• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

My Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Xbox One

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Tad - 07 June 2013 04:56 PM

The biggest problem I have with all this is the online part. My internet is fine and all, but I don’t like the idea of any company saying I can’t play a game when and how I want. With steam at least there’s an offline mode which (for me at least) I’ve never had a problem with. MS are really going to turn people away if they force this on them.

Yeah, indeed.

I wonder, how does it work when the console is plugged off? If it’s somehow always on, as I understood some rumors to say, then I’ll probably often plug it off because I don’t like it when my electronics are on when I’m not using them.

Plus, most of my multiplayer is through system link at a friend’s house, so that’ll always mean I’m taking it off, and having it offline for a few hours.

That reminds me - I certainly hope it still has system link! If not, that’ll be a huge reason to avoid this…

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I can’t believe people are even still considering buying this thing…

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yeah, I’m completely sold on the PS4.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Gotta give Microsoft this - they have a lot of exclusives lined up for once. I’m not really interested in the types of games they have on display, but I can imagine a lot of people would be. I mean Titanfall looks like it’d be a hit with dudebros for sure.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well, I’m a little torn… I’ve always liked the XBox and its games much more than PS’s, but especially that price is quite a threshold, and it has certainly gained on the XBox a lot.

Then again, PS4 did lose that one advantage with free multiplayer too - not that I’m much of a multiplayer myself. And it’s not like I’ll be bying or selling used games… Depends on how all the systems work I guess. No sense making any decisions yet, I’ll just wait and see how everything looks like when they come out, as well as the exclusives. The PS is looking a bit more positive in comparison than it has in the past, but there’s still a lot that I like about this new XBox over it too. And there are still a lot of specs that haven’t been discussed.

I hope they get a quick pricedrop Grin I won’t get either on day one anyways (and can really only afford one, most likely).

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

PS4 is already releasing at $100 cheaper than the Xbox, and honestly, neither will ever have amazing exclusives, if this last generation was anything to go by.  All the biggest games are mult-platform nowadays.

I loved the 360, but I’ll be damned if I will support such blatant anti-consumer practices as the ones Microsoft has so far displayed with the Xbox One.  I really feel like they’ve shot themselves in the foot with this one.  Fuck ‘em.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lambonius - 11 June 2013 09:09 AM

PS4 is already releasing at $100 cheaper than the Xbox, and honestly, neither will ever have amazing exclusives, if this last generation was anything to go by.

LastofUs, Uncharted2, Journey, HeavyRain,DemonSouls, Infamous , LittleBigplanet,GT5 say Hi.
Tongue

With Beyond and GT6 on the border.Smile

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

nomadsoul - 11 June 2013 09:50 AM
Lambonius - 11 June 2013 09:09 AM

PS4 is already releasing at $100 cheaper than the Xbox, and honestly, neither will ever have amazing exclusives, if this last generation was anything to go by.

LastofUs, Uncharted2, Journey, HeavyRain,DemonSouls, Infamous , LittleBigplanet,GT5 say Hi.
Tongue

With Beyond and GT6 on the border.Smile

Fair enough—I should have quantified that statement.  Neither will have a LOT of amazing exclusives.  I think I can practically count the number of awesome “exclusive” Xbox or PS3 games on my fingers.  We’re talking about an 8 year console generation here.  A dozen great exclusives is still lacking, in my opinion.  Smile

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

There are two things of note though, in my opinion. First of all considering the current generation - XBox originally had more exclusives, but Sony made at some point a big push towards getting some of those for the PS too. Mirror’s Edge comes to mind as an example (though I could remember wrong, but it was clearly later that it came to the PS… Oh, and Mass Effect, obviously). PS seems to have always had a lean towards the Asian games, and most of the exclusives were from Japan or so (those games haven’t ever really interested me), but they tried to get away from that in these last few years.

And secondly, now again, we can see an (even higher than before) emphasis from Microsoft on the exclusives (it seems they put more money than ever into securing those), but I suspect PS will quite soon start to try catching up on them.

Anyways, for me in the last generation it was clearly XBox that got all the interesting exclusives from day one (except the very rare exception like Journey), so then it was a no-brainer with the Box being so much cheaper and all, too. Right now, the game list looks more interesting on the XBox, but neither’s list is so exciting that I would have to get it. Waiting for anything else the E3 has to offer, then the GDC, then one might start having a better idea (but I think it’s ridiculous to start making any assertions right now - not until there are reliable, concrete experiences from people with the actual consoles, as well as a better knowledge about the games)

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

UPtimist - 11 June 2013 11:22 AM

(but I think it’s ridiculous to start making any assertions right now - not until there are reliable, concrete experiences from people with the actual consoles, as well as a better knowledge about the games)

So are you saying the publisher-first, anti-consumer tactics that Microsoft is employing don’t concern you at all?

