• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Toonstruck Unseen/Unused backgrounds and animations

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2021-03-07

PM

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone knows this but Laura Janczewska, who was a background/character animator on Toonstruck, has recently been uploading videos with commentary showing off some animations and background shots from various locations in the game. This even includes locations that were cut that were meant to be in the 2nd half/sequel to the game.

Currently, shes just uploaded footage she has for Nerfarious castle, and will be uploading Cutopia footage next, hopefully after that we might get Zanydu and possibly some of the unseen locations that we know from screenshots over the years

Her channel is here; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBHajBLIr_jXLU2P3dghImg/featured

Total Posts: 837

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Boy would I love a sequel to this game. I played it recently, and although some of the humor (the s&m cows, namely) doesn’t hold up, it is still at top 10, maybe even top 5, adventure game for me.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I liked the concept so much better than the execution. In my opinion the stuff that works really works, but the stuff that doesnt fails miserably

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 March 2021 04:11 PM

I liked the concept so much better than the execution. In my opinion the stuff that works really works, but the stuff that doesnt fails miserably

Could you give some examples? I would agree with you on some of the humor and *maybe* certain characters or plot devices, but in terms of gameplay I think it’s darn near perfect. One of the precious few games where, no matter how long I was stuck for, I knew that the solution was gettable, I just had to look a little harder or think a little harder. I play *a lot* of adventure games (as do we all, I reckon), and that is a difficult balance to strike. In many good but lesser games, I know after being stuck for an hour that I could be here for eternity and still wouldn’t find the solution. On the best ones, you might play for an hour and barely be any closer, but you are still somehow confident that you’ll get it in the next five minutes.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 08 March 2021 06:42 PM

Could you give some examples? I would agree with you on some of the humor and *maybe* certain characters or plot devices, but in terms of gameplay I think it’s darn near perfect. One of the precious few games where, no matter how long I was stuck for, I knew that the solution was gettable, I just had to look a little harder or think a little harder. I play *a lot* of adventure games (as do we all, I reckon), and that is a difficult balance to strike. In many good but lesser games, I know after being stuck for an hour that I could be here for eternity and still wouldn’t find the solution. On the best ones, you might play for an hour and barely be any closer, but you are still somehow confident that you’ll get it in the next five minutes.

As you pointed out the humor. I think a lot of it misses. Im not a huge fan of the puzzle logic, it is not zany enough. The game feels like a bootleg looney tunes cartoon. I didnt get attached to any of the characters, they come and go way too fast.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 March 2021 10:49 PM
Baron_Blubba - 08 March 2021 06:42 PM

As you pointed out the humor. I think a lot of it misses. Im not a huge fan of the puzzle logic, it is not zany enough. The game feels like a bootleg looney tunes cartoon. I didnt get attached to any of the characters, they come and go way too fast.

Interesting! I thought the puzzles were perfectly zany—I LOVED having to take the #@$!% symbols from the characters in the novelty shop to use in a different place! But…I would also love to see what the game would be like with even zanier logic!
Yes, a lot of the characters are not very lovable/likable/connect-to-able. Sometimes intentionally, and sometimes they are obviously just puzzles more than they are characters. But this was no worse than you’d find in many really good adventure games.
Some of the characters *were* very annoying. Perhaps intentionally so, but that doesn’t necessarily make them more bearable. <—-This is a very very hard tightrope to walk when writing unlikable characters. You want the reader/player/viewer to dislike your character, but not to the point where the character makes your work less enjoyable to experience.
Similarly, I reckon it’s challenging to write characters who are adventure game obstacles/puzzles, but also feel like real and organic characters.

Writing is hard!

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Baron_Blubba - 08 March 2021 01:58 PM

Boy would I love a sequel to this game. I played it recently, and although some of the humor (the s&m cows, namely) doesn’t hold up, it is still at top 10, maybe even top 5, adventure game for me.

I think S&M cow thing was funny, maybe not very intelligent, but so random that it works.

“Activate cloaking device” though, a one-line gag that is one of the best in the genre, ever.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

GateKeeper - 09 March 2021 01:28 PM
Baron_Blubba - 08 March 2021 01:58 PM

I think S&M cow thing was funny, maybe not very intelligent, but so random that it works.

“Activate cloaking device” though, a one-line gag that is one of the best in the genre, ever.

YES! “Activate cloaking device” was one of those parts that I loaded my last saved game just so I could video it and send the clip to my brother!

The cows I thought was a relic of the 90’s when s&m seems to have been frequently used to be humorously edgy, or edgily humorous. I don’t think it holds up.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

the characters were not likeable or memorable to me, and christopher lloyd looked like he was phoning it in but that’s just my opinion. the game is not bad by any stretch, i did enjoy it, but it would not be anywhere close to my top 5 adventure games of all time.

Joined 2021-03-07

PM

New video

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I participated in the community playthrough of Toonstruck here in 2015, and I really had fun with it.  Seeing these animation videos makes me realize just how much work goes into making one scene, so thank you for posting them here Calculon.

Carpe chocolate.

Joined 2021-03-07

PM

Another new video showing off Kings Hugh’s Palace, including the throne room and balcony areas that were not seen and a early character model of the footman

Joined 2021-03-07

PM

New video showing Zayndu, including the wild west section

Joined 2021-03-07

PM

New video showing areas of the Malevolands including the unseen Swamp Hen location and behind the Robot Makers store

Joined 2021-03-07

PM

Laura has just uploaded her final video on the files she has for Toonstruck

This features Monitors, remaining cutscenes and locations including the dentist, an attic and Drews childhood bedroom

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top