• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceandiegoLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two new Double Fine projects being funded by Indie Fund

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 21 September 2014 09:46 AM
Lucien21 - 21 September 2014 06:45 AM

Adventure gamers have deflated self image of entitlement.

QFE.

Fixed, no wonder this attitude has brought AGs on the top of other genres from 90s. Wink

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Don’t go changing my posts, it’s not especially clever.

If you can’t back up your argument then don’t bother posting.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

People bought the game in faith that it will be finished. It isn’t. That’s not gamers feeling entitled. It’s getting shafted by a company who didn’t deliver.

I’ve heard this argument of “gamers think they’re entitled” but I don’t think that’s fair on the majority of gamers who aren’t like that. Those who complain and moan about things are usually those that are the loudest regardless of the subject.

I’m not a fan of beta’s myself as I prefer to play a game once it’s complete.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

They are releasing Version 1.0 which they see as a finished product so where is the shafting.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Keyword there. They think it’s finished. From what I’ve read up on, it seems there’s quite a few features they said they’d put in which they aren’t.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

As it is their game, isn’t it up to them to decide when it is finished. Reviewers etc will judge the final product for themselves when it’s released.

They had a list of features that said they were dependant on sales etc and couldn’t guarante when they would be implemented.

Bottom line is that few people bought the game so you can’t expect them to keep funding a game that nobody is buying.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Tim has explained the reason for halting the development sooner than they had hoped in this thread (read the comments for more comments from Tim):
http://steamcommunity.com/app/246090/discussions/0/613936673464943075/#p1

In short:
- Sales were good in the beginning, but have now dwindled, so they have to stop development sooner than they had hoped.
- It’s not going from alpha straight to version 1 - they’ve been fixing bugs along the way based on user feedback and will continue to fix bugs until release (and add more features).

Based on user comments, the game is quite short even now, and that seems to be the core problem - they should probably have waited longer before releasing it on Early Access.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Looks to me like they’re releasing more of what they promised than Peter Molyneux tends to do. It may not be the full game as originally intended, but at least it’s a basic completed version, and by releasing the source code, they encourage the hardcore fans to add in more content…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Valve even states on it’s Early Access FAQ

When will these games release?

Its up to the developer to determine when they are ready to ‘release’. Some developers have a concrete deadline in mind, while others will get a better sense as the development of the game progresses. You should be aware that some teams will be unable to ‘finish’ their game. So you should only buy an Early Access game if you are excited about playing it in its current state.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It really does suck that this is a business where DoubleFine can’t make its money back and particularly in this context when it is actually hurting the quality of the final game. Tim will bounce back but I wish the public would catch up to him.

Total Posts: 7432

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

thejobloshow - 21 September 2014 09:20 PM

Tim will bounce back but I wish the public would catch up to him.

I’m a tiny part of the public and I don’t want to bounce along with him. When I read the many many posts defending Schafer the moment someone dares criticize him, I sometimes get the unpleasant feeling the Schafer fans want everybody to be grateful that this great genius is making games for us. In the days before Kickstarter I loved his games and hardly knew what Tim Schafer looked like. Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about Schafer, his daughter, his car, his beard, his diet, his ego, his DF, his financial mismanagement. It gets in the way. One more reason for me to never support another KS project. It was fun, but I want more distance.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 21 September 2014 10:47 AM

Don’t go changing my posts, it’s not especially clever.

If you can’t back up your argument then don’t bother posting.

Lucien21 - 21 September 2014 11:19 AM

They are releasing Version 1.0 which they see as a finished product so where is the shafting.

Because this you didn’t answer (and cannot answer), this doesn’t need back up, this make them and their supporters look like , well it doesn’t even need explaining, does it??

Your own beliefs and partial fan following don’t factor into it.

Karlok - 22 September 2014 05:49 AM
thejobloshow - 21 September 2014 09:20 PM

Tim will bounce back but I wish the public would catch up to him.

I’m a tiny part of the public and I don’t want to bounce along with him. When I read the many many posts defending Schafer the moment someone dares criticize him, I sometimes get the unpleasant feeling the Schafer fans want everybody to be grateful that this great genius is making games for us. In the days before Kickstarter I loved his games and hardly knew what Tim Schafer looked like. Now I know more than I ever wanted to know about Schafer, his daughter, his car, his beard, his diet, his ego, his DF.

QFE

And we know less about his Projects actual state (BA part 2?? lol). Not the Docs or Forums post lies(frauds).

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

What is going on with Broken Age anyway? Are they making part 2? Meh

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 22 September 2014 08:13 AM

What is going on with Broken Age anyway? Are they making part 2? Meh

Last kickstarter update was July 9th… and it still had a lot development to go. No doubt it will be released, no idea when. I don’t check the Double Fine forums, there could be more information there.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

The Heat is Real,

The guy nailed it!

So what is very clear to me, is if you can’t guarantee this from the outset then Alpha-Funding / Early Access is not for you. It’s too risky and were it just your own reputation on the line, that’d be fine. But failures tarnish the reputation of the entire model, so a failure (particularly a high-profile failure) is potentially damaging to the very developers who need this model the most.

Because that year and a half production could easily have been five years if only the studio were based somewhere which didn’t have an average $10,000 (!!!) per person per month cost. You are basically requiring your game to be one of the most successful Early Access games ever in order to have enough money to finish it. This is, frankly, an insane and (dare I say it?) arrogant assumption.

Full piece

http://theindiestone.com/binky/2014/09/21/alpha-funding-early-access-is-not-an-alternative/

Double Fine will not deliver on everything they set out to do when they so adamantly claimed they were in this for the long haul, and that really sucks. Even if it’s not a slap in the face, it feels like one.

http://kotaku.com/double-fine-struggles-show-the-problems-with-steam-earl-1637669234/all

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top