• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DalediegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dishonored

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Imo goty all the way;an action game,that it is possible to play through without killing a single soul anyone played anything like this?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Yeah, I’m playing Deus Ex at the moment, which has much of the same design philosophy. Which is not a surprise, since one of the creative directors on Dishonored, Harvey Smith, was the lead designer on that game Smile

At least I think it’s possible to complete Deus Ex without killing a single person…

The “genre” is sometimes called ‘immersive sims’, also including games like the Thief series, Arx Fatalis and the System Shock series. Some people also include the Bioshock series.

There’s a Dishonored thread on the old forum:
http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29389&highlight=dishonored

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Jannik - 10 October 2012 04:37 AM

At least I think it’s possible to complete Deus Ex without killing a single person…

Yes but isnt Deus ex a rpg,i expect Dishonored a Bioshock like action game?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

No, there is one kill you can’t avoid (Anna Navarre).
But yes, you can complete the entire game without killing anyone else.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

TimovieMan - 10 October 2012 06:29 AM

No, there is one kill you can’t avoid (Anna Navarre).
But yes, you can complete the entire game without killing anyone else.

The original required you kill one character to proceed (Anna Navare), but gameplay-wise you didn’t have to do so through combat. He didn’t really say whether or not these required bosses have to be fought directly with guns or if there are other ways of killing them, which I guess would determine how much of a misstep it is.
Actually, no. You were not required to kill Anna. You could stay idly by and let her shoot Lebedev.
The one person you really had to kill is Walton Simons.
Actually you’re both in the wrong here.
You could actually get through the game without killing a single character. However with Anna Navarre you have to use an exploit (Last opportunity to face her is in UNATCO HQ) and make her run for and open a locked door that doesn’t open unless you take a key off her. The game still treats it as if you killed her even if she lives.
However with Gunther and Walton Simons lines that comments on their deaths that never comes up if you let them live.

Issue resolved?

Total Posts: 236

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I’m looking forward to playing it! I can’t wait to get my copy (hopefully) the end of this week! Grin

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Gabe - 10 October 2012 05:35 AM

It’s sort of both in a way that games similar to it have never really managed to replicate. Deus Ex is very much an RPG with its experience points, and skill management and stuff; but in terms of gameplay, it’s also unmistakeably an action game (in that success in what you do isn’t wholly dependent on your skill levels, just helped out by them).

Looking forward so much to ‘Dishonored’. My copy’s been dispatched and should be here in a couple of days; looking forward to getting that feeling I got from ‘Deus Ex’ and ‘Thief’ of being a smooth, stealthy operator (and annoying people around me in the process by talking about how shrewd I am).

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

This game does seem interesting. I’ve been craving something that lets me play instead of guiding me and telling me to go here, push this button, go there.

Games are so simplified and dumbed down these days.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

As a huge fan of Thief series, could not ask for more, many elements of Thief in there,
just waiting for free time to play further.

I wanted it to be great but from reviews i think this will be more than awesome.

Goty by Critics for sure.

Guys this game needs support, this is a rare experience, considering cinematic,linear, quicktime event based games of present era and October onslaught of big titles ,this new IP will be lost, so support it.

Edit: Just a heads up, Art Director is one who made City17 of Halflife2, he has done
amazing job here, you will see. The world is full of personality, adds alot to atmosphere and immersion.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Gabe - 10 October 2012 05:35 AM

Well, Deus Ex is a hybrid of action game, stealth game and RPG. While I haven’t played Dishonored (yet), it seems very similar, and even has an upgrade system, and the same “multiple paths, multiple solutions” gameplay.

But, yes, in Dishonored, according to reviews, etc, you can “only” upgrade abillities, gadgets and weapons; there’s no skill system.

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

nomadsoul - 10 October 2012 04:14 PM

As a huge fan of Thief series, could not ask for more, many elements of Thief in there,

This makes me even more excited (as you can likely see through my username).

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Here some player reviews:

Dishonored is not really “stealth”, it just emulates the feeling: light conditions don’t matter, as long as you are sneaking, nor does the surface you step on.Blood stains don’t matter and strangely enough, guards ignore dropped swords, pistols and other stuff dropped by their fallen comrades. All you need to do is stay behind an obstacle, a little bit further away or above your enemy -any of these 3 conditions make you 100% invisible. Anyone who has played Thief, knows there is MUCH MUCH more to it then that.

I think of stealth gameplay like solving a puzzle. It’s an organic puzzle that requires patience and insight and timing and a little bit of luck, and for me that’s the whole appeal. When a game hybridizes itself though, it inherently loses some of the complexity that made pure stealth so interesting. At its worst, stealth either becomes trivially easy or insultingly difficult.

I have to say I’m a bit let down. It’s good, but it’s not 9/10 good. I’m a bit surprised at all the heavy duty praise it’s getting.
The graphics are dated, the influences from games like Bioshock are too strong… feels a bit ripoffish. Everything about the setting, events, characters, all feels borrowed from an earlier game. Maybe I’m suffering from having played too many of the games’ influences, but what can I say? It feels like a sewn together Frankenstein’s monster of Bioshock, Thief, Half-Life 2 (so reminded of the Combine by the overseers structures etc) etc etc…
I don’t mean to sound too negative, it is good. Just, not as amazing as I allowed myself to hope after I saw some of these reviews.
For my money, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, though far from perfect, does the same basic goals far better.

Now kind of dissappointed that turns out game’s stealth element overstated by writers and obvious ripoff design elements.. anyway will keep on waiting for Thi4f.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hammerite - 10 October 2012 05:54 PM
nomadsoul - 10 October 2012 04:14 PM

This makes me even more excited (as you can likely see through my username).

Dude , there is an Easter Egg from Thief 1 too, which i won’t spoil ofcourse. Smile

I use to play Thief2 once a year, skipped this year for this game.

@Gabe

That reviewer doesn’t know what he is talking about, no clue at all to the point
of laughable. I can challenge his knowledge and argument but i guess the positive reviews are enough to spread good word of mouth , some lost souls were anticipated, heck even there are PS3 users not buying the game under impression that its Bethesda game, made by them on their Skyrim/Fallout engine, even more funny is that many are calling it Assassin Creed wannabe.

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Just got to the sewers. I like this game so far. I’m so shrewd and stealthy and shrewd and smart.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hammerite - 12 October 2012 05:34 PM

Just got to the sewers. I like this game so far. I’m so shrewd and stealthy and shrewd and smart.

There is Life of the Party (Thief2) type level too in this game (the guy who did party level worked for this game and this new level), so do all side missions too and explore.
No this is not easter egg thats something else.

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

I want a mod where the guards call me a taffer.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top