• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Rise of the Tombraider, Legends and Underworld are my favorite Tombraider games. I played them several times. The new ones are great, but are very different from the classic Tombraider games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 291

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

Okay So last night I beat Tomb Raider definitive edition on ps4.
And I got a 93%  I almost found everything in the game!

So first I want to talk about why I like this game and not the originals as much.

And then I want to touch on why I prefer this to uncharted.

So The eidos/Core design era had messy control scheme, but we all already know that.  I will recommend though that I think the tank controls work much better on the PC ports than on PS1.  I dislike it because the way you find hidden stuff is total BS.  Often there is no real indication that something is hidden, or even that you can climb up on a ledge.  Because the polygonal texture for the place hiding the secret is basically identical to a normal wall texture, of course you don’t know anything is there.  Often when you do find a secret, I have no clue what it does.  I think you can see it in the menu, and in Lara’s Croft manor.  But I was a kid.  I had no context for the treasures she was finding.  Think about indiana jones where it’s often explained WHY a treasure is valuable, or WHY bad guys want it.
And putting a design or texture to indicate a hidden secret might be nearby was well done in games like Zelda, or even in similar games like RUNE.
The puzzles in classic TR were passable, except the ones that just asked you to wrestle with the BS controls like pressing a switch and diving under a door at the last second.

In the new ones most of the puzzles are environmental, so you set stuff on fire, push, pull etc.  And really that’s it.  The elements are simple, but how you use them together is thought provoking.

So after TombRaider started to die as they struggled with the ps2 era, Uncharted arrives on the scene, and even though I’ve already complained a bit about it, at least they breathed new life into this 3rd person action adventure genre. Story was solid, characters were solid, climbing and exploring was passable.  A few puzzles here and there, challenging but not difficult.  My god the combat is awful.  The mechanics of it are fine enough, but one kind of human need 8 bullets to kill him?!  I’m glad they included aim assist, but the combat gets arguably worse with each entry.
In uncharted, you do find treasures which is cool, but they are just kind of there.

I beat uncharted 2 last night as well, and Uncharted 2 starts incredibly strong with the media res, but quickly devolves to a passable cover based shooter.

When Tombraider comes back under crystal dynamics/square enix, they fixed the combat of uncharted, and my favorite things about this new tomb raider are:

Lara Croft is an interesting character again!  She has a fully fleshed out personality, and she’s not just some prissy british archaeologist girl. I mean she still kind of is that, but she feels more real because of her journal diaries, and her speculating about the treasures she finds.  When you find a relic or journal, not only do you get a description, but also she comments about it which both serves to inform the player of the importance of these things, as well as flesh out Lara’s archaeology genius.

And lastly that while finding the GPS caches is lame, I really enjoyed finding the relics and journals so I can get insight to the characters and some explanation of the treasures.

Now I have to buy the next two Tomb Raiders!

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I’m a big fan of Tomb Raider, I have played them all except for Angel of Darkness, which I started and I’m yet to finish it. I’m very fond of the old Tomb Raider not only for nostalgic reasons, but there was something about them that made them special for many fans, like the feeling of isolation and the focus on puzzles and exploration. Heck even finding hidden places and treasures like you mentioned was not only enjoyable but even necessary, as it was where you would find health packs and ammo. The new trilogy (and starting with Legend and Underworld, which I also enjoyed) are good and fun but steered too much into action.

I also prefer them over Uncharted, I feel like overall the gameplay, the tombs and even collectibles are way more meaningful and fun that the more linear and action packed structure of Uncharted. I recently played the 1st Uncharted as well and while enjoyable the shooting just got tedious after a while (not to mention the bullet sponge enemies)

It’s interesting to see your take on the character Celebreon, and while I agree with you that I liked her character in the 1st of the reboot trilogy, by the end of Shadow it just felt incoherent, there wasn’t much development and it was like a totally missed opportunity. I think many fans, myself included, ended up missing that prissy personality of the originals.

But you should definitely play the other two. Shadow of the Tomb Raider especially tones down the action for more exploration and has a lot of side tombs if you add the DLC ones, but it has a disappointing story imo.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-07-05

PM

operation valkyrie done

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2020-06-14

PM

Just finished the Bioshock Collection on Switch—all three games and DLCs—9/10

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I assume by Tombraider you played Shadows of the Tombraider right? I am waiting on a price drop, Tombraider games don’t hold their value very well. When it hits 19.95 I’ll bite. It sounds like a great game and I loved the last one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

No! the one I most recently beat was just called “Tomb Raider Definitive Edition”

I’m definitely on the look out for the sequels, RISE, and SHADOW, but I need to get them on consoles because my PC can barely run a word processor.

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Celebreon - 12 July 2020 08:57 PM

No! the one I most recently beat was just called “Tomb Raider Definitive Edition”

I’m definitely on the look out for the sequels, RISE, and SHADOW, but I need to get them on consoles because my PC can barely run a word processor.

Did you grab Rise on PS4? It was free with PSPlus this month. I got it and started replaying it and boy what a joy. I may sound like a fanboy but to me this is leagues above Uncharted. I was actually hesitant to start it because I have other games to play, including the Uncharted trilogy that I got when they gave it out for free and I haven’t play them in a while, but this just trumps it.

Uncharted may be better written and have better characterization, but everything from the Tombs that are a joy to explore and solve, the documents that give more depth to the world and gives context to the actions taking place, the treasures that not only have interesting descriptions from Lara showing her expertise but also fit within the context of the world and tell little stories. Heck even the action I find more exciting, with the use of the bow and stealth take downs. The treasures in Uncharted are just random stuff to pick up and it doesn’t give me any motivation to go out of my way to find them.

