• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

GOTY 2014

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

2014 draws to a end a pretty average year in video games. New consoles are still new so it has led to a lot of HD remakes, buggy as hell games being released and a lot of delays into 2015.

So what stood out for you in this year.

Personally it’s been a barren year of missed games and not enough money or time to play what I wanted.

I have still to play a lot of the games that would top this kind of chart. I still have on my to play list the likes of Alien Isolation, Shadows of Mordor (played about 10 mins), Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4 (played about 4 hours), Watch_Dogs, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original sin etc

Some I never bought like Destiny, Evil Within, Elite Dangerous etc

So from what I have played my top games of 2014(excluding Adventures) were:

1. South Park: Stick of Truth

Just like playing a version of the cartoon, this is the funniest game in years and a reasonable RPG to boot.

2. Legends of Grimrock II

Old School dungeon crawler.

3. Wolfenstein New Order

Way better than expected FPS, that had a strong storyline and Nazi’s on the moon.

4. Call of Duty AW

Fun jetpacks add a new dimension to this standard game.

5. Infamous Second Son

Georgous, but ultimatly repetitive.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hey i remember you shitting on Wolfenstein what happened Wink

Mine form other thread

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/4414/P45/#79513

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

nomadsoul - 31 December 2014 03:46 PM

Hey i remember you shitting on Wolfenstein what happened Wink

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/34/P150/#62588

Didn’t exactly shit on it, but I imagine if I had finished Farcry 4, Mordor, Alien and Dragon Age etc then it wouldn’t be near a top 5 list.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I’m already seeing 2014 being painted as a terrible year. There’s this article from Destructoid that just levels every aspect of gaming - the devs, the audience and the critics: http://www.destructoid.com/2014-go-f-ck-yourself-285481.phtml

I agree to a point that there really wasn’t a big budget title this year where the experience matched its pre-release hype. Without those big titles that deliver and steal attention away from every other release there were many odds and ends that were brought up into the spotlight.

Here’s a top five:

5. Child of Light

An addictive light-RPG experience with beautiful storybook environments and enough depth to develop different strategies and skills. If you can stick it out through the rhyming, there’s much to enjoy.

4. Shovel Knight

A roaring retro platformer that mixes the best mechanics of NES sidescrollers with a killer soundtrack.

3. South Park: The Stick of Truth

Another great light-RPG and the most accurate replication of an animated series in game-form. With a lot of polish and these great moments that turn RPG games on their head, it leaves you wanting more.

2. Mario Kart 8

Maybe this is listed too high but the level of fun I had from this eigth installment of a kart racer surprised me more than anything. I’m constantly being drawn back to play just one more round and now with the DLC that doubles the size of the game, there’s more reason to pop the disc back into the WiiU. Also, listen to this:

1. Danganronpa/Danganronpa 2

Such a great series and it feels like the shot of adrenaline that visual novels have needed. You really feel the stakes as these lofty twists and reveals keep you guessing over which high schooler will be knocked off next. The first game is a thrilling tale of hope overcoming despair while the second is a deconstruction of the first. Both are amusingly dark and angsty and will stay with me for years to come.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Feels like this year I didn’t play anything new non-adventure.
GOTY is Bayonetta 2 followed by Destiny (yes, nomad, it’s shit but it’s addicting Smile ). Infamous Second Son and South Park were fun but there are a lot of games in my backlog that I’ll probably like a lot, specially RGPs that I haven’t got around to play (DA:Inquisition; Divinity; Wasteland).

Looking at the GOTY awards by the main press there is no Last of Us this year, awards are being distributed by lots of stuff.

Best old games I played this year were Demons Souls and Borderlands 2 - amazing games!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

There is a whole lot of critically acclaimed games I did not play this year like Dragon Age, Shadow of Mordor, Bayonetta 2, Shovel Knight and Dark Souls 2. They are all on my to play list whenever I have more free time.
Of the ones I did play, here are my top favorite non adventure games:

1- Hearthstone: If you would have told me last year that a free to play card game would be my game of the year, I would have scoffed in disbelief. But Blizzard did to the card game genre what WOW did to the MMO. This was the most addictive fun game I have played all year long. It says something when I played a few matches EVERY single day since its launch in March.

2- South Park: The Stick of Truth: I am a huge South Park fan, and this felt like playing an episode of South Park. But besides the humor and the homage it gives to the show, it had amazing gameplay with a very addictive turn based battle system.

3- Child of Light: Yet another turn based role playing game with beautiful graphics, a cool story, charming characters, and fun innovative battle system.

4- Wolfenstein: The old Wolfenstein games were never known for their good storytelling, but this was a pretty intense story with lots of memorable characters. The dual weilding gunplay was lots of fun.

5- Infamous: Second Sun: I am a huge infamous fan, and to be homest, this game fell short from the quality of the previous 2. Its biggest fault was its repetitive gameplay and side missions, something a lot of open world games suffer from. The reason it was on my list was the fun game mechanics (like the cool unique powers, the world traversal, the ability to switch between multiple powers, and the fun combat) and the breath taking graphics. I have to say, to this date, this is definitely the best looking game on the PS4.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

1.Watch Dogs
2.Tales from the Borderlands
3.Vanishing of Ethan Carter
4.Monument Valley
5.AC Libeation
6.Broken Age
7.The Talos Principle
8.This War of Mine
9.Thief
10.The Silent Age

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Whats up with Hearthstone, snatching GoTY awards , i saw the Review vids and looks dope.
Decent strategy game.

I hate it when they release it for Ipads and leave Iphone, and then release on Android tablets.

