• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Last finished game

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2015-10-11

PM

I wouldn’t say I’ve finished it. I haven’t even unlocked everything. Once I unlocked the two cars I really wanted (Vyse and Ulala) I sort of drifted away from it.

The game I most recently actually finished was Alien Isolation. Not perfect, but I really liked it. Easy to recommend to people who like scary games and fans of the franchise.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Danganronpa Another Episode - Ultra Despair Girls

It’s a spinoff the main Danganronpa series and has an action game it fails. The shooting controls and not very good, little variety in enemies and too much repetition. There are some environment puzzles and there’s some of different ammo types to try but still feels flat. Thankfully it’s easy enough that you can go through it fast and get to the good stuff that is the story.
In Danganronpa tradition it’s very dark and twisted. It’s even more violent than the other games with little kids being psychos in the story. The 2 main characters (sister of the main character of the 1st game and Toko Fukawa) are very good and the backstory of each of the 5 main villain kids is intense and hard to listen because of it’s tragic nature. Also has lots of backstory for the big events of the series so it’s a must play for anyone interested in it, the game takes place between the 2 games and answers a lot of questions like the origin of Monokumas and starts to set up Danganronpa 3.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 15 October 2015 04:39 PM

Danganronpa Another Episode - Ultra Despair Girls

It’s a spinoff the main Danganronpa series and has an action game it fails. The shooting controls and not very good, little variety in enemies and too much repetition. There are some environment puzzles and there’s some of different ammo types to try but still feels flat. Thankfully it’s easy enough that you can go through it fast and get to the good stuff that is the story.
In Danganronpa tradition it’s very dark and twisted. It’s even more violent than the other games with little kids being psychos in the story. The 2 main characters (sister of the main character of the 1st game and Toko Fukawa) are very good and the backstory of each of the 5 main villain kids is intense and hard to listen because of it’s tragic nature. Also has lots of backstory for the big events of the series so it’s a must play for anyone interested in it, the game takes place between the 2 games and answers a lot of questions like the origin of Monokumas and starts to set up Danganronpa 3.

Damn looks like they are in Manga mode in expanding story and world.
They even created separate team for this franchise so things gonna expand.

Joined 2015-10-11

PM

Blackwell Convergence.

Love the series so far. Not much actual gameplay, but it’s solid all around the soundtrack is for the ages.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Soma

Bit disappointed with this. It started strong, but failed to really go anyway. I found the ending really flat and lacking in any payoff.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2015-10-11

PM

Telltale’s Walking Dead Season 2

More of the same from Season 1, a bit less soul, but more interesting themes. Some flaws, but still absorbing. I liked it.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Played Roommania #203 (DreamCast) last weekend: one of the many quirky games on the DreamCast. Here you assume the role of a sort of protecting spirit of a single student, and you need to bring some drama in his life. You’re ‘just’ a spirit though and you can not move outside the student’s room, so your options are limited: when Negi (the student) is not at home, you can pull some pranks by moving stuff, or read his diary to see what’s going on in his life. When he is at home, you have limited time (3 minutes) to watch him, and make ‘suggestions’ to him. You make subconcious suggestions to him by throwing ‘thought balls’ at objects in his room: the action will queue up in a list of all the other things Negi will do.

It’s basically an adventure game: you’re given tasks (“Navi”), which are worded like short riddles (“When Nature Calls”). You usually solve them by having Negi do certain stuff (make him drink a lot of water/milk to make him go to the toilet). About a quarter in the game, the story splits up in four distinct and varied scenarios, and these stories are fantastic. One is a surprsingly realistic story where you try to keep Negi and his new girlfriend together, while in another story, a magic mirror is the cause of a lot of trouble when Negi’s mirror-image escapes into ‘our’ Negi’s world and forms a famous rock band. Fantasy, romance, science-fiction, thrillers, drama: Roommania #203’s got everything.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tantei KID - 22 December 2015 12:39 PM

Played Roommania #203 (DreamCast) last weekend: one of the many quirky games on the DreamCast. Here you assume the role of a sort of protecting spirit of a single student, and you need to bring some drama in his life. You’re ‘just’ a spirit though and you can not move outside the student’s room, so your options are limited: when Negi (the student) is not at home, you can pull some pranks by moving stuff, or read his diary to see what’s going on in his life. When he is at home, you have limited time (3 minutes) to watch him, and make ‘suggestions’ to him. You make subconcious suggestions to him by throwing ‘thought balls’ at objects in his room: the action will queue up in a list of all the other things Negi will do.

It’s basically an adventure game: you’re given tasks (“Navi”), which are worded like short riddles (“When Nature Calls”). You usually solve them by having Negi do certain stuff (make him drink a lot of water/milk to make him go to the toilet). About a quarter in the game, the story splits up in four distinct and varied scenarios, and these stories are fantastic. One is a surprsingly realistic story where you try to keep Negi and his new girlfriend together, while in another story, a magic mirror is the cause of a lot of trouble when Negi’s mirror-image escapes into ‘our’ Negi’s world and forms a famous rock band. Fantasy, romance, science-fiction, thrillers, drama: Roommania #203’s got everything.

It was indeed one of many novel classics that never got released here.
You should make YouTube reviews of Japanese games that never get localization.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Telltale’s Game of Thrones:

I went in with low expectations and I was pleasantly surprised. I think people gave it a lot of unwarranted flack, and I had a really good time playing it. Yes it ended with a cliff hanger, but they already mentioned that they are working on a sequel so it’s not that bad. I will be probably buying the sequel to find out what happens with all the loose ends.

