• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Xbox One

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

In anycase the real proper Nextgen games and action will not start untill 2015.
Its still far away.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 13 June 2013 11:00 PM

In anycase the real proper Nextgen games and action will not start untill 2015.
Its still far away.

You know what seems more realistic? The real nextgen games won’t come until the next-gen is at the end of its cycle. lol I’m looking at you ‘Last of Us’.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

thejobloshow - 13 June 2013 08:00 AM

I kind of feel bad for Don Mattrick - if the XboxOne is a sales flop, it will be his head on the chopping block and he hardly deserves it. He did a commendable job on E3 showcasing lots of interesting games - better exclusives than what the PS4 was offering in my opinion and I’m a little heart broken that I will probably never play that new Killer Instinct or Crimson Dragon or Quantum Break.

I wonder if the system would have more defenders had they just abolished discs to begin with and promised cheaper games through their digital service.

That’s their problem with all this.  They wanted to go all-digital, but they knew the console market wasn’t ready for it.  So instead they decided on a hybrid system that has confused and frustrated consumers.  They should have just made every game available digitally (with a bit of a discount) AND on disc (but with no restrictions), and then let the market decide when to make the transition.

That’s what’s happening with music and movies, and it should be how games are handled as well.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

A friend of mine is convinced that both the PS and Xbox are going to still change some of this stuff even before launch (PS has certainly been very vague about some points, though he especially thought that the huge sales of PS4 would change their minds about the mandatory PSN+). While I’m not quite convinced, I wouldn’t be surprised if, say, a year after the release Microsoft might do some notable changes… Or maybe not. But it seems in some comments that they (both of them) are still open on things - some of which have even been said as rather confirmed - and I think if things don’t go as planned, they (mainly MS) could really try to patch things up by changes.

At least if they get a bit of a team change… There have been some serious screw-ups around Microsoft, in both development and PR. I think something like a year might be enough time to not look like you’re admitting you were way wrong Tongue

Then again I feel like maybe Microsoft isn’t exactly the kind of company that’s great on adaptability and admitting its mistakes in a short timeframe Wink But one can hope, there’s a huge amount of promise amongst those poor choices.

I don’t pretend to understand the weird logics that exist in these huge companies though Grin So all my speculation is probably all wrong, and I’m just living in a wishworld…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Saw this, and thought it was pretty funny:

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its look like even i want to buy Xone i cannot, the new region issue has opened whole
lot of new restriction , limited to certain countries.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-cant-tell-us-if-the-xbox-one-is-region-free-513494440

And if you are banned your license (of all games purchased) will get revoked and your system will be as good as paperweight.

I hope things work out. Frown

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

To me those two are maybe even the worst restrictions. I don’t see any sense in the region restricting (except making things more difficult and expensive for the player). And the banning has big risks too (like banning wrongly), unless they’re really careful with it and only do it in the most obvious, extreme cases. Or if they introduced like a semi-ban (suspension or something) that was the method used in all but the most serious cases. But if just anyone can be banned, it can lead to very difficult situations - and the losing of the games can be way too extreme in many situations.

What’s also silly is that there are only, if I remember correctly, 21 countries that are connected from release. So, the other countries can’t play games yet, then. I can’t understand why they’d think this was a good business idea.

But yeah, I agree, I hope things work out (and they make the ‘right’ choices in these cases)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its understandable from Marketing point of vew, since US makes most money and they are
covering regions which are cashcows, rest are secondary. TV and Cable box is now core product , gaming is augmented feature.

What worries me is that if i am in US and buy a console, go to some other country as Expat or some business work, can i bring my Xbone to country not supported, will i be able to play it??? How this whole shit going to work , involving region, country, ISP, Live Account etc. is just more hassle than anything, i quit PC due to frustrations of
updates and otherstuff looks like Xbone is outdoing it.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Heh, now we have yet another twist of the plot - though highly speculative. This article:
http://stickskills.com/2013/06/15/microsoft-looking-into-playing-games-offline-on-xbox-one/
Shows this little exchange in Reddit:

Someone on Reddit suggested this as a question:
  Just an idea here. Why not allow there to be a Xbox Live option to allow “offline” mode, but it disables any family sharing? Like
  “If Xbox One hasn’t connected in 24 hrs: [] Disable game & Allow Sharing [] Enable Game & Disallow Sharing”

Major Nelson responded to said question with:
  I’d have to check w/ the engineers, but I don’t see why that would not be possible.

So Microsoft could allow you to play games without using the cloud, whether they choose to do that is another question. It’s an interesting decision that could help Microsoft ease people into a digital world should they choose to take it or not.

And, so, maybe things aren’t so set in stone after all? This sounds like just the way to go in my opinion Grin Won’t get my hopes up, though…

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

If this turns out to be true, then that’s a win for consumers. Also, frankly hilarious.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Dale - 19 June 2013 03:57 PM

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/microsoft-to-pull-complete-reversal-on-xbox-one-dr/1100-4673/

If this turns out to be true, then that’s a win for consumers. Also, frankly hilarious.

Wow, that would be… pretty darn big Gasp And for me that would definitely win me over to the Xbox. I’m pretty sure that if they still keep the family circle thingy, I might actually end up saving money in comparison… And the innovations are to me much more attractive on the Xbox (and a lot of the games).

And hopefully these indie developer issues they’ve been reporting about recently (about requiring publishers for them all) and all the other problems they had during the 360 will also be resolved in the sensible way (that is, make it more free). Then I couldn’t think of anything to complain about.

(Edit): It’s true!
http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
Certainly much better late than never Smile

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

And it’s true.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

One impact of the changes is that now you’ll need to have the disc in the drive to play disc-based games, but that’s really not a problem, is it?

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Certainly not a problem Smile I wonder if that is the only thing that these changes “limit”? (It’s not even such a limitation, just different - though if I read that right, the family sharing thing doesn’t work if you retail, so that the other one could download it (though then you can just loan the copy))

I mean, I hope no functionality is lost because of these changes.

(Edit): Wait, reading is, as the kids say, “tech”...

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Does this mean that the family sharing doesn’t work?  Meh

(Edit2): Damnit, it seems indeed this means family sharing is removed. Sucks big time, that was the feature I was most excited about on this console… I understand that for some people this is better, but for me I’d much rather have the 24-h check w/ family share than this way. It was a really good innovation, and this is just less next-gen now, much closer to just an updated hardware 360. Just like PS4 is basically just a PS3 hardware update (and apparently ever-so-slightly more powerful than X1). It’s also one edge the X1 had over the PS4, now gone (though probably with more gained, looking just sales-wise - people had trouble understanding how much there was to be gained from the family share).

I guess it’s for the better, overall, but the cost is still unfrtunate (especially since this also means that the price difference can’t be narrowed with the game sharing).

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Thank god for competition.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top