• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady KestrelluckyloserMike the WinoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch - anyone playing?

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

So.. Anyone playing Ni No Kuni yet?

I’m so looking forward to it, but it’s been pushed back until the 1st of February here in Europe. We’ve ordered the Wizard’s edition (Plushy!!) and I’m getting really antsy from all the great reviews it’s getting, like:
Forbes
IGN
Gamespot
Gamesradar

Trailer

I’ve known about it for a while because of my love of Studio Ghibli, but it seems like a game that has gone totally under the radar and suddenly become a splash hit. And it seems to be lauded especially for its low-key and slow paced story!

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I’m still considering whether or not to get the game. I love JRPG’s, but I absolutely hated Dragon Quest VIII for the PS2 and seeing as this is the same developer I’m a little worried.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m going to, but making myself wait for a little while. I have such a hard time paying $60 for a game (I always regret it later!), and I already have Final Fantasy XIII-2 waiting to be played (can’t see myself doing two RPGs at once).

Then again, I finally just finished Final Fantasy XIII after a *year* and I don’t want to wait that long for Ni No Kuni… Confused

I did play the demo, the first “story” anyway. Took me a little while to get the hang of the combat but I can tell this is a game I’ll like.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I played the demo and I was pretty blown away by how gorgeous the graphics were.  I’m also a fan of Studio Ghibli.  Like fov, I think I’ll probably wait a little while to see if the price drops.  I look forward to hearing what people think after they’ve played the real deal.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2005-08-22

PM

This is one of the games that would really make me get a PS3. It looks gorgeous, fun and it has music from Joe Hisaishi and Ghibli graphics! I find that console still too expensive especially since a PS4 is around the corner.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Must play for sure, but will play it in april , from all the feedback, it seems like
RPG wonder after Souls series but unlike Souls more towards JRPG like old ps1 and ps2 days redefined in current HD glory.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Can’t wait to play this game next week. I’ve got that Wizard’s version ordered since September. It’s Level 5 (one of my favourites developers from Japan) + Studio Ghibli - even with bad reviews I would probably get it Smile
Too bad the first DS game was never released but at least we got this one.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2012-03-16

PM

The game has some very nice visuals but i didnt enjoy the battle system during the demo, felt quite unsatisfying to me like the newer FF games. Game was a must buy for me when it was announced since i also like Ghiblis work but i guess i was expecting a action rpg in the vein of Zelda more than this. Still think im going to pick it up eventually when its a bit cheaper and when im longing for a console rpg again eventually

Now Playing: Deponia - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Recently Completed: The Cat Lady 10/10 - Gray Matter 7.0/10 - Puzzle Agent 6.0/10 - Still Life 2 3.0/10
Next to Play:
Wishlist
Anticipating: Stasis - Moebius - Broken Sword: The Serpent’s Curse - Memoranda

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

We’ve nearly finished Ni No Kuni’s story now. I love it! Don’t know of many jRPG games, or old RPGs, so my closest comparison is Final Fantasy crossed with Pokemon. My boy friend says it feels a lot like an old-fashioned RPG.

The environments are beautiful, and the sound track is great, and the animated scenes (though way too few of them) are some of the best I’ve seen in a game. They even have some drawn sequences not animated in the game engine.

Story is slow and very, very hand-holdingy, but the small annoyances (“You must use give heart Oliver”, like you’ve done over 50 times now.. “You have a spell in your hand book for this Oliver, don’t you”) are acceptable when your protagonist is a little boy in way, way over his head, and the game obviously is meant for a range of ages.
Still, the characters are amazing and you grow very fond of them and their quirks. And, even though the game or dialogue doesn’t spell it out, there’s a lot of very heavy, dark themes dealt with throughout the story, your third companion Swaine being the best example, having a very checkered path and a lot of family issues he’s trying to work through.

There’s a lot of meta plot and half-told stories, and we almost weren’t able to stop tonight when the game finally hinted it was going to tell the truth.

The combat is a bit in-between, not quite enough turn-based or real-time based, and giving you vital strategy short cuts about 2 boss fights after you needed them, and the AI leaves a lot to be desired (don’t use that familiar, he’s weak against fire! You’re a healer, don’t stand right in front of the melee mob!!), but it’s still engaging to do battle.