4/5

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

The Walking Dead: Season 2

Finished the 5 episodes over a couple of days. Played on the Xbox 360 which had slight performance issues. Can’t really say much about this game, but I did like it. Not quite as memorable as the first season. 7/10

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

The last game I finished in the old year was Sakura Wars 3 ~Is Paris Burning?~ (DreamCast, 2001). The third entry in the influential series that first combined element of the dating sim with a SRPG (with RPGs with a focus on personal links being fairly common nowadays, like the Persona series). Sakura Wars 3 was the first SW to be developed for the DreamCast and it’s overall a great game. The story is set in a steampunk 1910s Paris, where you assume the role of Ogami, the troop leader of the newly formed Paris Assault Troop, a last line of defense against supernatural threats who use special mecha powered by spiritual energy (with Ogami also being the protagonist of the previous two games, where he was the leader of the Imperial Capital’s Assault Troop, until he was assigned to Paris at the end of SW2).

The game follows a TV anime set-up (complete with an amazing opening sequence, episodic structure and previews for next episodes), with each episode split in two distinct parts. The bulk of the story is told in the Adventure part, where you interact with the other characters and can raise affinity with your troope members by making choices. Affinity is used to eventually determine who will become the main heroine of the game, but affinity has another use in the SRPG part of each episode. Each episode ends with a battle against the enemies, with a game system similar to SEGA’s own Valkyria Chronicles, with an action gauge dictating what you can do each turn (to be precise: SEGA used elements from SW3 in VC). But what is interesting is that the affinity gained in each episode, also has effect in the battlefield: if you got on the good side of your troop members, they’ll get stat bonuses, while the girls in a bad mood will be severely weakened.

The only really new element in SW3 is the battle system (the previous two games had a traditional grid-based SRPG that allowed two actions per term, instead of giving you the action gauge), so SW3 is mostly a ‘bigger and better’ version of SW, but that’s not a bad thing. It makes good use of the new hardware, the story and characters are captivating and despite a completely new main cast, the story actually builds in meaningful ways on the previous two games.

Only Sakura Wars V was released outside Japan by the way (PS2/Wii for NTSC, Wii only for PAL), but that one is often seen as one of the lesser, if not the least impressive entries in the series. I still haven’t played that one, but I really enjoyed the first 3 games. They’re not difficult at all (SW3 in particular was ridiculously easy) and focus a lot on character interaction though, so you shouldn’t play this if you’re looking for a challenge.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Agapito’s Crazy Adventure
Smile

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Finished Trauma Team (Wii) last night, the last in the Trauma Center series that started on the DS. Instead of focusing on a surgeon (like previous games), Trauma Team has a story featuring six medical specalists (in surgery, first response, orthopedics, endoscopy, diagnosis and forensics). The first four fields are fairly familiar for those who have played any of the previous TC games, so these are still action-oriented segments that require precision and skill with the pointer as you operate on patients with various ailments.

Diagnosis and Forensis are new to the series however and acually feature ‘normal’ adventure gameplay. Diagnosis has you talking with and examining the patient to determine symptoms and finally, make a diagnosis. Very much like a mystery game where you are gathering clues to identify a murderer (ailment). Forensics is a bit more conventional as a mystery adventure game, as you perform autopsy and gather clues from the crime scene to find out what happened to the body on the table.

I enjoyed the game quite a lot. I have only played the original Trauma Center before this and I recall that one being quite a bit more difficult in terms of action, but Trauma Team luckily never becomes really frustrating (‘save for that last two Endoscopy operations…).

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

Stick it to The Man! A really fun adventure sidescroller!

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

Finished Sakura Wars 4: Maidens, Fall In Love (DreamCast), the originally planned end to SEGA’s incredibly popular SRPG/‘dating sim’ hybrid series. The series is about the adventures of Lt. Ogami as the captain of the Imperial Assault Troop, who fight in steam-and-sprit energy-powered mecaha against supernatural threats. Gameplay is split in two modes: Adventure parts where you interact with the various (female) members of the Troop to raise trust & affinity with them, and the SRPG parts, where the trust gained in the Adventure part turns into stat boosts for the respective Troop member. In each game, you evenutally choose one girl to be ‘your’ main heroine.

SW4 is on one hand a horribly rushed game. It was developed in 10 months or so, because the DreamCast had been cancelled the year before and the team wanted to give a proper closure to the series (Previous SW had a development cycle of two years). SW4 is incredibly short compared to the previous games (one disc, compared to the two, three discs of previous games), many of the series characteristics are absent (no combination attacks, no mecha upgrades halfway through the story, no mini-games, no episode previews, very few animated sequences, hardly time to build character relations) and many assets are reused from Sakura Wars 3 (released one year earlier).

Yet I can’t say I really disike the game. This game doesn’t follow the usual 10+ episode anime series structure, but instead opts for a ‘final movie’-esque structure, providing a very worthy end to the story of Ogami, the Imperial Assault Troop and the Paris Assault Troop in their battle against evil powers. That does mean the story only has three (!) battle segments, but storywise, I think SW4 is a pretty satisfying end to the Ogami storyline. And while the game has very few animated sequences compared to earlier games, the in-game engine powered scenes are pretty well directed and are a huge improvement over those of SW3 (which weren’t bad either; it’s just that they made a lot of improvement in that one year!). Overall, Sakura Wars 4 is a game that is lacking in a lot of fields, but for fans of the series, SW4 should provide a fairly satisfying end to an entertaining series, given the circumstances.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top