• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserMike the WinortrooneySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Upcoming adventure games you’re REALLY excited about

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Alright, so going through my rather extensive “upcoming games” wishlist I caught myself thinking that while I generally would love to give all of them a try and am looking forward to the release, there’s a handful that I’m REALLY EXCITED about. Do you know the feeling?

You’re browsing and thinking “Oh,this one looks cool. Oh, and I’m looking forward to this one too. This one is from the developer I like, so I’ll pick it up for sure…” And then you come across a title where it just hits all the right notes for you, and you just KNOW. You just know that the second this title hits the proverbial shelf you will give your money to the developer just for the chance that this game will be exactly what you wanted it to be.

Since I like discovering games that strike that rare chord with me, I’d like to share what I’m anticipating the most and look into other people’s choices. Let’s see if we discover that, maybe, lots of us are looking forward to one particular game, or maybe someone will give everyone else something new to get excited about. 

The game can be coming out next month or in 2023 - doesn’t matter, please share what makes your heart beat just a little bit faster when your eyes fall upon the name of the title.

In no particular order, mine (at the moment) are:

Nine Witches Family Disruption - classic point’n'click with some action-y parts, set in WWII. Love the setting and the pixel graphic style. Demo is available.

Joel Mayers Purgatory  - horror pnc that looks entirely up my alley with pixelated Gothic vibes.

Lord Winklebottom Investigates  - Giraffe Holmes and Hippo Watson investigate mystery during 1920s. British humor. SOLD.

Slender Threads  - spooky and intriguing adventure that looks well-polished (and when the demo was available during Steam festival showed well-integrated puzzles)

Port Valley - this game has a look of part retro/part RPG-maker game, and if it doesn’t seem appealing to you - I highly recommend the demo on Steam, it’s a funny game with some 4th wall breaking stuff and self-deprecating humor.

Letters a written adventure  -adventure based on words, told in letters and e-mails where you are a part of the writing. Original concept, fun demo on Steam.

Buddy Simulator 1984  - If you like retro text-based adventures and horror - give this one a try. I haven’t had so much fun with a demo (available on Steam) in a very long time. It’s probably one of the top 5 adventures I anticipate the most.

Strangeland - one look at this game, and I was won over. Wadjet Eye.Wormwood.

Theropods - tried the demo at one of the festivals just because it was there, was absolutely impressed with one of the most logical sequence of puzzles I’ve come across in a while. I believe it is still available on Gamejolt.

The Drifter  - a self-described “pulp adventure thriller” that looks this beautiful? YES.

Norco Faraway Lights  - one of those cases where the screenshots just speak my name. Gorgeous-looking graphics + cyberpunk.

Orwells Animal Farm  - you can see what book this adventure is based on, so that’s an automatic buy.

A Space For The Unbound  - this is more story and exploration-based adventure (which is not my usual preference), but the prologue that is available on Steam made me wishlist this on the spot. Great writing and stunning visuals.

Project A  - Please look at the Steam page of this game and tell me what is it I’m looking at. Because I don’t know. And I want to know. Sam Barlow is doing something weird.

Cyanide Happiness Freakpocalypse  - Ended up a big fan of “gross high school, but also sarcastic smart-ass” type of humor that I found here, so I can only hope that it will get released this year.

FAITH The Unholy Trinity  - not sure if I got it across that I’m a horror fan, but if we’re talking about deadly mix of retro + horror + difficult puzzles and multiple endings - this is close to perfect. First chapters available online for free.

The Big Con  - They got me at “hustle through the 90s”. Everything based on the 90s culture = automatic yes, take my money.

Share yours!

Total Posts: 260

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

Games from your list that are also on mine:
-Slender Threads
-Port Valley
-Strangeland
-Theropods

Now to my additions:
Just Take Your Left The humor in the trailer reminds me of old cartoons like Pink Panther. It’s release ist very close, too: Nov. 18th.

IDID:IT (Inexplicable Deaths in Damnopolis: Inner Thoughts) You awaken to find that you’re the only survivor of a dinner party. Unfortunately, you can’t remember a thing, so you have to investigate what happened. Release: Dec. 10th. Yes, this year.

Children of Lumera I love fantasy adventures and hand drawn 2D graphics. This one’s so beautiful.

Justin Wack and the Big Time Hack I really liked the demo.

INCANTAMENTUM The developers have already proven that they can tell an intriguing story, and the demo made me want more immediately.

Crowns and Pawns: Kingdom of Deceit Games in the spirit of Broken Sword are always Welcome.

The Tideshell Keeper Another beautiful (mostly) 2D adventure in a foreign world.

Rosewater After Lamplight City and the demo, Rosewater ist a must-buy for me.