If Infinity Blade type games can come over on Iphone then why leave HS.

I want to play it Frown

So anyone played there yet, is it as good as they say???

F2p, how the monetization works??

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 03 January 2015 01:46 PM

Whats up with Hearthstone, snatching GoTY awards , i saw the Review vids and looks dope.
Decent strategy game.

I hate it when they release it for Ipads and leave Iphone, and then release on Android tablets.

I want to play it Frown

Yeah it’s good, not sure why it’s not available on iPhone, its basically the only game I play on the tablet. Luck helps but I have not invested a lot in building a deck so I do get destroyed a lot. Expansion brought some single player battles.
Give it a try on PC, its free
.Monetization is great, you don’t have to spend a dime, just playing to get stuff and new cards keep unlocking.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 03 January 2015 02:01 PM
nomadsoul - 03 January 2015 01:46 PM

Decent strategy game.

I want to play it Frown

Yeah it’s good, not sure why it’s not available on iPhone, its basically the only game I play on the tablet. Luck helps but I have not invested a lot in building a deck so I do get destroyed a lot. Expansion brought some single player battles.
Give it a try on PC, its free
.Monetization is great, you don’t have to spend a dime, just playing to get stuff and new cards keep unlocking.

Installing on PC now, apparently Iphone ver is coming in first quarter. Smile

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Hearthstone is not only great, it is AMAZING. There are a lot of haters who describe it as very casual and to those, I tell them to try to reach legendary in ranked play. It is very easy to pick up and play, but very hard to master.

As far as playing it on iphone, the game barely runs on my ipad 2 and keeps crashing. That’s because it is polished like no other, and every single card has a unique battlecry/deathrattle quote and unique animation, so it is too intense for my old iPad 2. I doubt the old iphones will be able to run it, and even if the new ones do, the small screen makes it very difficult to play. I usually play it on my PC, and it runs amazing there.

Is the game free to play? Yes. Do you have to pay? That’s up to you. If you get as competitive in it as I am, you will have to buy some packs to get at least a few of the legendaries. If you want to play more casually, Blizzard is very generous with the game in that they give you a daily quest that earns you gold, and every other day, you will have enough gold to purchase a pack. You can also spend your gold on Arena runs, and in those, you have access to all the cards in Hearthstone. You get to choose your deck of 30 cards, by picking each one of them from a choice of 3 cards you are given. In arena, the playing field is more even, and usually it is more of a test of your skill (and a little bit of luck in the cards presented to you). In ranked play, it is still a test of your skill, but to get far, you need to have access to the top tier cards.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Ok , time flew by and burned 3 hrs into the game.
Dope and addictive, i like the variety in artworks on card and how strategic it is.
Music also makes the mood pleasant.

Though some random card deck generation makes it really random, unless you first go on the spree to unlock packs and start your own customized deck.

Performance was fine on my not so good laptop, can’t imagine it will fail to run on Ipad2.
I guess with low settings it could do fine on Iphone,there are better looking heavy games already on appstore.

So yes, as multiplayer and mobile game, it might deserve, but overall GoTY , hell no.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 03 January 2015 09:45 PM

Ok , time flew by and burned 3 hrs into the game.
Dope and addictive, i like the variety in artworks on card and how strategic it is.

Though some random card deck generation makes it really random, unless you first go on the spree to unlock packs and start your own customized deck.

Performance was fine on my not so good laptop, can’t imagine it will fail to run on Ipad2.
I guess with low settings it could do fine on Iphone,there are better looking heavy games already on appstore.

So yes, as multiplayer and mobile game, it might deserve, but overall GoTY , hell no.

Yeah you need to create your own decks to get far in this game. You will unlock several basic cards as you level up each of your classes to level 10. The rest of the cards, you get through packs.

As far as the iPad2, it does run on it though chuggy. Where it sucks is that when a card animation is graphically intensive or there are too many minions on the board, the game can crash which sucks royally if you are winning. On a computer, if a game runs out of memory, it swaps to the hard disk and uses virtual memory and doesnt crash, but swapping to virtual memory makes the game very slow. On tablets, the game crashes when it runs out of RAM. The iPad 2 has only 512 MB RAM, shared with the OS and other apps. How much RAM do you have on your laptop.

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Did you notice the background music is by Peter McConnell (composer for many LucasArts and Double Fine games)? Here is a short interview with him. The soundtrack is a free download, but I guess if you play Hearthstone often you will hear it enough that way. Smile

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Caliburn - 04 January 2015 03:25 PM

Did you notice the background music is by Peter McConnell (composer for many LucasArts and Double Fine games)? Here is a short interview with him. The soundtrack is a free download, but I guess if you play Hearthstone often you will hear it enough that way. Smile

Thanks for the share Smile, no i wasn’t aware of his involvement, thats definitely a quality
selection by Blizzard for a F2P game.

@soccerdude

2GB, and it stutters sometimes but no crashing, on high detail.
Solo adventures Healers and shield spammers are making me crazy, AI also favors them on
first draw/hand. I get 3 level cards and have to wait till enemy lines up his minions and
hit my health down. Pan

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

1. Danganronpa/Danganronpa 2

Such a great series and it feels like the shot of adrenaline that visual novels have needed. You really feel the stakes as these lofty twists and reveals keep you guessing over which high schooler will be knocked off next. The first game is a thrilling tale of hope overcoming despair while the second is a deconstruction of the first. Both are amusingly dark and angsty and will stay with me for years to come.

These made my GOTY list for 2014. Glad others liked them as well.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top