• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

flOw and Expansion Pack - PS3

5/10 - Can only recommend this game if it’s on sale for very cheap, although it has cross buy. Short campaign, no replay ability. Six axis controls can be frustrating. Music is great though, easy to pick up and play, and the organisms look cool as they grow.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2017-04-06

PM

Ori and the Blind Forest. What a gem of a game it was, and easy on the eyes too.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Egon - 28 February 2018 11:28 AM

Hollow Knight

Just finished Hollow Knight. It took me over 50 hours and I got to 99%.

If you like metroidvania games at least a little bit, do yourself a favour and play this one… it’s a gem.

As far as I’m concerned they did everything right. Gameplay and controls are so smooth that it’s a joy just to run around and explore the world.
And what a world that is. Beautiful mix of melancholy, odd characters and subtle humour.
New locations will often take your breath away.
Arriving in the City of Tears, once capital of Hallownest, now mostly abandoned place where it always rains, is just magical.

Music and sound are wonderful as well and both help establish one of the best atmospheres in games ever. Just hearing the humming of cartographer character (from whom you buy a map of each new area) is exciting.

The game has an interesting mix of atmosphere found in Amanita Design games and gameplay similar to classic metroidvanias.

While Hollow Knight can be quite difficult and, at times, downright torturing (especially optional parts that are not important for finishing the main story), you never feel that the game is cheating by making those parts difficult because of bad controls. It’s always you who need to get better, either at platforming or boss battles.

10/10

Amen to all of this.  Smile

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Rime

Beautiful art design, decent sometimes hard to figure puzzles and emotional OST
Reviews did bad job of describing and appreciating this gem

4.5/5

Oxenfree

Too verbose, sometimes events overstay their welcome
Lost interest occasionally to come back later, after much breaks finally finished
Very creative use of Radio and even though my choices felt superficial to bend the narrative mostly , i still liked the plot and where it goes in the end, clicked with me
Climax saved the game, not a game for one sitting

3.5/5

Knack

Very fun and tight till the bland level design and repetitive nature starts getting on your nerves, quit and deleted it on chapter 4-4

Verdict

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Horizon: Zero Dawn

This game should not exist in our day and age. It is a AAA, new IP, non-GAS, no microtransactons BS, single player only, action RPG about robotic machines and dinosaurs, and yet somehow, the powers that be green lit it and I am so thankful for that. It is truly a great game, one of the best on the PS4.

Pros
* Fighting the machines: Let’s get it out of the way. The stars of the show are the machines. They are smart, aggressive, and a joy to fight. There is tons of strategy involved in tackling them, especially the larger specimen. If you go guns ablazing (arrows in this case), you will get your ass handed to you. You will need to do lots of evasion, and learn the machines’ elemental weaknesses and use it against them. Chipping away at their weapons and weak spots will definitely help. The most useful weapon is the bow and arrow, but the elemental weapons assist especially with the larger machines. The rope caster is a must to hold down the titanic Stormbird and Thunderjaw. It is also very satisfying putting a lot of tripcaster wires and traps and seeing the enemies fall for them. Or you can detach weapons from machines and use them against them. You can even override them, and let them do the fighting for you, while you watch from afar. There are so many different ways of tackling a fight which makes it very exciting throughout the game.
* Aloy: Great lead, very lovable.
* Story: the story starts slow, but it picks up, especially after we start digging deeper into the mystery of the old ones. Even the story of the current day tribes is intriguing and interesting. 
* Lots of stuff to do: Unlike some other open world games that feel barren, this one is packed with things to do. I am very thankful that the map size is not too big, because bigger maps tend to get repetitive and boring.
* Gameplay:  The gameplay loop of hunt machines, harvest, upgrade, craft is very good, and it helps a lot that the weapons are varried and fun to use.
* Graphics: Breathtaking, with tons of weather effects, and some gorgeous shader stuff. There is a little bit of pop ins (on original PS4), but it is not game breaking or anything.
* Beautiful music throughout. Very touching in the appropriate places. I hear it won several awards for its music, and it’s very well deserved.

Cons
* Lots of gameplay elements feel a lot like the Far Cry games.
-Picking up herbs to craft: Check
-Tons of crafting options: Check
- Three skill trees: Check

They even have a strike from above or below skill like Far Cry.
- Bandit Camps with an alarm: Check
- Each zone of the map contains a certain animal: Check, though in this case it is a machine.
- You can climb towers to reveal more of the map: Check, (they are called tallnecks).

This is not a bad thing perse, since the Far Cry games (especially Far Cry 3) are very solid.

* Wish the actors were more excited and performed better. It is a problem also in the Elder Scroll games and Mass Effect to some degree, where some of the characters just sound monotone and boring. Even Aloy in some scenes sounds like that. Compare that to the Uncharted or the Batman games, in which the characters are brimming with life.
* Weak enemy human AI: It’s been said, but the human enemies are very dumb in this game. Thankfully, the machines are much more interesting.
* Aloy’s voiceover actress: Okay this one is just for fun, but I could not stop imagining Chloe everytime Aloy spoke. I love Chloe, but I was expecting Max to bust out at some point and freeze time.

Overall, I had an amazing time with this game. Guerilla has something special here, and hope they can keep improving on it in the inevitable sequel.