Lost in Play And the third 2D fantasy themed adventure, though this time it’s probably just the imagination of the protagonists. Doesn’t it look just like a cartoon?

Lammana I don’t care how many decades it takes Darkling Room to finish this one. First person horror point & click adventures are another of my favorites, I’ve really enjoyed Ghost Vigil, and the found footage concept for an adventure game is an interesting idea.

Henry Mosse and the Wormhole Conspiracy The trailers tell me that this one may match my kind of humor, so I’m looking forward to it.

Plot of the Druid It reminds me of some really good classics. Play the demo, you might like it, too.

Trip the Ark Fantastic I’m gettin Inherit the Earth vibes from this one.

Born Punk It’s a lot darker than most games on my list, but I have a thing for cyberpunk thrillers and other sci-fi games. This one looks very intriguing, and you can play at least one chapter as a cat. What’s not to love?

Watch Over Christmas It’s looking good, it’s holiday themed, and I’m going to play it next year.

Lucid Adventure Solving puzzles between the “real” world and the dream world? Sounds intereting. Count me in.

Scene Investigators So I have to solve crimes just looking at things and deducing the details from the evidence I find? I’m really going to suck at this, as the demo has already proven, but I want it anyway.

STASIS: Bone Totem I’ve only played the first game recently and could hardly even stop. I should probably play the demo, but I don’t want any spoilers.

Nightmare Frames A happless movie writer is looking for the lost most scary movie ever. Sounds fun.

Dexter Sturdust Another humorous 2D sci-fi adventure. There’s a demo on Gamejolt.

The Mystery of Oak Island I’ve been following this games’ development for years now, and I firmly believe that it’s going to be good.

ASYLUM A horror adventure from the mind behind Scratches. The next demo is going to be pretty advanced with full puzzles and voice acting.

Inspectof Waffles The Demo made me feel like a true investigator.

Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark If you haven’t played the first game yet, do so. There’s a good chance that you’re also going to want this afterwards.

3 Minutes to Midnight The description sounds hilarious and intriguing.

Dark Tides A 3rd person horror adventure set in the Victorian times of an alternate history.

If on a Winter’s Night Four Travellers… Pixel art horror with four different stories tied together by a train ride.

Castle Dornstein It’s from the developers of Metaphobia.

Old Skies It’s from Wadjet Eye. That’s all I need to know.

Edit:
I’ve forgotten two.

One Helluve DayThe Demo got me stuck, and there are two solutions to each puzzle - a nice one and a mean one.

Dark Fall V Because I love the series.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

LittleRose - 15 November 2020 05:24 PM

Now to my additions:

Children of Lumera

I had my eye on the development of this stunning game for awhile. I hope it will come to Steam soon.

Justin Wack and the Big Time Hack

INCANTAMENTUM

Rosewater

Born Punk

Also waiting for these!

Lost in Play

Scene Investigators

Thank you for these - my first time hearing about them. Added to wishlist!

And, man, I wish Mystery of Oak Island would already come out… I don’t know if there’s hope still. I don’t really follow development closely, but it seems that it was very little progress…

Also I also liked the overall feel of Henry Mosse, but then I tried the demo (seems like it still might be available on itch.io), and it left me lukewarm. It just felt very slow in a way. It’s been awhile since it was released though, so it might be completely different now. I’m still interested in checking it out. Smile

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

DCast - 16 November 2020 04:16 PM

And, man, I wish Mystery of Oak Island would already come out… I don’t know if there’s hope still. I don’t really follow development closely, but it seems that it was very little progress…

Also I also liked the overall feel of Henry Mosse, but then I tried the demo (seems like it still might be available on itch.io), and it left me lukewarm. It just felt very slow in a way. It’s been awhile since it was released though, so it might be completely different now. I’m still interested in checking it out. Smile

There is hope. I’m also active in a German forum where the developers announce their kickstarter updates every couple of months. The pandemic has slowed them down a lot, but they’re still working on it. They’re currently in the middle of voice recordings. There have also been some changes to the engine, but I don’t think that it’s going to take them more than a year now.

Regarding Henry Mosse, I wasn’t aware of the demo. So thank you for that.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

DCast - 15 November 2020 03:35 PM

Letters a written adventure
Strangeland
The Drifter
Norco Faraway Lights
The Big Con

Never heard of the Letters game, that looks fun, the other four are really high up on my most anticipated list.

Born Punk
Nightmare Frames
The Mystery of Oak Island
Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark
Old Skies

All of these I am looking forward to as well.

Now to add a few:

Tex Murphy: The Poisoned Pawn - the latest Tex Murphy game was great, so I am hopeful this one will also deliver.

Imposter Factory - Third game in the To the Moon series, the first two were really great.

Lake - There’s something about the Pacific North West that just gets me super stoked.

