• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game have you just finished?

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I agree Karlok, what an awesome game! I silently abandoned the CPT to avoid potential spoilers and also because I got so engrossed with the game that I finished it nearly 2 weeks ago, lol. I couldn’t find any faults really, the art style didn’t bother or hinder me in any way. The only problem I did have was getting confused with the timeline and losing track of people. But yes you are correct, everything you need to identify everyone is there, no guess work or prior knowledge needed. Definitely a 5 star game in my book. Smile

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Meh
You bastards! Now I want to start playing Oprah Ding Obra Dinn right away.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

zobraks - 09 March 2019 03:04 AM

Meh
You bastards! Now I want to start playing Oprah Ding Obra Dinn right away.

Do it! You can thank us later Wink

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity - 3.5/5

I only played the demo and the minigames of this one back in the 90s because I never managed to track down a copy. When I came across Do U., I insta-bought that and enjoyed it.
It has taken me until now to finally play this game, and it was quite the fun ride. Tongue
It’s Beavis and Butt-Head and all their usual antics, with a minimalist story but a whole lot of juvenile fun. It’s pretty much reminded me why I used to enjoy Beavis and Butt-Head back in the day.
The game was a hoot, and surprisingly hard (with a few not-so-obvious methods that require the good old “try everything on everything” approach). And thank God that its length far exceeded that of its sequel Do U.
The ending came pretty abrupt, though. I was still expecting a little more game. But the trip was a blast anyway.

Now to replay the (underrated) sequel.

Return of the Obra Dinn - 4/5

One of the most unique games of all time, Return of the Obra Dinn shows what the true meaning of “retro graphics” is in modern times. Despite the 1-bit graphics, the game looks as current as can be, breathes atmosphere and provides a compelling mystery to solve. This turns it in an experience that’s very hard to put down and is above all unforgettable.
That doesn’t mean it’s without its flaws. Getting to revisit memories from the book would have been a huge time-saver, several characters deserve a bit more background (and motivation for their actions), there are a few moments where you’re essentially going from new memory to new memory without a chance to catch your breath, and - although this is very nitpicky - the gameplay remains the same from beginning to end without extra layers getting added to increase the challenge or conversely, to make the learning curve more gradual.
Having said that, the game presents one big puzzle that is very satisfying to solve (even if you’re sometimes just making educated guesses), and wraps that in a highly remarkable and creatively fresh package. Quite the feat for what’s essentially a one-man game. Hats off to Lucas Pope!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yes you should, zobraks. I know you don’t do Steam, but it’s on GOG too.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Mission Critical

An oldie today: a Legend game from the mid-90s. A century in the future, mankind is in an endless war. You’re part of the crew of a military spaceship sent to explore a mysterious planet, but you get ambushed by the enemy. Faced with desperate odds, and judging the mission too important to fail, the ship’s captain decides to destroy the enemy by suiciding the entire crew—except you. As the game begins, you find yourself alone on the ship, tasked with fixing it, fending off possible attacks from other enemy ships, and going down to the planet to complete the mission. All in a day’s work!

The first two-thirds of the game are really, really good. The world feels well-developed—both the context of the events and the happenings on the ship. You only see a couple of your crewmates (in the intro and some video messages), but it feels like you get to know a few more just through the stuff they left behind. The puzzles are exquisitely designed. There’s nothing flashy (it’s all standard inventory-based point & click fare), but the game manages to make you feel clever for solving the puzzles while giving enough clues for everything to make sense and feel fair. (I guess I should mention that there’s a skippable RTS minigame at some point. I hate RTS so I skipped it as soon as I could and never looked back.)

Unfortunately, the game kind of falls apart in the last third, once you leave the ship and land on the planet. Things start feeling rushed, with new locations every few minutes with only a few throwaway puzzles in them—and then a 30-minute information dump in the shape of a long conversation tree. Near the end, the game introduces (MAJOR SPOILER) a time-loop element, which would seem rife with great puzzle opportunities but is unfortunately reduced to five lines of boxed text.

The late-game also introduces some interesting sci-fi ideas about technology, evolution and such, but that element also feels rushed, those ideas being just alluded to in that overlong conversation rather than given a chance to be experienced in-game. This feels like another missed opportunity.

Still, those first two-thirds are really impressive and make the game well worth playing, even if it falters a bit in the end.

3.5/5

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 09 March 2019 07:44 PM

Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity

[snip]

Now to replay the (underrated) sequel.

