• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dragon Age: Inquisition

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Amazing insight on the development and other bits,

http://www.twitch.tv/nyugamecenter

The power system and Wartable was indeed inspired from D&D(pen and paper) and to some level Sid Meier’s Pirates.

How the narrative of Wartable and lore contextualizes into actual plot plus how the game
emphasized on more Exploration based narrative rather than old BW approach.

80hrs in with all Dragons defeated and still opening new areas, new loot and new enemies.

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

I’ve beaten the game, rushed through the ending, so i could start again as a mage and do things much more slowly this time.
I completely ignored the hissing wastes, emerald grove and exalted plains, so there’s plenty for me to do

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Storm Coast, Emerald Grove and Exalted plains are my fav regions.
Don’t forget to mark and explore every corner, you get operations on Wartable to open new areas in these regions(like you get to Hissing wastes from Western Approach).

The Crow Fens(Exalted Plains) area comes after solving great AG puzzle like TombRaider.

Grove and Exalted has great Dragon fights too.

I have much of Hissing Wastes to go, just got over with Fallow Mire swamps.
I mean whole Avvar tribe and their plot i missed untill now.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hell Yeah!
Won Game of the Year award, rightfully deserved, and amazing Varric easteregg Wink
Sorry Mordor , get lost. Grin

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

It’s a bit… boring isn’t it? All you do is run around and kill stuff.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well, running around killing stuff is what you do in RPG’s, at least for the most part.

Where the game however shines is in the story parts, in these parts it is just as good, or perhaps even better than most AG’s.

In fact several of the story quests, like “Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts”, is both longer, contains far more puzzles, just as much dialogue, just as many decisions and less combat than a full episode in a game from Telltale.

nomadsoul - 05 December 2014 06:09 PM

The Crow Fens(Exalted Plains) area comes after solving great AG puzzle like TombRaider.

Yeah, I also really like that archer puzzle, and it actually took me quite some time to solve.

So… you missed the goat thrower?
One of the funniest moments in this game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Iznogood - 28 December 2014 11:23 AM

Well, running around killing stuff is what you do in RPG’s, at least for the most part.

Where the game however shines is in the story parts, in these parts it is just as good, or perhaps even better than most AG’s.

In fact several of the story quests, like “Wicked Eyes and Wicked Hearts”, is both longer, contains far more puzzles, just as much dialogue, just as many decisions and less combat than a full episode in a game from Telltale.

I’ve played that part and it’s a matter of running around looking for ‘hotspots’, with barely any puzzles at all. Which is still probably better than Telltale’s current output.

There’s a lot of story but it’s mostly boring 2nd rate fantasy dross, almost totally humorless with bland characters except for a handful. 100 hours of playtime is great and all, but is all of it worth doing?

Also the poster who said the war table is like D&D has certainly never played a D&D game.

I put it in the same category as Skyrim - exciting at first but shows its lack of substance later. A fun game but Risen 3 was the better RPG this year.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 28 December 2014 02:33 PM

I’ve played that part and it’s a matter of running around looking for ‘hotspots’, with barely any puzzles at all. Which is still probably better than Telltale’s current output.

Well it isn’t an adventure game, which is why I compared it to Telltale Tongue, but there is actually a few puzzles that could just as well have been in one and aren’t easy, like the Archer puzzle, or the Temple of Mythal.

There’s a lot of story but it’s mostly boring 2nd rate fantasy dross, almost totally humorless with bland characters except for a handful. 100 hours of playtime is great and all, but is all of it worth doing?

Taste differs, personally I really liked the story and also found that there is a lot of humour in it, like the whole “Wicked” story and Moriganna meeting her mother, but some of it also depends on your own responses and the character you are playing. I actually started out as a human male mage, and got so bored with him midway-ish, that I instead rolled a new char as a dalish female rouge, which I found worked much better, was much funnier, better animated in facial expressions and also better voiced. 

Also the poster who said the war table is like D&D has certainly never played a D&D game.

I put it in the same category as Skyrim - exciting at first but shows its lack of substance later. A fun game but Risen 3 was the better RPG this year.

It is not a perfect game, in fact if I were to make a list of all the flaws and things that could have been done better, it would be a very long list. I however still think it is a brilliant game, because it really shines in the areas where it is best.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Iznogood - 28 December 2014 11:23 AM

So… you missed the goat thrower?
One of the funniest moments in this game.

Hahahaha yes, i actually explored that fellowmires region after 70 hrs or so.
And that goat scene plus Ironbull scenes were quite humorous.

I think those court/judgement/trial minigames are also well done, some depth to it.
The whole ThomasRanier arc was plain awesome considering he was my main guy and suddenly disappeared, then his trial and whole kissing infront of everyone.
Later on wartable you can do more operational missions for all those trials,
and the conversations that follows on later in the game actually change.
So pretty deep and painstaking stuff there by Bioware.

