• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoLady Kestrelwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #55: Yesterday Origins

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I feel like the suicide scene just showed the shallowness of Pauline, and since it was, pretty much, an introduction of a character - I started off not liking her. Considering all the hiding spots (although the fan was clever, I gotta admit) , she has obviously done it more then once, too.

I have also noticed that John’s stark facial features are unappealing to me for some reason. Maybe because he looks as a combination of very angry yet aloof at the same time (which I suppose he might be on some level), but I notice it with every cutscene.

Again, it might be just a set-up for something deep; otherwise, it’d be really hard to care about the game when you don’t really care about the characters.

Total Posts: 221

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Just finished chapter 1.

I agree with most of the above ; so far it’s ok, kinda promising, but the tasks you’re given in this chapter aren’t exactly breathtaking, and the puzzles are ok but not great. I was stuck (shortly) a few times because of arguable puzzle design.
For example, I’m not sure what suddenly prompted Pauline to remember her father’s words when looking at the photo for the 5th time while she didn’t do it the first four times. I’m guessing John said something but what that was isn’t clear to me.
So far John is kinda bland and a bit boring and I think I like the fact that they made Pauline totally bitchy. That’s novel. :-)

Also, it’s still really nice graphically speaking.

So this first part was ok for a warm-up, let’s see what’s next.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I’m not sure what suddenly prompted Pauline to remember her father’s words when looking at the photo for the 5th time while she didn’t do it the first four times. I’m guessing John said something but what that was isn’t clear to me.

Yea, that puzzle completely got me too. I had to resort to a walkthrough to complete it.

I also find Pauline and John very underwhelming, rather bland. At this point in the game anyway. This game does get much more interesting later on, its worth the wait.

Hang in there, well all reach the end together.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Finished chapter 2 pretty quickly.

This feels like a big improvement over the first chapter. The story gets livelier, with a Name of the Rose wibe that’s pretty neat, the new characters are fun, the puzzles make more sense and feel more rewarding. And it’s still pretty nice to look at.

I have to say, though, that for me this is one of the games that have a bunch of “try everything on everything” moments. I don’t mind it so much, but it still breaks the immersion. To put it otherwise, the puzzles are ok but they don’t really flow the way I felt the puzzles in Whisper of a Machine did.

I still like the zooming feature, but I have to admit that’s it could be better implemented ; as such it doesn’t feel organic.

And in the end, the kinda cliffhanger at the end of the chapter left me yearning for more, so that’s way more than I expected initially, which is pretty cool.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ninth - 25 September 2019 06:22 AM

This feels like a big improvement over the first chapter. The story gets livelier, with a Name of the Rose wibe

just curious have play The Abbey?

Joined 2003-11-10

PM

Advie - 26 September 2019 01:32 PM

just curious have play The Abbey?

Nope. Is it the game that’s referenced “Murder in the Abbey” on this site ?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yes, because if you like the name of the Rose of the Rose, the Abbey is based on the book.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have played Murder in the Abbey and it’s a fun game. If you liked the medieval chapters of Yesterday Origins you should like that game too.

Worth a try actually.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Mikekelly - 28 September 2019 07:52 AM

I have played Murder in the Abbey and it’s a fun game. If you liked the medieval chapters of Yesterday Origins you should like that game too.

Worth a try actually.

Heart

The remastered Version also worth a replay, the most important thing is that monk Toledo can run Smile what a relief!

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

The remastered Version also worth a replay, the most important thing is that monk Toledo can run Smile what a relief!

I’ll have to get the remastered version, maybe even see if a CPT of this game would be popular.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Let’s play chapter 3 now. You have until next Sunday to finish it.

In the third chapter as John you are going to New York to find an author of the book which John is interested in. Stop when the game goes back to a medieval settng.

Heart

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I like chapter 2 much better. I wasn’t too keen on character design in the first chapter, but in this one the diversity of the NPC cast really shone through. I did sometimes get the feeling I was trying everything on anything, indeed, which was a shame because apart from this the puzzles were nicely integrated in the storyline. Sometimes you can choose between different dialogue options in a way that lets you think it might influence the story or at least trigger a dialogue-based puzzle, but it doesn’t really result in anything - even worse, you can come back and exhaust all answers, even those that would logically be mutually exclusive.

Huge Name of the Rose vibe, that’s right - I haven’t played The Abbey, but I’ve played (some of) The Abbey of Crime Extensum, which is based on the book ; it’s hard (it’s real time, you can get caught while snooping, clues are scarce, you start without a map and have to walk a lot) but I can only recommend it (and it’s free!).

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’m lagging behind. Did find enough time to finish the first chapter this evening though, and should be able to catch up within the next few days.

Doing chores for Pauline and John in Paris was not that interesting so far. I hope going back to Miguel will be a more satisfying experience.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, the good news is the next chapter is another medieval one - chapter 4.

So hang in there just a little longer.

Heart

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

DCast - 23 September 2019 02:47 AM

I feel like the suicide scene just showed the shallowness of Pauline, and since it was, pretty much, an introduction of a character - I started off not liking her. Considering all the hiding spots (although the fan was clever, I gotta admit) , she has obviously done it more then once, too.

I fully agree and found her motivation rather offensive. Also, the puzzle being for her to find things that she very well knows the location of is illogical.

On a much more positive note, the game looks gorgeous even on a very large screen. Since I don’t have a gamepad for my PC, I tried streaming the game to the Nvidia Shield in our home theater. I rarely use the projector for games but am impressed by how well GameStream worked with only a little tinkering. As expected, using the Shield controller for the game was far better than a mouse.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top