

But then there’s the Mako *evil-sad grin* - a tank-like vehicle you occasionally have to drive, and let’s just say it doesn’t control like in an arcade game Wink The key, in fights, is often light, controlled and sideways movement, and jumping.

I hated it in the beginning, but when I learned to control it, I felt it added something nice to the atmosphere, gameplay and exploration.

The Mako wasn’t perfect but I missed tooling around in it in the subsequent games.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

fov - 26 December 2013 08:11 PM

I’m thinking about playing Mass Effect on my PS3. I’m not an action gamer and am mainly interested in the story, which I’ve heard so many good things about. I’d want to start with the first game but there’s apparently no demo for that one. And because it’s not usually the type of game I play, I don’t want to buy without playing the demo.
I’m wondering if the demos for Mass Effect 2 or 3 would give me a good idea of what to expect from ME1? Or is the gameplay different from one installment to the next?

Might be better playing on pc with a mouse&proper; trainer (like with one shot kill option) coz you’re not an action gamer and constant shooting action with influx of raids may overwhelm and makes you hold off enjoying story,on the other hand you’ll feel more satisfied become an expert of fighting technics you choose.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks all, I guess I’ll give the ME2 demo a try and see if I love it or hate it. If I can’t handle the combat I guess that’ll be a clue to stay away from the games, even if the combat system is different in ME1. I’m okay with turn-based combat but pretty terrible at real-time combat and shooters.

ME1 for PS3 is only available as a download or as part of the trilogy so picking it up used for cheap isn’t really an option. So that’s why checking out a demo’s important to me—ideally if I like the first game I’ll want to play all three, so I’m interested in getting the trilogy.

I almost never play PC games anymore. My PC set-up isn’t very comfortable and I prefer the gamepad to mouse & keyboard, which is why I’m looking at the PS3 version rather than PC. I tried Portal on the PC and hated it but loved Portal 2 on the PS3…

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

When the PS3 got down to $119 used I got one. A bunch of used games - buy 2 get one free got me a great collection of games.

One of which is a collector’s edition of “Beyond Two Souls” - which I loved on the PS3.

I’ve got all the PS3 adventures games and I’m looking forward to playing the rest of them.

I’ve seen used PS3 copies of the Trilogy going for really cheap at Gamestop and if you don’t like it you have a week to return it for a refund.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

The Mass Effect series has a great story, just don’t expect a satisfying ending.  Wink

The series is a good choice for adventure game fans, particularly of the interactive movie Telltale variety, as it’s basically where Telltale’s more recent conversation/dialog mechanics were born.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Definitely play all three in order. They’re one continuous story where you can import your save game from the previous game into the next so all your decisions are kept the same. Adds a lot to the experience in 2 and 3.

Also, the easiest mode in both 1 and 2 is perfectly doable even if you suck at shooters. And ME3 has “story mode” which basically makes the combat super-easy…

Best platform is without a doubt the PC (mainly because I feel mouse+keyboard >>>>> gamepad, so YMMV), but I think ME3 is going to be relatively taxing on your system. Granted, it’s not Crysis 3, but still.

And make sure you get the Director’s Cut DLC for ME3 (it’s free). Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

5 years of Commander Shepard’s epic,
Beginning of ME from 2008 june,

Things get complicated here 2010 jan,

Partying at the end 2013 march..At ease soldier.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 back in the day. I am certain Mass Effect 3 will be enjoyable too.

I found the combat in Mass Effect 1 not to be too difficult on easy setting, so I’m hoping the combat in 3 is quite easy too.

http://on.aol.com/video/mass-effect-3-review-517295014

Heart

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

thinking about getting into these games myself, question: does the “trilogy” version of the game include all dlc?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Mikekelly - 04 January 2014 04:39 PM

I found the combat in Mass Effect 1 not to be too difficult on easy setting, so I’m hoping the combat in 3 is quite easy too.

The easy setting in ME3 is similar to that of ME1 (although there’s one or two tough fights). But ME3 also has a ‘story mode’, which is VERY easy, for those non-action gamers.

To get the most out of ME3, you really should play ME2 as well, though ,and that has an easy difficulty comparable to that of ME1 as well (safe for one or two - mostly DLC - tough fights).

zane - 04 January 2014 07:01 PM

thinking about getting into these games myself, question: does the “trilogy” version of the game include all dlc?

According to the Mass Effect Wikia, it includes the DLC for ME1 and all free DLC for ME2 and ME3, but none of the paid DLC for ME2 and ME3…

Which imo falls under “EA are money-grubbing bastards” territory. Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Thanks for the tip, I’ll make sure that ME3 is set to story mode.

I only got the game because it was very inexpensive and I’m just going to play it.

I’ll do a review of the events in ME2 via youtube to make sure I don’t miss anything prior to playing it.

I have a stack of adventure games like “Heavy Rain” and “Journey” to play on my used PS3 first so I’m not going to play ME3 any time soon.

I did do a boot check of the game when I bought it and graphics wise ME3 looked very good and creating a character was quite fun.

Amazingly, there is at lease one more adventure game coming out for the PS3 in December of this year, so I won’t rule out picking up MS2 along with it.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top