• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445KeybordzSpeedBozobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The age of VR is starting

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, sales are robust and the games are fun. I do enjoy my PSVR!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2019-05-08

PM

It’s just not that inviting or available yet. But I imagine it’ll get there in the next few years. The PSVR is actually an excellent step forward for the platform ^^

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Going wireless would help the popularity, But Sony shipping over 4 million headsets is pretty amazing.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Oculus Quest is quite a success actually. The sales were crazy this holiday season. It’s completely sold out everywhere at the moment.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have heard nothing but good about the Oculus Quest. It has made many best of lists.

Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Yes, it’s amazing. My favourite VR hmd so far. It’s just fun to use and I’m enjoying games I was never interested in on PC VR. Being wireless and incredibly easy to use are a huge pros.

The only thing that Oculus really needs to improve as soon as possible is comfort. I hope we’ll get that latest “small and light” prototype sooner than later

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-half-dome-2-3-prototype-form-factor-oculus-connect-6/

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

So, Quest 2 was announced and it will feature quite a boost in specs. Not only it will upgrade from the aging 835 mobile processor to the latest XR2, it will also have almost 4K screen (almost in line with the upcoming G2 Reverb) and 90hz.

Original Quest was by far the most interesting and impressive VR hmd that came out in a long time. Quest 2 seems to only improve over its predecessor.

The only big con is the new FB-login requirement to use the headset. I can see this scaring away quite a few potential users.

https://www.wired.com/review/oculus-quest-2-review/

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

After 2 weeks of using Quest 2, I can say it continuous what Quest 1 started and improves upon it.
For me, it’s hands down the best VR hmd and one that will eventually bring VR to the mainstream.

Comfort is much improved over Quest 1, but you’ll need Elite strap (another $50) to take advantage of Quest2’s less weight and smaller design. So, while Quest 2 costs only $300, I’d say Elite strap is an essential add on, if you want to spend more time in VR. This brings the total cost to $350, which is still mighty impressive for everything Quest 2 offers.

No, it’s still not glasses-like light and comfortable, but I’d say it’s now among the more comfortable VR hmds out there.

Resolution boost is great. It’s the first VR hmd where SDE (screen door effect) is almost invisible. It’s still there, but it’s so tiny that in most cases you won’t see it at all.
It uses LCD screen. That means less SDE, but on the flip side it lacks true black of Quest1’s OLED screen. Personally, I’m not really bothered by this, but some might be.

The hmd also sports 90hz (versus 72hz of Quest 1), but right now this refresh rate is only unlocked for Home space and web browsing. Full 90hz should be unlocked later this month.

Hands tracking (no controllers needed, Quest’s cameras tracks your hands and fingers) also received an upgrade and it has now much less latency and the tracking volume is bigger. VR hands now actually often feel like my real hands.

All Quest 1 pros are still here as well: wireless VR and easy of use are game changers. Games library also grew in the last year and is now seriously impressive. To top it off, you can use it to play PC VR games as well. Either wired (with USB 3 cable) or even more impressively, wireless via Virtual Desktop app.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I bought PSVR way back in 2016 and just love it. No matter which route you take in VR, you will have fun. All three major methods are good (PC based, console based, stand alone). Choose which is best for you and have a great time!

Heart

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2020-11-09

PM

I used and still have VR, but I don’t feel like wearing it again. First I tried the mall game, it was an interesting game where I had to shoot zombies. Then I bought VR and some games. You know what makes me prefer to play even old PC games than the newest ones on VR? Every time I wear VR for more than 10 minutes, I feel dizzy and have a headache. I consider this to be one of the main reasons VR won’t be successful

Total Posts: 58

Joined 2009-11-05

PM

Ychneyshe - 09 November 2020 02:21 AM

Every time I wear VR for more than 10 minutes, I feel dizzy and have a headache. I consider this to be one of the main reasons VR won’t be successful

Don’t project your experience to everyone else’s. People are different and most don’t have issues with using VR. I’ve put headsets on quite a few people now, both gamers and non-gamers. So far not a single one has had a complaint. As long as you know your limitations in terms of how susceptible you are to motion sickness most people are going to have a great time. You just need to play games suited to your tolerance and slowly work your way up to more intense experiences.

And up until now, despite people being generally blown away, the experience didn’t push them over the edge to get one of their own. Mainly due to the requirement of an accompanying hardware like a PS4 or PC that your HMD is tethered to. Getting a Quest 2 has changed that though. Now when people learn that all they need is a $300 wireless headset to get that same experience I just showed them, they’re sold. The price is right and it’s dead easy to use.

So yeah, I think HMDs like Quest 2 will push VR into mainstream despite some people like you being unable to enjoy it. Which is kinda sad tbh.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Ychneyshe - 09 November 2020 02:21 AM

I used and still have VR, but I don’t feel like wearing it again. First I tried the mall game, it was an interesting game where I had to shoot zombies. Then I bought VR and some games. You know what makes me prefer to play even old PC games than the newest ones on VR? Every time I wear VR for more than 10 minutes, I feel dizzy and have a headache. I consider this to be one of the main reasons VR won’t be successful

Which VR hmd did you have, btw?

Most of new hmds and games should not make you dizzy or even less cause you headache. Of course, if you’ll play games that are not done right or expect you to have strong “VR legs” (in other words, that you are already used to VR), you’ll get dizzy or nauseous.

As Tamiil mentioned, Quest 2 is quite a revelation. The convenience and wireless nature of this hmd makes much bigger impact on user experience than I thought it would. Before Quest I was mostly in VR enthusiasts camp- PC power over easy of use.
Well, let’s just say I’m a convert. Quest 2 makes VR playing so much more fun. A true console like experience.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Some people report feeling dizzy and having a headache initially. Some games cause this worse than others. Flight sims, driving games and FPS games are more likely to cause it than dating sims or adventure games.

Stand alone systems have disadvantages too - they are heavier than most tethered systems have a limited battery life, also limited storage.

I myself recommend PSVR, easy setup and great games that many of Which you can’t get anywhere else. So, I am a very happy camper and the price is right too. Also all PS4 games and even DVD movies can be played in cinema mode which I love.
Heart

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Adv_Lvr, did you try Quest2? If not I really urge you to try it somewhere, if possible. You’ll be surprised how far tech advanced in just a few years.

Agree, Quest 1 was very heavy and one of the most uncomfortable VR devices I’ve had a “pleasure” to wear on my face. Quest 2 on the other hand is very comfortable. It’s lighter (a few g heavier than Rift S, but lighter than PSVR) and one of the smallest headsets so far. So much so, that it’s almost in line with both of my favourite comfort-hmds: Rift S and PSVR.
Even better? You can already buy 3rd party halo strap that makes ergonomics pretty much the same as Rift S and PSVR.

PSVR is a great system, but I’d argue it’s a bit outdated now. Resolution is quite low, but that’s not a deal breaker. What is a deal breaker, in my opinion, is controllers tracking and tracking in general. It pretty much forces you in “forward-looking playing” and limits you where you can move and turn. Not to mention controllers tracking is just not as precise as with newer systems. Additionally there’s still a cable.

Why I’m recommending Quest 2 is the freedom it provides. It doesn’t sound like much, but it’s quite honestly a game changer. Wireless is a huge boost for immersion and being able to use hmd anywhere in your house within a click of a button is amazing. It feels like a VR version of Switch.

Again, PSVR is still a great hmd with some amazing exclusives. But at this point, I’d really recommend Quest 2 over it. Waiting for PSVR 2 Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top