Overall the game can be a bit grindy, especially if you want to go after specific familiars, whose tame rate is completely random, but the story, environment, characters and heart way up for all the small annoyances, making it a really enjoyable, memorable experience.

Note: We’re playing with Japanese voices and English subs. And from hearing the English voices in gameplay videos, this is definitely the best version!

We really hope we can get hold of the soundtrack afterwards, it’s so beautiful!

My favourite is the Fairyground:
Fairyground Soundtrack youtube

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Ugh. That’s the second game that makes me wish I had a PS3… Confused

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 25 February 2013 06:24 AM

Ugh. That’s the second game that makes me wish I had a PS3… Confused

You should, it’s amazing. I’m 35 hours into the game and it’s my favourite JRPG of this generation.
I agree with everything Panthera said. It’s a beautiful game, kind of annoying that we had to wait until the end of console cycle to see something like this. Probably a problem with everyone using Unreal-engine and no colours.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Haven’t finished it yet, but I get the feeling I’m close. Enjoying it a lot. The story is ripped from Harry Potter, but it’s still a good game. Has a lot of character and done a considerable better job then all the Final Fantasy games this gen.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

Hmm, because he is a wizard who lost his parents?
Or do you mean the ending revelation to his story that he was Shadar’s soul mate?
I don’t really think Harry Potter was the first fantasy to do a “pure-hearted” hero, she was just the first who set the story in a school setting.
Most of the story elements in Ni No Kuni are quite traditional fantasy elements, including the number 3 being repeated (companions, important cities, etc). I still found quite a few of the revelations exciting and unsuspected.

And I love that when you think the game is over, you start to get the story of the meta plots.

I’m actually more reminded of Sailor Moon in many aspects.

Loved, loved the extremely Ghibli animation after the revelation of Oliver’s story. It was so satisfying, and so similar to classic endings like Nausicaa and Arrietty.

It’s so Japanese and still so universal.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Based on what I´ve seen of the story it actually seems to resemble the book Mio min Mio (Mio in the Land of Faraway) a lot. Not that suprising considering that Miyazaki is a huge fan of Astrid Lindgrens work.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Panthera - 28 February 2013 06:05 PM

Hmm, because he is a wizard who lost his parents?
Or do you mean the ending revelation to his story that he was Shadar’s soul mate?
I don’t really think Harry Potter was the first fantasy to do a “pure-hearted” hero, she was just the first who set the story in a school setting.
Most of the story elements in Ni No Kuni are quite traditional fantasy elements, including the number 3 being repeated (companions, important cities, etc). I still found quite a few of the revelations exciting and unsuspected.

And I love that when you think the game is over, you start to get the story of the meta plots.

I’m actually more reminded of Sailor Moon in many aspects.

Loved, loved the extremely Ghibli animation after the revelation of Oliver’s story. It was so satisfying, and so similar to classic endings like Nausicaa and Arrietty.

It’s so Japanese and still so universal.

The wrong wording from me. Sorry. What I mean is, it’s got elements of Harry Potter. For the sake of others: Oliver’s parents die, then he gets put into a new world to find out he’s a wizard. Then he has to chase down Shadar and the most powerful wand out there; Mornstar (in Potter it’s the Elder wand) And then finds out Shadar and him are linked. One can’t die without the other dying too (Harry was linked with Voldermort the same way). I’m at the point where you find out who Pea is now. I’m not knocking it in the slightest. I absolutely love this game, best JRPG this gen for me without a doubt - and I haven’t even finished it yet. I just couldn’t help but notice certain similarities that’s all. Like others have said though, other games/books etc have used wizards etc before and after potter too. 

oh and..
you know that part where you think the game has ended and Oliver is going home? I loved it. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game have a twist like that before. I had wondered ” what about the white witch?” and then the Manna plot kicked it. It was a stroke of genius to fool us like that. 

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Finally got this game! I’m curious is people are playing on Easy or Normal? I play RPGs now and then so I’m not a total noob… Just wondering if how people found he challenge level on either setting. (I know you can change it later so I might start on easy and see how it goes. I forget what I picked for the demo.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top