Scratch that. I can’t get Do U. to run.
Or rather I can with XP on a virtual machine, but I can’t get the sound to work, and the mouse cursor is uncontrollably glitchy, so it’s unplayable… Frown

@ Karlok: regarding which characters I thought deserved a bit more background (and motivation), I’ve replied in the CPT thread.
Did you edit your post? I was sure you asked for clarification here, but I can’t find it now.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

I’m not sure I would completely classify it as an adventure game but I did discover it and plan to play it because of the review here…

It’s a unique game with a unique control scheme that works really well in solving the puzzles. I played it with my partner each of us sharing a part of the controller and it was a lot of fun to play it like this. In a way the collaborative nature of the puzzles reminded me of Goblins (a game I last played as a kid, so my memories are a bit blurry) but with much less goofiness and much much simpler puzzles. I do think that they could have made better use of the interface to come with more interesting puzzles…

The game shines with the beautiful graphic design and matching music. Multiple times, we both paused to enjoy the landscape. There are even benches along the way just for that Smile. However, we felt let down by the story. A lot of people praise the story and the fact that it deals with difficult themes death but we felt that the ending was too cliché. It’s not cliché in the same way as Hollywood movies where you expect a good ending but, instead, it forces you along a sad ending that makes no sense whatsoever. It feels like the writer decided that the big brother had to die and then contrived to achieve that in the most lazy way possible. The spider at the end who kills the big brother hardly makes any sense whatsoever.. It ruined both of our enjoyments of the game and the last 20% lowered our opinion drastically.

2.5/5 (would have been 4/5 if the last 20% of the game were very different)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The Dig (replay) - 4.5/5

I just played this game for the umpteenth time (it’s my most replayed game after Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis), and frankly, it’s still brilliant, it still looks fantastic, and the soundtrack is still exceptional.
It’s just an allround great game, and I love how rewarding the cutscenes feel each time you see one…

Total Posts: 1619

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

TimovieMan - 15 March 2019 10:15 PM

The Dig (replay) - 4.5/5

I just played this game for the umpteenth time (it’s my most replayed game after Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis), and frankly, it’s still brilliant, it still looks fantastic, and the soundtrack is still exceptional.
It’s just an allround great game, and I love how rewarding the cutscenes feel each time you see one…

The Dig is a game I don’t revisit often but I have beaten it twice and I agree with you. it is a very amazing game and is one of the few games I would actually like to see a movie made out of it. considering the dig was supposed to be a movie first to begin with i think it would work as a film.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I needed something light* to play during breaks from Danganronpa. I feel that Danganronpa requires my full attention and in moments where distractions are possible, I prefer playing something that doesn’t punish me as much for looking up from the screen for a bit. Semi-standalone puzzles seem like a great fit for that… so I went back to The Fool’s Errand, a game which I never really finished back in the day - completing all 54 puzzles, but struggling with the map and eventually giving up.

The Fool’s Errand - 3.5/5 (replay)

Cliff Johnson, the designer of The Fool’s Errand, is a master puzzle maker, but he’s a devious one. There’s a good variety of different puzzles in this game, but quite a few of them are not that easy for non-native English speakers.
Once you’ve completed the main puzzles and get to solve the giant meta-puzzle map (with clues that span the entire game), as well as the different treasure puzzles after that map, the game has a steep spike in difficulty.
I needed a walkthrough to complete the map, and I needed one for most of the treasure puzzles after it. It definitely reminded me why I had never completed this game before… Tongue

The thing that struck me most was how many different puzzles he managed to sneak on what is essentially one single 5 1/4-inch QD floppy disk.

Still, despite the difficulty at times, it’s a very enjoyable puzzle game. And since Cliff Johnson released “Puzzle Gallery: At the Carnival” and “3 in Three” for free - including a Mac emulator to play them -, I’m tackling those next. Cool

(*) Yes, I have a weird definition of “light”. Grin

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I wouldn’t call them light, but they’re often delightful in a brain-bending kind of way.  3 in Three is my favorite of Cliff’s games, followed by both of the Fool’s games.  At the Carnival has many of the same elements as his other games, but is more just a collection of puzzles with the carnival theme.  Have fun with them, TimovieMan.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

I played obra dinn after reading the suggestion here and it was pretty good. Only problem is that a small part of it required either far-fetched assumptions or prior knowledge of exotic cultures, but it’s still a 9.

I also played the The Dig, it was great, even if it’s a bit dated culturally. I wouldn’t replay it though since I rarely find the time to do that instead of playing another game.

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2019-02-25

PM

Simon the Sorcerer 2”. A plesant point-and-click adventure with nice pixel-graphics and some good humor. Liked it much better than it’s precursor. Still some illogical puzzles that bothered me, otherwise a quite nice experience.

7/10

About the ending:
This was a real disappointment I thought. No real ending, but rather a “to be continued…”.

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I always thought they mocked Monkey Island 2 with the ending, or tried to outdone it with “the most irritating final ever” (to some, personally I liked both).

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top