Backbone - I’m a backer for this one and it’s set in Vancouver, which is cool.

Maquette - looks like a great environmental puzzle game from Annapurna in the vein of The Witness or Superliminal.

Stray - cyberpunk game also from Annapurna where you play as a cat, looks beautiful.

Perfect Tides - looks like it captures the spirit of the 90’s better than a lot of other games that are trying to invoke nostalgia.

The Crimson Diamond - I’ve never played the Laura Bow games, but this looks like a spiritual successor and takes place in Ontario.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

I am almost shocked. I recently went through several sources in different languages and got about 200 new games to my lists, but somehow you people have some here listed that I had never heard about! I wonder what sources those came from, but nice to know about them now.

Anyway, I listed these in another thread and I copied them here in case you didn’t read that thread:

Cascadia Quest is like an old Sierra game, with parser input and all that.

Framing Dawes is a randomly picked 2D adventure from many similar games.

Orbis Fugae, I recall talking about this game before, maybe it was another thread or even another forum altogether, who knows…

Monorail Stories, I don’t know if this is traditional or not, but I love the graphics and the concept, really wanna play this one!

Lacuna – A Sci-Fi Noir Adventure, another one which seems absolutely brilliant.

Slender Threads, from Blyts, probably will be good.

A few that I didn’t previously mention:

Out of Coverage, looks very interesting and a bit different too.

Encodya, I’m not entirely convinced by the kid and a cute robot concept, but want to play it anyway.

The Rewinder, it’s a bit unclear how this game is going to be like, but want to try this one too.

Rauniot, it’s a bold move to give a name that 99,99% of the people can’t write, pronounce, or understand, not the best business move, but at least unique. The game itself looks nice too, with any name.

Futurust, I have mixed feelings about this one, a blatant Machinarium copy is not a very good idea, but then again Machinarium was great, so perhaps the copy will be too?

Whateverland, not the top game of my waiting list, but will be interesting to see how it turns out to be.

The Last Night, it looks great, too bad there’s not much information about the game itself yet.

SpaceVenture, it really seems to exist now, just not ready to be released.

Jack Houston and the Necronauts, I was really excited about this one, but the way it is going, I don’t think it’s ever going to be finished. Good concept though.

Harvest, the last time they even updated their Kickstarter was in 2016, so obviously not happening, but in case it ever does, might be interesting.

The Ballads of Reemus 2, the first game was good and the free Flash games were good, so this could be nice, but there’s no updates in the last three years. But if it ever gets done…

Plot of the Druid It reminds me of some really good classics. Play the demo, you might like it, too.

This sounds like it could the sequel of the real classic, the much beloved The Mystery of the Druids, maybe it’s a spiritual successor at least…?  Tongue

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

GateKeeper - 17 November 2020 07:07 AM

This sounds like it could the sequel of the real classic, the much beloved The Mystery of the Druids, maybe it’s a spiritual successor at least…?  Tongue

No, it’s more like Lucas Arts, or Simon the Sorcerer. Sorry.

Btw, There’s going to be a new Encodya trailer on Friday, and they’re also going to announce the release date on that occasion.

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I am almost shocked. I recently went through several sources in different languages and got about 200 new games to my lists, but somehow you people have some here listed that I had never heard about! I wonder what sources those came from, but nice to know about them now.

Everything I posted has a page on AdventureGamers except for Imposter Factory and Stray. It’s weird that there is no page on AdventureGamers for Imposter Factory because they covered and reviewed both To the Moon and Finding Paradise favorably. I think I saw an announcement on a more general gaming news website.

Stray is understandable why there’s no page since it’s not clear how much of an adventure game it will actually turn out to be, it might lean harder into stealth, but it was revealed in one of the Sony PS5 trailers from earlier in the year.

This website is my main source for news about upcoming adventure games, but the Adventure Game Studio forum and sorting the upcoming games on Steam with the point and click tag usually cover everything.

But then again, I had never heard of There is No Game until the 5 star review here and now it’s my GOTY, so it’s great when there are surprise releases too.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

This thread is making my head spin. Far too many games I’ve never even heard of either. Seems I’m going to be busy for a while. Confused (But really, always pleased to hear about games we don’t know about yet.)

TheLongestJourney - 17 November 2020 11:29 AM

It’s weird that there is no page on AdventureGamers for Imposter Factory because they covered and reviewed both To the Moon and Finding Paradise favorably. I think I saw an announcement on a more general gaming news website.

There is, actually, but it’s spelled ImpostOr Factory.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jackal - 17 November 2020 11:50 AM

It’s weird that there is no page on AdventureGamers for Imposter Factory because they covered and reviewed both To the Moon and Finding Paradise favorably. I think I saw an announcement on a more general gaming news website.

