• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Xbox One

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

I’m not really interested in the console, but I may get the controller if it works on a PC (officially, no emulation).

Then again, I’m not sure if that’s even going to be worth it, especially if it requires a new dongle.  The only real improvements seem to be in the D-pad and the rumbling triggers.  But, I’ve been happy with the mod I did for the 360 controller’s D-pad and the new trigger feedback may not be supported in PC games for a while, if ever.  The new controller will probably cost more, too.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

SirDrexl - 30 May 2013 12:53 PM

I’m not really interested in the console, but I may get the controller if it works on a PC (officially, no emulation).

Then again, I’m not sure if that’s even going to be worth it, especially if it requires a new dongle.  The only real improvements seem to be in the D-pad and the rumbling triggers.  But, I’ve been happy with the mod I did for the 360 controller’s D-pad and the new trigger feedback may not be supported in PC games for a while, if ever.  The new controller will probably cost more, too.

I never could get used to the Xbox controllers.  They always seemed way too bulky to me.  For the longest time now, I’ve used my PS3 controller on the PC emulating a 360 controller, and I’ve loved the setup.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

For me the XBox controllers have always felt so much more natural than the others. Even the first, which was huge, but felt fantastic in the hand. Before I tried it I was sure the 360 controller would feel too small Grin And all other controllers have been far more awkward.

Well, to each their own Tongue

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

To me, the bulkiness is what’s good, as more of your hand wraps around it than on the PS1-3 controllers.  The PS4 controller looks to be a move in this direction, with longer “wings.”

Although I thought the original Xbox controller was too big, I have read comments from people with large hands that liked it.  Sometimes I wish they would release first-party controllers in multiple sizes.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Xbone PR mess summary in one piece

http://kotaku.com/chart-how-microsoft-confused-everyone-with-the-xbox-on-510382385

The ANTIDRM movement is doing wonders

Both Sony and M$ say they are listening…

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

MS have done a really poor job with this, and as usual, gamers around the globe overreact and declare their loyalty to the PS4 - a console we know even less about… *sigh*

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

(Edit): Apparently fake, so Tongue Delete button, where art thou?
(Basically, it was a rumoured game list - but it was always quite suspect anyhow… Guess it was too good to be true, with Beyond Good & Evil 2 and Mirror’s Edge 2 Grin)

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

So, it looks like Microsoft today confirmed a lot of the negative rumors or suspicions people have had about the new console. 

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-just-had-a-very-bad-day-511766497

It seems like it may be a pre-E3 dump to get all the bad news out of the way.  E3 is going to be more interesting than usual this year. 

It’s going to be hilarious if Sony reveals this same stuff about the PS4 after seeing the shitstorm Microsoft has found itself in.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

One time connection per day to re-sync my game aint much trouble for me but the
Xbone architecture is based on tranferring of AI, physics and other stuff to Cloud, to
take best out of system and enhance performance, which will be supported by
many games in future.

Respawn game TitanFall has already confirmed using it, and somewhere else it was shared that cloud computing games require constant connection around 1.5mbps

Here last line of this statement

“While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection”.

Edit:

PS4 DRM is quite confirmed atleast for these 3 publishers, who are forcing it

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

The always-online thing doesn’t really bother me.  Steam has acclimated me to that.  I feel like PC users have already gone through the DRM growing pains.  What makes all these limitations OK is the insane prices you can get on places like Steam.  If I’m only paying $7.50 for a AAA title, do I really care if I can give it away or sell it?  There are no indications we will see anything like this with PS4 or X1.  Just look at the Playstation Store, where digital prices are identical to the physical copy.  And the PS store “sales” are laughable compared to Steam. 

The big thing for me is being able to resell the game.  It sounds like the ability to do this will be entirely at the publisher’s discretion.  And the game must be traded in at “participating retailers”.  It seems doubtful that I’ll be able to directly resell my games on Amazon like I normally do.  For me personally, being able to resell games is the only reason I still buy console games, otherwise it would be cost-prohibitive.  I play most of my games on PC.  But I enjoy playing PS3 exclusives, which I usually buy when they first come out, and then resell when I am done.  These games retain their value really well, so I usually only end up being out about $15 and still get to play brand new games.  If this becomes impossible, I’ll probably just stick to PC.

