• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserMike the WinoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Looking For A Good RPG For A Newbie

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

You could try Deus Ex - Human Revolution- it has a pretty decent story (if you are into the illuminati and the new world order), you can play through the game using a combat play style or a stealth oriented one, it has hubs with sidequests and it`s not exceptionally long.

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

danigar - 20 November 2015 05:54 PM

Skyrim (feel intimidated by length and the type of hardcore RPG that I would have to deal with)

If you concentrate on the main story, and only do a few side-quests, it’s not longer than most RPGs (30-50 hours).
http://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9859

I don’t think the ‘RPG-ness’ will scare you either - it’s somewhere between casual and hardcore, not far from Mass Effect. The core systems are pretty easy to get into, and some stuff - like crafting, alchemy, smithing, farming - is (mostly?) optional.

Chrono Trigger (not sure if it would be hard to get into or if it’s too long).

It’s not long, about 25-30 hours according to How Long to Beat.

Haven’t completed it myself, and I can’t remember the RPG-systems in detail, but the combat itself is pretty simple. And so far (about 5 hours in), the game is very good and charming. Can’t remember if you can influence the story, but the game is quite interactive. No random encounters (enemies are visible on the map), which to me is a plus (a few random encounters can be nice, to mix things up , but some JRPGs over do it).

Maybe try Final Fantasy VII, too - I also haven’t completed that one, but it should take you 40-50 hours. While it’s “old school” it’s not that complex - it automatically level the characters up. So you spend your time placing stones on their gear to make them better/different, use items, etc. The random encounter rate can be high at times, though. But it’s considered a classic, and a like it quite a bit so far (40 hours). EDIT: It’s not reactive in terms of plot and storytelling, but that just means the story is more focused, and you can sometimes choose which characters you want to travel with, making the experience more personalized.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

If you don’t mind the graphics Chrono Trigger is a great game to try JRPG and not that long like Jannik said and takes away most of the annoying stuff from JRPGs from that time.

Witcher 2 also is a very good option since it has a great story, not that long and side quest stuff is usually very good.

I think Skyrim loses some of the charm if tou just concentrate on the main story, the fun in there is exploring and that can take a long time (but very rewarding). The combat is simple enough.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I can second Deus Ex - Human Revolution.
It is probably THE game that is most similar to Mass Effect (that I know of). It is a RPG-shooter just like ME, it is a sci-fi story with very high emphasis on the story, and it has a very simple levelling and weapons system. The main difference is that it also has a very high emphasis on stealth and takes place in urban environments.

Another game that also might be what you are looking for is Risen 3: Titan Lords.
And, yeah, I know! It is perhaps not the most obvious recommendation and generally not celebrated as the greatest RPG that has ever been made. BUT it is still a very entertaining (pirate themed) RPG, and more importantly, it is a great beginners game for someone who has never played an RPG before. It has a very simple combat, levelling, stats and item system that you don’t need to spend countless hours managing, and it is overall a fairly easy game. It is a bit more open world than ME, but not as much as Skyrim.

Another thing that I also like about it, is that it doesn’t take itself as serious as most other RPGs do, and actually has quite a bit of humour. For example rum works as healing potions, there is voodoo and ghosts not to mention voodoo ghost pirates, and pretty much everybody are people of low moral fibre in one way or another.

P.S. Witcher 2 is an absolutely horrible game imo.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 21 November 2015 11:00 AM

Seriously? I can understand criticizing the combat system, but the whole game horrible?

Total Posts: 495

Joined 2008-07-23

PM

Women come and go… a highscore lasts forever

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 21 November 2015 12:48 PM

Seriously? I can understand criticizing the combat system, but the whole game horrible?

Well, technically I don’t know if the whole game is horrible, as I only played about 5-7 hours before dumping it Wink

BUT the terrible combat system and a severe case of consolitis is only half of my problem with this game. My main problem is that you start with a 15 minutes cutscene, then it pauses and tells you to kill someone, as soon as the battle is over you get a new cutscene, kill someone else, new cutscene, new battle, new cutscene, battle, cutscene ... At no point during the 5-7 hours I played was I actually in control of the protagonist or felt like I was playing a game, instead it felt like a movie that occasionally paused to let me do a bit of fighting - Kind of similar to what Telltale does, and most of you probably already know how I feel about Telltales games.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 21 November 2015 04:44 PM
wilco - 21 November 2015 12:48 PM

Well, technically I don’t know if the whole game is horrible, as I only played about 5-7 hours before dumping it Wink

BUT the terrible combat system and a severe case of consolitis is only half of my problem with this game. My main problem is that you start with a 15 minutes cutscene, then it pauses and tells you to kill someone, as soon as the battle is over you get a new cutscene, kill someone else, new cutscene, new battle, new cutscene, battle, cutscene ... At no point during the 5-7 hours I played was I actually in control of the protagonist or felt like I was playing a game, instead it felt like a movie that occasionally paused to let me do a bit of fighting - Kind of similar to what Telltale does, and most of you probably already know how I feel about Telltales games.

