• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Which laptop should I buy?

Total Posts: 41

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

hello friends,

I am from India,I am consider to buy a laptop with dedicated graphics cards.

Right now i consider HP and Dell company.

With my budget i got following dedicated graphics or video cards

NVIDIA GeForce 820M (2 GB DDR3 dedicated) (with both HP AND DELL)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 820M; 2GB Discrete Graphics(WITH HP)

AMD Radeon™ HD R7 M265 2GB DDR3(WITH DELL)

NVIDIA® GeForce® 840M 2GB DDR3L (with dell) cost little higher, may be give preferences.

PROCESSOR : 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4210U processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)(2 CORES OR MAY BE NOT)

RAM: 4GB OR 6 GB

I only consider myself as POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE GAMES FAN(all types)

SO WHICH LAPTOPS WITH SPECS SHOULD I BUY TO PLAY CURRENT HIGH END AND FUTURE COMING GAMES WITH FULL SETTINGS OR MAY BE MEDIUM SETTINGS

PLEASE HELP ME TO BUY

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

dwapar - 09 August 2014 12:53 AM

SO WHICH LAPTOPS WITH SPECS SHOULD I BUY TO PLAY CURRENT HIGH END AND FUTURE COMING GAMES WITH FULL SETTINGS OR MAY BE MEDIUM SETTINGS

If this is what you want with your laptop, then you’ll need better specs than the ones you posted (and they’ll cost more). I’d also look at Asus, Lenovo or even Alienware (which is specifically designed as a gaming laptop - pricy though) instead of HP or Dell.

As for the graphics card, I’d definitely go for a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 820M or better, but the processor will really need to be an i7-4700MQ or higher, especially if you still want to play high-end games in the future.

Also, 4GB or 6GB RAM is on the low side. You’ll want 8GB at the very least.

If you want to restrict yourself to adventure games and indie games, you can settle for one of the laptops of which you posted the specs, but if you really want to play high end games then that comes with a hefty price tag (it’s practically so bad that I’d suggest a desktop instead)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

thanks ,so i can play high end adventure games with this specs

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

If by “high end adventure games” you mean The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and L.A. Noire, then yeah, you can.

Do try to get one with a Nvidia Geforce GTX card instead of a GT card as they’re better for gaming. Then the i5 processor is going to be more than sufficient. The processing speed is probably the most important stat though (try to aim for at least 2.7 or 2.8 GHz).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Yes, those specs will let you play the most demanding adventure games out there today. But I would also get 8GB main ram to allow future games to run well also.

This way, you won’t have to upgrade for many years.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

TimovieMan - 09 August 2014 09:31 AM

If by “high end adventure games” you mean The Testament of Sherlock Holmes and L.A. Noire, then yeah, you can.

Do try to get one with a Nvidia Geforce GTX card instead of a GT card as they’re better for gaming. Then the i5 processor is going to be more than sufficient. The processing speed is probably the most important stat though (try to aim for at least 2.7 or 2.8 GHz).

i dont get nvidia gtx graphics card with my new laptop.what i do

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, a GT card will get the job done as well, and it’s a lot cheaper, it’s just not designed for high end games. It basically means that you probably won’t be playing the newest high end games on maximum video settings and will have to settle for ‘medium’ settings.
Usually not that big a deal for adventure games, but it could be in the future (I’m thinking Dreamfall Chapters and the next Frogwares game and the likes).

And I agree with Mikekelly that 8GB of RAM is a necessity.

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

TimovieMan - 10 August 2014 10:14 AM

Well, a GT card will get the job done as well, and it’s a lot cheaper, it’s just not designed for high end games. It basically means that you probably won’t be playing the newest high end games on maximum video settings and will have to settle for ‘medium’ settings.
Usually not that big a deal for adventure games, but it could be in the future (I’m thinking Dreamfall Chapters and the next Frogwares game and the likes).

And I agree with Mikekelly that 8GB of RAM is a necessity.

is these laptops can adapt external graphics card.

Can i assemble newly buy nvidia gtx dedicated graphics cards to this laptops by any computer expert

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

dwapar - 10 August 2014 01:40 PM

is these laptops can adapt external graphics card.

Can i assemble newly buy nvidia gtx dedicated graphics cards to this laptops by any computer expert

I doubt it, on laptops the graphics card is normally build directly into the motherboard, and you can usually only perform those kind of upgrades on desktop computers.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Like Iznogood says: graphics cards are built directly into the motherboard and there’s only a limited amount of upgrades you can perform.

But don’t fret the graphics card. I have a GT card as well instead of a GTX (and it’s an older one since I bought my laptop over a year ago), and I have no problems running any adventure games, including L.A. Noire.
I’m just not trying Crysis 3. Wink

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Compared to desktop computers, laptops have very limited upgrade capability. You really need to buy a laptop not only for the games you play today, but will be released in the near future.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

i see a laptop deal in ebay.in of dell i7 processor ,it looks like cheap.is it worth it ?

Dell Inspiron 15-3537 Laptop
Core i7-4500U
4GB ram

500GB hard disk
Graphic Processor AMD Radeon HD 8850M(2 gb)

It worth as 812.07 US DOLLAR

SHOULD I GO THROUGH IT OR I SHOULD BUY FROM DELL OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

dwapar - 12 August 2014 01:40 PM

Core i7-4500U

Good start. How many cores? What speed? 2.4 should be the minimum.

4GB ram

That’s on the low side. You want at least 6GB and preferably 8GB.

That’s comparable to a Nvidia GT card (not a GTX card). Personally, I’d pick Nvidia over AMD no matter what. It’s been a decade since AMD had the better cards.

That’s your call, not ours. Wink

Personally, for a thing like this, I’d go to a specialized retail shop instead of online. You’ll get a bit more options (like the better graphics cards), and have a place to go to when anything happens to the hardware.

Joined 2013-07-23

PM

TimovieMan - 12 August 2014 04:38 PM
dwapar - 12 August 2014 01:40 PM

Core i7-4500U

Good start. How many cores? What speed? 2.4 should be the minimum.

4GB ram

That’s on the low side. You want at least 6GB and preferably 8GB.

That’s comparable to a Nvidia GT card (not a GTX card). Personally, I’d pick Nvidia over AMD no matter what. It’s been a decade since AMD had the better cards.

That’s your call, not ours. Wink

Personally, for a thing like this, I’d go to a specialized retail shop instead of online. You’ll get a bit more options (like the better graphics cards)), and have a place to go to when anything happens to the hardware.

so i have to go to retail shop

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

dwapar - 12 August 2014 10:27 PM

so i have to go to retail shop

Like I said: that’s your call.

Going to a retail shop is what I would do, but I’m based in Belgium, which undoubtedly has an entirely different retail culture than India. And for buying things online, I know which sites to trust and which not here. The situation could be very different where you live…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top