• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do you know any adventures with an authentic gothic feel?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 13 May 2021 02:42 AM

I’m not completely sure about what is Gothic and what not, but I’m thinking of

“Gothic” is a word that people can randomly use for darker colours and some kind of horror.
Just like “cyberpunk” is a random buzz-word for science fiction, regardless of whether there’s any “cyber” or “punk” in it.

I don’t pretend to be an expert, but I think from the screenshots posted in this thread maybe one or two would be Gothic, whereas the rest would not.

And it’s not about darker colours, really.

Gothic architecture has certain shapes, gothic paintings include very colourful things painted on glass and so on.

Of course, if we are talking about rock subculture and Goths who follow that, then we have a different thing altogether with black lipstick, heavy eyeliners, etc.
Even so, not very many of these screenshots are Gothic in that sense either, if you ask me.

So, to the OP: what “authentic” feel are you looking for?
The historical medieval art style, or the rock subculture that began in the 1970’s?

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 17 May 2021 04:52 AM

Gothic architecture has certain shapes, gothic paintings include very colourful things painted on glass and so on.

I actually wanted to post a screen from Gabriel Knight 2 for that reason, but decided it wasn’t about the architecture after all. I’m pretty sure the OP was talking about Gothic horror which is a separate subgenre in horror fiction.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 17 May 2021 12:06 PM

I’m pretty sure the OP was talking about Gothic horror which is a separate subgenre in horror fiction.

Possibly.

But when the title of the thread asks for something “authentic” and then the first screenshot is from a cartoony comedy game, it’s really impossible to tell what we are talking about here.

Total Posts: 46

Joined 2007-09-01

PM

Gothic-comedy isn’t necessarily inauthentic. I know Jane Austin wrote a gothic-parody novel in the 19th century, and I’m sure there are other such novels, both written at that time and newer.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2017-05-04

PM

Hopefully this is not considered Spam, but… we’re working on a game that fits perfectly with this forum thread and it was hard to resist the temptation!

Some may already know about it, there’s a thread on the forum and it’s been featured in the site. It’s called The Season of the Warlock, and it’s a dark comedy (comedy, yeah, but mysterious one!) inspired by the gothic tale tradition, and Roger Corman’s horror classics, or the ones from Hammer Productions. We recently released a first teaser, in case you missed it: https://adventuregamers.com/videos/view/the-season-of-the-warlock-teaser-trailer

There’s more in the screenshots section of the game details page here at AG: https://adventuregamers.com/screenshots/view/26219

We’ll be glad if you let us know what you think!

Currently developing: The Season of the Warlock

Wishlist in Steam if you like it, please! It helps a lot!

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I actually wanted to post a screen from Gabriel Knight 2 for that reason, but decided it wasn’t about the architecture after all. I’m pretty sure the OP was talking about Gothic horror which is a separate subgenre in horror fiction.

The origins of gothic architecture started in the 12th century and lasted well into the 16th. So, I guess you could combine the two and say that any game that plays within that time frame fits the bill, whether it has a horror orientation or not.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

rtrooney - 17 May 2021 04:29 PM

The origins of gothic architecture started in the 12th century and lasted well into the 16th. So, I guess you could combine the two and say that any game that plays within that time frame fits the bill, whether it has a horror orientation or not.

Yeah, the colloquial interpretation of ‘gothic’ has always been somewhat misty. Maybe it’s like the famous line from that famous Supreme Court case. “I don’t know what [it] is, but I know it when I see it.”

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Definition of Gothic:

1 : a member of a Germanic people that overran the Roman Empire in the early centuries of the Christian era
2 often not capitalized
a : rock music marked by dark and morbid lyrics
b : a fan or performer of goth
3 : a person who wears mostly black clothing, uses dark dramatic makeup, and often has dyed black hair

4 : Of relating to, or having the characteristics of a style of architecture developed in northern France and spreading through western Europe from the middle of the 12th century to the early 16th century that is characterized by the converging of weights and strains at isolated points upon slender vertical piers and counterbalancing buttresses and by pointed arches and vaulting
Gothic cathedrals
b : of or relating to an architectural style reflecting the influence of the medieval Gothic

5 : of or relating to a style of fiction characterized by the use of desolate or remote settings and macabre, mysterious, or violent incidents

The games I recommended fit the definition of Gothic quite well, The Black Mirror series. They don’t get more gothic than these, filled with desolation and violent incidents.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5050

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not sure where you found your definitions. Other than your 1, aka Visigoths, and your recognition of architecture, I’m not sure where any of the others can be found as definitions other than you saying they are.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 17 May 2021 09:07 PM

Not sure where you found your definitions. Other than your 1, aka Visigoths, and your recognition of architecture, I’m not sure where any of the others can be found as definitions other than you saying they are.

Typed in “Gothic definition” and “Goth definition” in goggle. The definitions are from the Oxford language dictionary and the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5594

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Copied from my Mac dictionary, which is similar to Adv_Lvr’s sources:

Gothic |ˈgäTHik|
adjective
1 of or relating to the Goths or their extinct East Germanic language, which provides the earliest manuscript evidence of any Germanic language (4th–6th centuries ad).
2 of or in the style of architecture prevalent in western Europe in the 12th–16th centuries, characterized by pointed arches, rib vaults, and flying buttresses, together with large windows and elaborate tracery.
3 (also pseudoarchaic Gothick)belonging to or redolent of the Dark Ages; portentously gloomy or horrifying: 19th-century Gothic horror.
4 (of lettering) of or derived from the angular style of handwriting with broad vertical downstrokes used in western Europe from the 13th century, including Fraktur and black-letter typefaces.
5 (gothic)of or relating to goths or their rock music.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I’m assuming the OP meant goth in the sense of the modern subculture, fashion style, musical style, etc. Which would consist of art depicting gloomy, melancholy and macabre subjects and imagery, drawing influence from writers like Edgar Allen Poe. Music like The Cure, Siouxsie and The Banshees or Rosetta Stone. And a style of dress that draws from the aesthetics of Old English fashion mixed with a dark 70’s~80’s punk rock sensibility.

A classic example in gaming would be: American Mcgee’s Alice.

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

PlanetX - 18 May 2021 05:40 AM

I’m assuming the OP meant goth in the sense of the modern subculture, fashion style, musical style, etc. Which would consist of art depicting gloomy, melancholy and macabre subjects and imagery, drawing influence from writers like Edgar Allen Poe. Music like The Cure, Siouxsie and The Banshees or Rosetta Stone. And a style of dress that draws from the aesthetics of Old English fashion mixed with a dark 70’s~80’s punk rock sensibility.

A classic example in gaming would be: American Mcgee’s Alice.

Oooh, Alice was a fun game! It wasn’t a mechanical masterpiece, but it was an imaginative dark journey with interesting characters and environments that made you want to keep going just to see what the heck might be coming next.
And I played it during my ‘I see a Care Bear and I want it painted black’ phase, so I think it definitely counts as goth.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top