9.5/10

SPOILER
I am wondering, does anyone find it weird that Silens saves Hades at the end, although he helped Aloy take it down earlier, and he is aware of its danger in wiping out all life?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude - 28 March 2018 07:13 PM

I am wondering, does anyone find it weird that Silens saves Hades at the end, although he helped Aloy take it down earlier, and he is aware of its danger in wiping out all life?

I could name few games where your ally or good NPC turns out to be duplicitous with higher agenda

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 28 March 2018 11:23 PM
SoccerDude - 28 March 2018 07:13 PM

I could name few games where your ally or good NPC turns out to be duplicitous with higher agenda

No I mean he was not a good NPC, but Hades wanted to kill him plus all life on earth. So he was helping Alloy to stop him. So after Hades is stopped, he goes back and resurrects him? Just doesn’t make sense.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude - 28 March 2018 11:36 PM

No I mean he was not a good NPC, but Hades wanted to kill him plus all life on earth. So he was helping Alloy to stop him. So after Hades is stopped, he goes back and resurrects him? Just doesn’t make sense.

I think he toppled power structure and wants to barter with him, Lance riddick definitely have more up his sleeve we dont know yet and Devs plan for future missions/games

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

DevilMayCry Remaster (HD collection PS4)

Mikami said that it took 3 months to convince his team to get the name changed as it was supposed to be a residentevil title, and it was Mikami’s best decision to kickstart new IP concentrating on action and demons
He also said that game is structured like a puzzle to wade through, even in combat its not just hack and slash but you need to figure out ways for optimum solutions

He was right, as i played through normal mode, new enemies and zones had different patterns on different difficulties and enemies had weakness to certain weapons

Unlike future DMCs, Bayonetta etc, DMC1 also have more gothic feel and design, more back tracking and puzzles to change pace, better art design
Its not an action fest from start to end, and what combos are there are minimal but fun to pull off
DMC3,kamiya, itsuno lost the plot on that one by iterating design concentrating on combo fest, loosing personality in progress

In DMC1 Animations,Camera, OST were ahead of time, mind still blown and class of dante’s animations when he walks while shooting guns..it needs art director to manage that and we dont have them today much in games nowadays
Talking about guns, they are huge part of combat not just combo extenders

Remaster is decent overall, there are some poor parts, like not all textures are polished for HD, ambient sound can be problematic in looping, FMVs are old res and cropped etc

Still better part of texture upgrade, fast loading, and smooth ass framerate makes up for it

DMC1 is still a fucking masterpiece

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 29 March 2018 12:47 AM

I think he toppled power structure and wants to barter with him, Lance riddick definitely have more up his sleeve we dont know yet and Devs plan for future missions/games

Didn’t realize he was voiced by Lance Reddick. He did such a good job he was the best VO in the game by a mile, and his bickerings with Alloy were the dialogue highlights in the game.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude - 29 March 2018 02:15 PM
nomadsoul - 29 March 2018 12:47 AM

Didn’t realize he was voiced by Lance Reddick. He did such a good job he was the best VO in the game by a mile, and his bickerings with Alloy were the dialogue highlights in the game.

He was in Destiny2 and Quantum break too, he has all sci fi gaming covered Grin
Edit: But i am surprised you missed his looks, he is mocapped for HZD, face looks like total LR
Edit2: Agreed on best, main villain and nill also did good

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 29 March 2018 02:21 PM

He was in Destiny2 and Quantum break too, he has all sci fi gaming covered Grin
Edit: But i am surprised you missed his looks, he is mocapped for HZD, face looks like total LR

Cool hadn’t played those games due to the luke warm reviews. Now that you mention it, he does look a lot like him.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude - 29 March 2018 03:20 PM

Now that you mention it, he does look a lot like him

Its one of the best mocap engine in biz , considering how kojima making mads look in DStranding

Here is original Aloy, dutch actress

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2008-09-02

PM

Thanks for sharing your Devil May Cry impressions, Nomadsoul! Smile

For some strange reason, I never played any Devil May Cry game until Capcom/Ninja Theory rebooted the series. Since I played that one like crazy on PC and PS4, I also bought Devil May Cry 3 + 4 on Steam.

I realized that Devil May Cry 3 had no native controller support on Steam (wtf?!), and I had no interest in any extra-work, so I skipped it. However, at least I caught up with Devil May Cry 4, and - while I think that the gameplay flow of the re-boot was even better - I also had an excellent time with Devil May Cry 4, and finished it twice. 

I’m glad that the original trilogy is now available on Playstation 4, and I’ll definitely catch up soon. Very much looking forward to it! Smile

Now playing: GreedFall, Control
Recently finished: Telling Lies, The Sinking City

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy (HD)- PS3

What a frustrating game this is. My aggravation were due to the poor controls and check point system. On occasion, my second jump was just not registering even though I was pressing the button which led to cheap deaths. Some might think that it might be the controller at fault. Well, I broke a ps3 controller over a stupid mini game and it still kept happening. I have never played the original or the PS4 version, so I don’t know if those version have that issue. Even though I hated the game, I still managed to get all collectables and receive my first platinum trophy Smile . I guess I am a sucker for punishment. Thankfully the game is short so I didn’t have to put up with it for too long. I still felt it was really short even after getting everything.
The two good things I can say about the game is that it looks good and ran great. What little fun I had in game were the driving sections. The story was just enough to propel me to the end. I wanted to finish the first as I still have the other Jak and Daxter games to finish, although, it might be a while before I start one of those.

Score: 3/10

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top