It seems like all these policies are just going to increase the number of casual people dropping consoles and sticking to $1 and F2P mobile games.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

The more I hear about XBOX 1, the more I am turned off by next gen consoles. The draconian DRM, the crazy rules surrounding lending/reselling my games, the inability to rent games so far, is all a huge blow to consumers and lovers of games. I remember a time (yeah I’m getting old Smile ) when consumers were always right. What happened to those good old days? And this doesn’t only stop at gaming. It extends to wireless phone services, banks, cable companies, insurance companies etc…

I get it publishers are trying to make money. But maybe the reason they are not making as much money is because they keep regurgitating the same crap in sequel form year after year after year. Final fantasy is going to hit the 100 mark before I die if we continue at this rate, and call of duty is an annual as my birthday. Honestly, the whole gaming industry is flawed. The fact that you sell 3 million units of something, and still are not profitable is more likely the cause of these companies tough times. I get they are trying to make money, but at one expense? Stripping me as a consumer of all my rights? When is it enough?

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Well, most of the news are indifferent to me - as long as the good news about the “profile family” works without much of a hassle (that is, I don’t have to go through a million hoops to get to play on different accounts etc. - and if there’s a chance for “guest” accounts or something like that in case I play split screen or something). I never sell my games, nor do I buy used games (I don’t have so much time anymore to play, so I only focus on those titles I’m quite sure about - so I only buy very few “big” games a year).

The one thing I fear is the prices of these new games. The current gen games are really bordering on too expensive, with 60-70€ per brand new title (luckily they tend to go down a bit after a while), and with the development prices probably going up, I’m a bit worried about how much that’s going to raise the prices. Could be I can’t actually afford to buy new games anymore.

Well, it’s probable I won’t be able to afford buying the console either, before the first price drop, so I guess I’ll be behind on the titles anyways Grin

Anyways, coming back to these news - the Kinect stuff (that is, being able to turn it all off) is good, though I wish I could take it off altogether. I don’t even know where I’ll put the thing… The main concern is the online stuff. Mainly, if the console has an inbuilt wireless reciever, then it’s fine (as long as it doesn’t need a really good connection all the time), but if it doesn’t, then basically it’s all impossible for me.

The lack of backwards compability sucks… I do play quite a lot of older titles.

In the end, what it really comes down to is how easy it’ll be able to play on. The whole point of console gaming is that you just sit down comfortably and start playing. If it starts taking longer and longer and requiring online checks and all sorts of playing around with accounts and everything, then it’s just not worth the trouble anymore.

(Edit): Also, I really wish they have a sensible version of the console for sale (that is, not something like the Arcade version of 360 without even a harddrive) that has a controller with a chord instead of a chordless one (or then that the chordless has a rechargeable battery included). I hate the changing of batteries with the chordless controllers, not to mention that they cost more to begin with and then you have to spend so much to keep buying batteries that it consumes at crazy speed. I’ll take the chorded version any day. And they’re more reliable and easier to use anyways (and like I said, cheaper).

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

The biggest problem I have with all this is the online part. My internet is fine and all, but I don’t like the idea of any company saying I can’t play a game when and how I want. With steam at least there’s an offline mode which (for me at least) I’ve never had a problem with. MS are really going to turn people away if they force this on them.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

More hate,

1. Polygon:
After a month of vague corporate comments from Microsoft executives, we now know the Xbox One’s game licensing policy was written from the ground up for companies. It’s aggressively anti-consumer and anti-middle class, and it outright ignores underprivileged gamers. It’s gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly and out of touch with a growing global resentment for corporations.

2.Redditor claims MS employees monitoring Reddit; making positive posts about the Xbox1 #1

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1fv5yj/i_saw_microsoft_employees_monitoring_this/

3. Time : Microsoft’s Games Policies Are Clear as Mud (“pure and simple protectionism”).

http://techland.time.com/2013/06/07/microsofts-xbox-one-used-games-policies-are-clear-as-mud/

Looks like PR and money ain’t working for M$.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

(click to see full image)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top