That archer puzzle took me 30 minutes, took me awhile to figure out secret rotating pedestal behind the cage and the fact hat we have to use the menu commands. Pan

Again the beauty of of this game lies in the fact that all these things can be missed.

Whats your impressions about that Masquerade level, that was self contained AG, innit??

I loved hat mission and then Morrigan’s entrance woaaaaaah.

Edit:

oh yeah Gay and Transgender characters are also well done. They are there with personality.

After you are done , lemme know, want to discuss ending.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

A fun game but Risen 3 was the better RPG this year.

I posted about D&D, table top pen and paper or whatever BEFORE the Devs themselves said this about their inspiration.

Listen and learn,

http://www.twitch.tv/nyugamecenter

You actually don’t know, what you don’t know.

Risen3 lol.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Iznogood - 28 December 2014 03:28 PM

It is not a perfect game, in fact if I were to make a list of all the flaws and things that could have been done better, it would be a very long list. I however still think it is a brilliant game, because it really shines in the areas where it is best.

Which is the exploration. That is very well done. It’s just the rather boring combat and generic fantasy drags it down for me. I’m not the person that is entertained by the same ‘collect the shards’ or ‘find the treasure’ quests for 100s of hours. Other than that - yes, a fantastic game.

How I wish modern RPGs could be more like AGs. The Orlais ball was a great opportunity for a ‘whodunit?’ style of mystery, like Sherlock Holmes: C&P or LA Noire. Instead we get this silly ‘find the hotspot’ game - the equivalent of pixel hunting if it weren’t for the fact the hotspots are shown on the map.

The game should come with a ‘thinking not required’ sticker. You find a clue and it automatically adds a quest marker to your map, so you don’t even have to read what the note says. And the clues are sometimes well thought out, so I don’t know why they sabotage the game like this.

nomadsoul - 28 December 2014 03:58 PM

Risen3 lol.

Actually scratch that, Risen 3 AND Icewind Dale Enhanced were the better RPGs this year. And I haven’t even played IDE yet.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Zifnab - 28 December 2014 08:03 PM

Which is the exploration. That is very well done. It’s just the rather boring combat and generic fantasy drags it down for me. I’m not the person that is entertained by the same ‘collect the shards’ or ‘find the treasure’ quests for 100s of hours. Other than that - yes, a fantastic game.

How I wish modern RPGs could be more like AGs. The Orlais ball was a great opportunity for a ‘whodunit?’ style of mystery, like Sherlock Holmes: C&P or LA Noire. Instead we get this silly ‘find the hotspot’ game - the equivalent of pixel hunting if it weren’t for the fact the hotspots are shown on the map.

The game should come with a ‘thinking not required’ sticker. You find a clue and it automatically adds a quest marker to your map, so you don’t even have to read what the note says. And the clues are sometimes well thought out, so I don’t know why they sabotage the game like this.

nomadsoul - 28 December 2014 03:58 PM

Risen3 lol.

Actually scratch that, Risen 3 AND Icewind Dale Enhanced were the better RPGs this year. And I haven’t even played IDE yet.

You clearly are hellbent upon venting off your frustration needlessly, you can toggle off the markers, you don’t need to collect all the shards worst side mission which i never completed. Plenty of missions where there is no lead. Even finding some shards is really tough, too much navigation in huge environments sometimes climbing.

You cannot find Dragons with markers. Don’t bother anyway, you will fail even on easy.

Make videos of playing at normal, show your skills, it will become pretty clear why you are hating the combat.

More like AGs??? Most of the AAA scene don’t give rats ass about AGs lol.

Rest assured it has got more AG feel than Masseffect which most of the people here dig.
And if DAI doesn’t pander to your interests enough, all the better, thats a good sign.

P.S = The scanning system in DAI shits on Batman type wannabes too, even with markers its tricky to find objects with Scanning , you can also increase the radius of Scanning through Wartable perks.

Not giving markers or scanning would be completely game breaking in this HUUUUGE game.

But you have choice to avoid using them.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

... I however still think it is a brilliant game, because it really shines in the areas where it is best.

Which is the exploration. That is very well done…

As I said taste differs, the part where I think it really shines is in the story, which you apparently hate. The exploration is also very well done, but had it “just” been a open world game without the strong story parts, then I would probably have lost interest very early in the game.

I was actually stuck for quite a long time her, because I couldn’t find one of the halla stones you needed to open a door, and they don’t show up as markers on your map and you only get a ping when you are standing right next to them. There are also other elements you have to work out for yourself, though some of these are purely optional.

But sure, they could have made this part into a whole little adventure game embedded within a RPG, which they didn’t quite do. But that fact that they made it as much adventure game-y as they actually did, is in my opinion something that we should celebrate.

There are several cases were you do have to think quite a bit for yourself, and where the game doesn’t hold you hand. The Archer puzzle, The Temple of Mythal, the treasure maps, the Dwarven ruins in the Hissing Wastes, are all just as, or perhaps even more difficult than what you will find in most AG.