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Lambonius - 11 June 2013 12:38 PM
UPtimist - 11 June 2013 11:22 AM

(but I think it’s ridiculous to start making any assertions right now - not until there are reliable, concrete experiences from people with the actual consoles, as well as a better knowledge about the games)

So are you saying the publisher-first, anti-consumer tactics that Microsoft is employing don’t concern you at all?

No I wasn’t, but since you asked no, doesn’t concern me that much. It’s unfortunate surely and would be better if it was different, but it’s ridiculous to believe that either of the companies cares any more about the consumer than the other, because either way it’s all simply business, through and through, for both companies. To them it’s purely about money and so to us it’s about the product. That’s why I say wait and see the final product, because there’s nothing more to it (but a simple price-quality comparison) - and we don’t know everything yet to make that comparison.

And as for these issues, they don’t much touch me because I don’t really buy or sell used games. The internet connection thing is annoying but as long as I can use the wifi for it it’s not much of a problem. Also, there’s a chance this could lower the prices of the games, and that would be very pro-consumer. What I care for is pleasant and easy gaming, and we don’t know which one is better yet, in that area. The XBox has some interesting new changes that might really bring very positive changes. Or they won’t, it’s impossible to say yet because no one has tested them yet.

(Frankly, I think most people are just more or less jumping the bandwagon here. It’s certainly not all an exaggeration, but suddenly it’s as if everything about the XBox is designed to enslave all gamers and the Playstation brings in a new era of freedom, when so far it’s as well limiting things from the last generation (but less, sure). At least there seems to also be more innovation and new qualities in the XBox, while the PS4 is pretty much the same but with bigger hardware (which is not to say that it’s necessarily better, but it just shows that one should wait and see))

In other news, they’re finally getting rid of the MS Points. About time.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I kind of feel bad for Don Mattrick - if the XboxOne is a sales flop, it will be his head on the chopping block and he hardly deserves it. He did a commendable job on E3 showcasing lots of interesting games - better exclusives than what the PS4 was offering in my opinion and I’m a little heart broken that I will probably never play that new Killer Instinct or Crimson Dragon or Quantum Break.

I wonder if the system would have more defenders had they just abolished discs to begin with and promised cheaper games through their digital service.

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

That would’ve brought about its own storm. It would’ve been too big a change, people like their physical copies, and what about if you don’t have a fast connection etc.

In some ways this PR nightmare is too bad, because the licensing system also does have certain promising sides to it (which might get overlooked right now - and if the attitude will continue the same way). There are some very interesting, often quite Steam-like, possibilities, hinted at this article (and a bit more speculated at this Finnish article), opened for Xbox One through the changes (and they are saying they will have some things trying out from launch). And they certainly are pushing digital distribution big time (and all the games will be available digitally as well, from day one).

Hopefully they will implement a lot of this they talk about in the article, and hopefully if it’s as good as it sounds people will have gotten over this shock that is happening right now. Because this could really bring some very good changes to the industry…

(Of course, the major big problem is the eventual years-and-years-from-now abandoning of the XOne service, which would render all games obsolete. Then again, they could just do a software update that frees the Xbox from the pinging)

Also, relating to the above comment, the article did also have this:

Mehdi noted that purely digital game marketplaces like the iOS App Store have thrived despite having absolutely no physical media. Implementing that kind of disc-free system on the Xbox One “may not [have been] the best thing for consumers, and it may not [have been] the thing they [would have] wanted,” Mehdi said, which is part of why Microsoft decided to keep discs as an option. Still, he did concede that, without discs, the licensing norms for the system “would be easier to understand.”

(Edit): I think this is a pretty good objective, level-headed evaluation of the situation:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/06/xbox-one-discs-and-downloads-better-than-feared-worse-than-hoped/

Meh, reading even more articles of the way the systems work, is leaving me quite confused Meh It does get a tad too complicated with the going somewhere else and playing that game, but that playtime being limited and so forth… Well, one has to wait and see how the systems work before making any judgements.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Xbox won’t flop. People spend more than 80% of the time watching shows and films more than gaming on the console. Xbox provides a real entertainment system, therefore the people would want it.

The whole Xbox One hate is just the squeaky wheel running itself into the ground.

ANyways, no one will know what will happen until one year after the release of both consoles.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 13 June 2013 01:01 PM

Xbox won’t flop. People spend more than 80% of the time watching shows and films more than gaming on the console. Xbox provides a real entertainment system, therefore the people would want it.

I agree with this. One of my colleagues at work (the only other gamer, AFAIK) is definitely getting the Xbone, because everything they showed at that reveal a few weeks ago is exactly what he would use the most from the system… And none of that is ‘gaming’... Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top