I recently bought Afterparty , which is not in the database either, although AG reviewed Oxenfree by the same developers. Strangely enough AG does offer an Afterparty walkthrough.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I tracked Afterparty for quite a while before ultimately deciding I was getting a far less “adventure” vibe from it than Oxenfree. (Which was itself pretty borderline.)

Ivo looks after walkthroughs, so I guess he decided it was close enough. And it’s possible we may yet end up reviewing it. It’s just not something I was prepared to devote full coverage to.

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

This thread is making my head spin. Far too many games I’ve never even heard of either. Seems I’m going to be busy for a while. Confused (But really, always pleased to hear about games we don’t know about yet.)

Pan Doh! Apparently Impostor can be spelled with an “e” as well, which is why you shouldn’t rely on spellcheck.

In any case, I’m really hopeful we’ll get a release date soon.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

TheLongestJourney - 17 November 2020 02:36 AM

Never heard of the Letters game, that looks fun, the other four are really high up on my most anticipated list.

I highly recommend the demo for this one - it is certainly unique!

Now to add a few:

Tex Murphy: The Poisoned Pawn - the latest Tex Murphy game was great, so I am hopeful this one will also deliver.

Lake - There’s something about the Pacific North West that just gets me super stoked.

Backbone - I’m a backer for this one and it’s set in Vancouver, which is cool.

Ah, yes. I’m waiting for these as well. You’re right - there’s something about “Lake” visuals that is just very appealing.
Also, I like noir games, so “Backbone” is high on the list. Their prologue was interesting. They keep postponing the release, but I hope they will come through next year!

Stray - cyberpunk game also from Annapurna where you play as a cat, looks beautiful.

Wow, never heard of this one! Definitely looks promising. I don’t know if I’m more surprised that “cats” is an official tag on Steam, or that there’s a game that has “cats” and “cyberpunk” tags in the description. Grin

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Anyway, I listed these in another thread and I copied them here in case you didn’t read that thread:

Framing Dawes is a randomly picked 2D adventure from many similar games.

Monorail Stories, I don’t know if this is traditional or not, but I love the graphics and the concept, really wanna play this one!

Have you tried demos for either of them? So, I generally liked “Framing Dawes”, and it certainly looks beautiful, but (and that’s surprising for me because I generally like well-developed dialogues) I found MC’s way of saying walls of philosophically-inclined text about almost every item you can click on a bit overwhelming. I’m curious what do you think if you give it a go. It’s available on Steam.

I got a chance to try “Monorail Stories” when the demo was temporary available during one of the festivals. It’s beautiful and seemed intriguing enough, but there was almost no gameplay - you just move the character through the story that you “watch”. I know many people like that, so it might be right up your alley. I keep an eye on it, but I just generally prefer a little bit more of “play” in my games.

Lacuna – A Sci-Fi Noir Adventure, another one which seems absolutely brilliant.

This one does look very promising! Sci-fi and noir? I hope it will turn out great!

Out of Coverage, looks very interesting and a bit different too.

Thanks for the new addition!

Encodya, I’m not entirely convinced by the kid and a cute robot concept, but want to play it anyway.

The Rewinder, it’s a bit unclear how this game is going to be like, but want to try this one too.

Rauniot, it’s a bold move to give a name that 99,99% of the people can’t write, pronounce, or understand, not the best business move, but at least unique. The game itself looks nice too, with any name.

Looking forward these ones as well!

Futurust, I have mixed feelings about this one, a blatant Machinarium copy is not a very good idea, but then again Machinarium was great, so perhaps the copy will be too?

There is a demo on Steam. It was just so SO easy. And short. I ended up with “meh” feelings about it, but I’m keeping one eye on it.

]The Last Night, it looks great, too bad there’s not much information about the game itself yet.

Undoubtedly, one of the most beautiful pixel graphic games I’ve ever come across. It’s not that there isn’t enough information about it yet - it’s just the game has been in development forever and a day. The main developer had some tweet that was related to gamergate, so it blew up, and he keeps losing/finding/losing the funding again (there’s a rabbit hole of everything about it on the Internet, but it seems they cleaned up their Steam forums. Awhile ago it had hundreds of messages about the development and speculations whether his tweet was so egregiously bad that it was worth stopping the game development for, and if it was - should we separate the art from the artist or not.) It’s almost like a running joke between people who wants this game released - whether it will actually come out.

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

It would be very interesting to know what are the Editor-in-Chief’s most anticipated games.  Wink

Total Posts: 141

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Either people here are way more excitable than I am or they’re listing everything they are even vaguely interested in Wink

Anyway. None. ^^

(e: Unless you count Nighthawks as an adventure game.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1221950/Nighthawks/
I personally wouldn’t; well, more of a CYOA sorta category I’d say anyway)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top