• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Two new Double Fine projects being funded by Indie Fund

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/two-double-fine-projects-being-funded-by-indie-fund/

Indie Fund is funding two original projects with Double Fine. The news was announced during the Horizon conference by Indie Fund’s Kellee Santiago and Double Fine producer Greg Rice. Santiago didn’t offer any additional details, saying only that there would be more revealed in “the coming months.”

Kellee Santiago is the co-founder of thatgamecompany, so I can only imagine it was difficult for the Indie Fund to turn down a legend like Schafer asking for a hand out.

So then, what do you think Double Fine has cooking?

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

They could have given $100k to eight different indie studios.  But sure—those needy paupers at Double Fine…yeah.  Bravo, Indie Fund.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Lambonius - 13 June 2013 08:23 PM

They could have given $100k to eight different indie studios.  But sure—those needy paupers at Double Fine…yeah.  Bravo, Indie Fund.

While Double Fine technically is indie - as in independent - I do find this a bit puzzling. I thought the Indie Fund was supposed to help up-and-commers, not big companies like Double Fine just because they aren’t owned by a publisher.

Putting that aside I’m very interested in hearing what Double Fine might be up to. I doubt it’s another adventure game, but their games are usually fun no matter the genre.

EDIT: Over on Joystiq a representative from the Indie Fund says that there’s not a lack of money within the organization, but rather a lack of promising indie projects to back, so there’s lots of money left even after backing Double Fine.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Moved this over to General - no indication at this point that the two games are adventures. We can always move it back if that turns out to be true.

For those puzzled by the announcement, the comment in this article from Double Fine’s community manager Chris Remo is worth a read.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Lambonius - 13 June 2013 08:23 PM

Tim has looked a bit thin lately, to be honest. I was wondering if he was getting low on lunch money.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I do agree that giving the fund to Double Fine just doesn’t sound right. I love DF to death, but they are not indie and there are tons of smaller true indie guys that can use that money to build some awesome new games.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

If there’s one thing I’ve learned and HAVE learned to admire about Tim Schafer, it’s that he’s very good at procuring money that he probably doesn’t deserve.

Here we have a designer who’s responsible for not just one but multiple big budget failures and yet he’s still able to obtain funding for the next project. The most amazing feat from him is that he was able to get E.A. on board for Brutal Legend even after he had two notches in his belt of triple A bombs in Grim Fandango and Psychonauts.

So, I can’t find fault with the Indie Fund over this one. They were rused by a masterful salesman and the gamers will reap most of the benefits.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

thejobloshow - 19 June 2013 05:48 AM

If there’s one thing I’ve learned and HAVE learned to admire about Tim Schafer, it’s that he’s very good at procuring money that he probably doesn’t deserve.

Here we have a designer who’s responsible for not just one but multiple big budget failures and yet he’s still able to obtain funding for the next project. The most amazing feat from him is that he was able to get E.A. on board for Brutal Legend even after he had two notches in his belt of triple A bombs in Grim Fandango and Psychonauts.

So, I can’t find fault with the Indie Fund over this one. They were rused by a masterful salesman and the gamers will reap most of the benefits.

And that is now a fact, if there any defenders of Brokenage fiasco, there is another
scam Dfine recently pulled off.

Early game access , Spacebase df9 to cease.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/18/double-fine-early-access-spacebase-df9/

Some people paid 100+ for backing it, wtf???

And reports are game sold for 20$ on EA??

Shitstorm doesn’t end there, read this

This company is a Fraud. Pan

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

This cat is running out of lives.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

nomadsoul - 19 September 2014 08:42 AM

And that is now a fact, if there any defenders of Brokenage fiasco, there is another
scam Dfine recently pulled off.

Early game access , Spacebase df9 to cease.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/18/double-fine-early-access-spacebase-df9/

Some people paid 100+ for backing it, wtf???

And reports are game sold for 20$ on EA??

Worse, even. It’s €22.99 ($30) in Europe.
While I won’t judge them as harshly as you, I am starting to think Double Fine lacks certain essential business skills. It’s sad how things have been going, and I don’t think I’ll Kickstart or preorder from them again. (I didn’t back DF-9 and I’m not too concerned about Broken Age, but I do worry about Massive Chalice.)

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Out of anything Massive Chalice is probably in the best hands of the company. Brad seems to run a tight ship and the game is coming along nicely as far as I can tell.

The weird structure of the company can be very hit and miss from project to project, depending on who is running the show.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Don’t know what went wrong with Df-9, maybe they were expecting for bigger sales to keep the game progressing from alpha and decided to abandon it now. Disappointing but I’m not sure in what state the game will be released.

Hack n Slash did get released recently and is getting some favorable reviews.

I don’t know how can they take so long to release Act 2 of Broken Age - better be mindblowin!

Also not too worried about Massive Chalice, development seems to continue well from the updates.

Costume Quest 2 is getting released soon (and was not crowd funded)

I don’t think they are scamming anybody but they need to start running a tight ship if they want to keep relying on kickstarter or Early Access

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I’m not a big believer in Early Access but I did buy Spacebase DF9 (on sale, at least). I had messed around with the alpha and it seemed promising, so I figured why not.

This is pretty disappointing, and I’m pretty sure DF knows it. They’re going right from Alpha to 1.0, so that speaks volumes to how suddenly they had the rug yanked from under them. They only had 2 people on the team too, which is less than the number of people most people keep on for support. How hard is it to just keep them on to continue to update?

If they announced they were going 1.0 but would continue to update, it wouldn’t seem so shitty, but this is clearly just yanking the project.

I wonder if maybe JP LeBreton is moving on to another company or a bigger project or something. It seems like it’d have to be something like that.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

Fool me once…

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I know imagine the cheek of a company working on a game, putting more money into it that it was generating and then trying to at least give the people a finished game and free access to the source code.

The fact of the matter is developers are releasing betas and alphas of these games and because of the way it is being funded gamers have an over inflated self image of entitlement.

Every backer will get what they paid for i.e the posters, name in credits etc and the finished game so nobody can say DF ran off with the money and didn’t fulfil it’s end of the bargain. The only thing up for debate is the quality of the actual finished product and that is always an unknown factor when prefunding.

If DF had worked on the game behind the scenes and then released it in it’s current state people would say it was a fun experience and be happy with that or not. The quality of the game would be judged and reflected in sales and reviews and nobody would be screaming that it is a scam. (BTW a scam that loses you a lot of money is a pretty shitty scam)

DF are a business and putting more and more money into something that isn’t selling is a quick way to go out of business. DF is taking a loss on this game and are as dissapointed as everyone else that they cant continue development, but are still spending money on turning it into a 1.0 release even though the money is no longer there.

There was no fraud or scam involved, people bought into an unfinished game but not in enough numbers to keep funding it. Despite that they have worked on it for 2 years provided multiple alphas and constantly added new features.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 21 September 2014 06:45 AM

gamers have an over inflated self image of entitlement.

QFE.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top