But yes, it is a RPG, so most quests consists of running to a place show on the map, and killing whatever is there.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

nomadsoul - 28 December 2014 03:48 PM

The whole ThomasRanier arc was plain awesome considering he was my main guy and suddenly disappeared, then his trial and whole kissing infront of everyone.

That actually didn’t come as a big surprise or shock to me. First of all I didn’t really like him that much, though I did flirt a bit with him, and I preferred to use Cassandra as my main tank, simply because I liked her attributes ... I mean abilities better.

But more importantly I did use him for the whole Grey Warden quest line, and normally when you have someone in the group, with a personal interest or knowledge about what is happening, then they have a lot to say about it. But Blackwall didn’t say a single word during this whole line of quests, also when asking him about Grey Wardens earlier in the game, he was very evasive and never actually told me anything. I even tried to ask him why he never mentioned “the calling” but the topic unfortunately didn’t pop-up.
So I actually suspected that he wasn’t a real Grey Warden

Now the whole thing with Solas and Dread Wolf at the ending, that came as a big surprise - But more about that later.

nomadsoul - 28 December 2014 03:48 PM

After you are done , lemme know, want to discuss ending.

I actually finished the story a couple of days ago, the Hissing Wastes yesterday and are now in Empress Du Lion.

Apart from that thing with Solas, then I actually found the ending a bit disappointing, more like it fizzled out instead of a Grand Finale.

I mean, if you look at the last three story quests, then you have the whole Temple of Mythal which was epic, and I expected something similar from the last two. But instead we get a five minute conversation with Flemeth/Mythal, with no fighting, no puzzles, no exploration, just talking. (I know you can fight a dragon here, if you make some different decisions) 
An important conversation storywise, and at least somewhat hilarious, especially Morganna’s comment “All things considered, I now wish it was you who had drunk from the Well of Sorrows” and my own response “I can see how being bound to obey your own mother, might be considered a bad thing.”, but I had expected more.

And then there is the last epic battle with old Corphy, which was anything but epic.
In all fairness I probably postponed this for a little bit to long, so I was lvl 21 before the fight, but still… I had expected more than just a quick double boss fight, something more like the Mage/Templar story quest in the beginning would have been a much better ending to the story.

Also I have a problem with how early in the game, the story part actually ends. Depending on how long you postpone it you can actually get to the ending midgame or early endgame, but imo a game should end when the story does. You can of course continue to play the open world areas and quests, and that is what I’m doing now, but it just isn’t the same any more, now that old Corphy has been defeated and there is no real thread. A consequence of how they mix open world and story I guess, but imo it also shows the weakness of mixing things like this.

And you can probably imagine my surprise, when I woke up the next morning and discovered that everything and everyone was gone!

The game did warn me that some things would not be available after the end of the story, but I didn’t expect that my throne room would be totally ripped back to the bare walls, that undercraft would be completely gone, no more crafting or upgrading armour and weapons, and everybody except Cassandra (which was a bid odd, as she had just been made Divine), Sera and Josephine had sneaked out like a thief in the night, even though they had all promised to stay, even Cullen who I had just spend the night with had abandoned me Cry

Fortunately it turned out to be a bug, and all I had to do to get everything end everybody back, was zap to another zone and back Grin

(continued in next post)

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And now we get to the interesting part about the ending, which I assume was the part you wanted to discuss. The post credit scene with Solas and Flemeth.
That came as a big surprise to me and a real plot twister, especially because Solas was actually one of my favourite characters and the mage that I used the most.

Now I did suspect that Flemeth/Mythal might somehow had been in cahoots with Corphy, “He had to have gotten the Orb from somewhere” as I said to Morigana, and I did find Solas’s behaviour after defeating Corphy extremely odd. But I never suspected that Solas like Flemeth, was actually an old Dalish god, and no less than the Dread Wolf himself! Or that it was Solas who had given the orb to Corphy.

In retrospect it however explains quite a lot. Why Solas knew that the Anchor could be used to close the rifts, his behaviour in the Temple of Mythal where he obviously knew more than what he told us, and the general knowledge that he had about many things, that no one else knew anything about.

There is however also many things about this that I don’t quite understand. Why did Solas give the Orb to Corphy in the first place, and then why help us defeat him afterwards? What is the relationships between Solas/Dread wolf and Flemeth/Mythal? They call each other old friend, but it was the Dread Wolf that tricked the old Dalish gods and abolished them to a place in the fade. Is he trying to free them, kill them or make sure that they don’t come back? Why did he kill/abolish Mythal and why didn’t she fight him? Is Solas/Dread wolf actually evil, good or somewhere in between?

It all doesn’t really make much sense, but I guess since he is a god, and a kind of trickster god, then it doesn’t really have to make sense to use mere mortals.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if this is also meant as a form of teaser for the next game in the series, and that we will learn much more about Solas/Dread Wolf in the next game.

Sorry for the wall of text, which had to be split into two posts, but I apparently had a lot to say about the game Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top