• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Unable to change my avatar

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Still sounds cache related.

Your avatar gets saved as a generic name: avatar_[your user id].[fileformat],  so if you’ve never uploaded using a gif before, there won’t be anything cached.  You might run into the same issue were you to upload another gif now.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Dale - 21 December 2016 12:51 PM

Still sounds cache related.

Your avatar gets saved as a generic name: avatar_[your user id].[fileformat],  so if you’ve never uploaded using a gif before, there won’t be anything cached.  You might run into the same issue were you to upload another gif now.

Okay, so what can be done about it?
P.S. Emptying my cache doesn’ seem to make much difference.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

There seems to be a new, bigger avatar-related problem now. Ivo knows about it, though, and will look into it.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

He must have done because now my new avatar works! Hurray!

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

What I’ve seen the forum do is that the image you have as an avatar image, is always the same URL. Due to that there’s always a level of ‘caching’ that your browser does as well as our systems. This is why it keeps your old avatar for a while (A ‘hard’ refresh generally fixes that, press the SHIFT button on your computer and press F5).

I’m looking into if I can change the setting so it changes the URL every time, that would directly resolve the issue.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks, Calimonk. Sorry to put you to all that trouble. Maybe it’s best if I stop changing my avatar every week.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I believe I’ve “fixed” it for now, not really how I’d ideally like to do this, but should work for now.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

CaliMonk - 22 December 2016 10:49 AM

I believe I’ve “fixed” it for now, not really how I’d ideally like to do this, but should work for now.

OK, I’ve properly fixed it now Smile

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

In the past, I’ve always had to refresh whatever page I was on to see my new avatar.  The new one would then appear everywhere.  I just thought it was a quirk of the board’s software, but it’s good to know it’s fixed now.  Thumbs Up

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Thanks CaliMonk!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i cant change my avatar, i get this msg “The form you submitted contained the following errors, The file could not be written to disk”
tho it has the legit size and dimension?
any idea that could help.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Hmm.. Nothing I see wrong just right now, do you have any specifics on the image you’re adding?

The server has over 40GB free so that’s certainly not the issue

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Changed a setting that should supposedly resolve your issue. I don’t get it myself, but some ‘googling’ revealed a setting that impacts this.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

THANKSS CaliMonk, it worked!!

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

The old problem has returned. When I change my avatar, I still see the old one. Cleaning my cache or Shift + F5 doesn’t help.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top