I used to criticize the focus on action of the survivor trilogy but the long stretches of time exploring finding Tombs and crypts that gives it that old school feeling of discovery and isolation almost makes it up for it. Uncharted for me feels just like a fun shooter with the occasional adventure passage but so linear and way more disposable. It’s a shame that they were better received and probably sold more. Sorry for the rant Yum

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Rise of the Tombraider is one of my favorite Tombraider games. I have played it several times and return for more.

Heart

Joined 2018-01-11

PM

I finished Infamous last night (looking forward to the sequel that I already have, but I didn’t like the start of second sons)

And today I finished Uncharted 3

Both are good games that were impressive at the time.

I think Uncharted 3 might be slightly improved upon 2, but mostly has the same flaws and strengths too.

Not a lot to say about them really ^_^

Total Posts: 310

Joined 2018-12-01

PM

Mikekelly - 03 August 2020 06:05 PM

Rise of the Tombraider is one of my favorite Tombraider games. I have played it several times and return for more.

Heart

Is Rise the 2nd or 3rd game of the reboot?

What I’d really love is a more or less historically accurate action tombraiding game. Something like Riddle of the Sphinx but with the jumping and reflex challenges of the classic Tomb Raiders. The later games got kind of ridiculous when we were supposed to believe a Mayan temple had these massive grinding wheels somehow powered by a magic crystal.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It’s the 2nd in the reboot series.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider (2018) is the 3rd one in that Trilogy.

Unfortunatly that has been the last Tomb Raider for now as the developer is making the Marvel Avengers game.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

One really nice thing about Rise was it included a VR mode where you got to explore the Manor and solve puzzles. I loved it and played it quite a few times. A nice little mini adventure.

Heart

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I just finished The Last of Us part 2 and wow what an experience. Just like I predicted I definitely fall into the category of people that love the game. I’m not sure yet if it’s a 10/10 or a masterpiece like a lot of reviewers were saying and I don’t think is as good as the 1st, but for me is definitely up there.

I for one liked and enjoyed the story and I have a deep appreciation for what they were trying to do, and this coming from someone that is not much into revenge tales. Sure there might be some issues and mishaps here and there as well as pacing issues, but overall I loved the experience. I felt things I don’t think I’ve felt before in a game. Also loved the gameplay, definitely a step up form the original. And didn’t have a problem at all with switching characters. I was a little annoyed at first when we start playing as Abby from Day 1, but I grew to like her and her arc (which kind of mirrors Joel’s form the the 1st game) and even ended liking her more than Ellie at the end.

One thing I’m so confused about is why people were freaking out so much with the leaks. I thankfully managed to avoid most spoilers, except for one point, but I’m so curious to know what was it in them that made people flip out. All the negativity and hate that happened after the leaks had me worried but I gave Naughty Dog the benefit of the doubt and for me they delivered. If I had known previously and without any context that Joel was going to be brutally murdered, that we were going to play as the killer, or that Ellie would become kind of the villain, I would have been super curious and excited to see how and why. It might have been a Game of Thrones kind of thing going on and people were seriously furious if their favorite character got murdered or Ellie didn’t turned up to be the character they wanted? Did they forget what he did on the 1st game? Or just because they played as him and grew attached to him think he’s a hero and deserved better? I really don’t understand gamers sometimes, but anyway…

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2020-09-23

PM

danigar - 17 September 2020 04:19 PM

I really don’t understand gamers sometimes, but anyway…

Although I haven’t played it seeing as I find the franchise really lame, I remember reading that all the hate was due to Abby being an hard-to-root & unrealistic mess of a character (and that infamously bizarre sex scene…) and because director Neil Druckmann got really political and kept expressing his views on male privilege & minorities ad nauseam, and then unsurprisingly killed off the male protag and pushed Ellie’s sexuality into the forefront. Also, it’s such a detailed, highly destructive and realistic environment yet the drooling all over a synagogue felt really iffy because it outright denied the option for the player to shoot at any of it—Druckmann is Jewish fyi.

I’ve finally tried Devil May Cry 5 and it’s a massive disappointment.

It poo-pooed all over every character, plot thread and overall tone from the previous Capcom entry(ies) in favor of the worst fanfic-tier writing imaginable. Those who’ve rightfully criticized Ninja Theory’s DmC for shifting everything way too much are now eating this one up even though it does mostly the same, praising to high heavens what amounts to a glorified Bloody Palace with disjointed story beats. Nothing adds up:

Why would the human-hating Vergil impregnate a rando? Why is Nero behaving like a psycho gf dumped by Dante? Why is Nero so unrecognizable in every single way, even mocking humans in suffering? Why are Lady & Trish treated way more disrespectfully than ever before? Why is this hobo-Dante so dumb? Why is J. D. Morrison black? Why does the Yamato suddenly do that when stabbings were always a thing? And what in the holy hell was even this:

The potential to an actual good story was there. Capcom could’ve echoed their other franchises by maintaining their until-then leitmotif: Nero could’ve found out that he’s in fact the by-product of DMC4-Agnus’s experiments similar to Breath of Fire 4 Yuna’s alchemical meddling of inhuman genes for power and progress. This would’ve given a proper role to his heartthrob too, Kyrie—instead of being a bland damsel in distress, she would’ve served as Nero’s anchor to humanity, restraining his metastasizing demon genes akin to Street Fighter’s Satsui no Hado.

But nooo, gotta bring back the fan favorite Vergil even if it means turning him into a cartoon villain and ruining other characters in the process.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top