I think you’re talking about the tutorial/prologue, it’s clunky but I don’t think it’s that long. After Geralt escapes the prison and arrives at the Flotsam the game opens up a lot.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 21 November 2015 06:32 PM

I think you’re talking about the tutorial/prologue, it’s clunky but I don’t think it’s that long. After Geralt escapes the prison and arrives at the Flotsam the game opens up a lot.

Tutorial, no, that was a separate and optional entity, though I seem to recall reading that the tutorial was added to the game later. Prologue, perhaps, but it was excruciatingly bad and together with the other problems, enough to make me quit the game.

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

Thanks guys for the recommendations. So I’m leaning towards Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it seems to be safest choice in terms with being similar to Mass Effect, especially because I love stealth. My only concern is that I tried the original one a few years ago as it was being lauded as the best thing ever, but for some reason I couldn’t get into it. Maybe this time it would be different Smile I’ve been itching for a fantasy themed RPG though, that’s why I had Dragon Age, Skyrim and Witcher as my main contenders, but now I don’t know. So what do you guys think if I start with The Witcher 3 which seems to have the best reputation, would I be lost if I didn’t play the first 2? (I’ll also have to hold while I upgrade my PC because I don’t know if I can run it though)

I think I’ll also give Chrono Trigger a try. I’ve been curious about JRPGs for the longest time and seems like the best choice to ease me into the genre. Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

danigar - 22 November 2015 11:15 AM

I’ve been itching for a fantasy themed RPG though

Why not go for the middle ground between Mass Effect and fantasy - Star Wars!

Both Knights of the Old Republic games are great RPGs, they aren’t super long, and they aren’t hardcore in their RPG elements. In fact, they might be a good way to ease you into “harder” RPGs in the future. The first KotOR was my own first introduction to the genre, and it was immediately one of the best games too!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Iznogood - 22 November 2015 10:23 AM
wilco - 21 November 2015 06:32 PM

Tutorial, no, that was a separate and optional entity, though I seem to recall reading that the tutorial was added to the game later. Prologue, perhaps, but it was excruciatingly bad and together with the other problems, enough to make me quit the game.

Yes, now I remember it’s just the prologue, the 3 missions with the king and escaping the dungeon. The tutorial was added later.

@danigar

You won’t be lost, a lot of people started with Witcher 3, you’ll probably miss some references at first but nothing that isn’t explained. I still recommend Witcher 2 but 3 is better in every way and the best open-world RPG fantasy game out there.

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

There’s the fallout series. Fallout 4 just came out but i would recommend the old school fallout 1 & 2 first since fallout 3 & 4 are very different as those 2 are the currently standard open world first person player type of gameplay. Fallout 1 & 2 are from a old school isometric point of view.
Fallout 1 & 2 was awesome, especially fallout 2. The amount of options on the skills upgrade was great although like all RPG games , starting out , you are weak as piss and takes a while before you can build up your character.

History of the fallout games.

For JRPGs , all the old school JRPGs are the best like old school adventure games. The likes of Grandia , chrono trigger & Final fantasy VII & VIII have been mentioned , i would recommend the lunar series.

Lunar 1 : Silver star story

Lunar 2 : Eternal Blue

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

danigar - 22 November 2015 11:15 AM

My only concern is that I tried the original one a few years ago as it was being lauded as the best thing ever, but for some reason I couldn’t get into it.

I also tried the original Deus Ex some years ago, and like you never really got into it, but absolutely loved DE:HR. So I wouldn’t be concerned about that.

I haven’t played Witcher 3, so I can comment on that, but if you are looking for fantasy you could also start with Dragon Age Inquisition instead. It is also a third in the series but you don’t really have to have played the first two first, as it has a separate story and new protagonist. It is also one of the best RPG of recent years (not just imo), and made by the same company that made ME, so it has some of the same trademarks like being able to romance one of your companions. It might be a bit longer than what you are looking for, at least if you play all areas and all side-quest, but if you concentrate on the main story then you should be able to complete it within your time-frame.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

For a fantasy dog in the mass effect vein….Is jade empire still available to. Buy.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top