• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04GabrielKeybordzLady KestrelTheTMDwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Child of Light

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

It’s a good year for RPGs. In the last few months a varied range of well designed, addictive titles have come out to positive feedback from critic and player alike. Games like South Park: The Stick of Truth, Dark Souls 2 and Atelier Escha & Logy along with HD versions of Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy X have flooded RPG fans with choice.

Along comes Child of Light, a watercolour fairy tale where you play a red haired girl flying through a world that evokes Lewis Carroll, The Wind in the Willows and The NeverEnding Story. It’s a mish mash of fairy tale tropes strung together with appealing characters, an evocative soundtrack and a wildly intricate combat system.

Don’t assume the visual style means the game skews to a younger audience. Child of Light’s battle system uses a timeline that tracks waiting and casting times for each party member and enemy. You fight by casting an attack before your enemy interrupts you while micromanaging your firefly sidekick who can make enemies wait longer before attacking. It sounds really complicated and it requires quick, strategic thinking but the game eases you into this system. There’s also crafting and skill trees to improve the characters’ abilities and you feel the benefits of these perks immediately.

I’ve put four hours into the game and I’ve enjoyed it enough to post this. Ubisoft have put together a creative title with care towards its lore, its art design and its mechanics. Great game. It’s shaping up to be one of my favourites for the year.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tried demo , combat is rudimentary and feels like it could hamper the enjoyment.

Aesthetics are sick however, no two opinions about that.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m about 2 hours into it, gorgeous game, the battle system with the timed bar is interesting, but at the beginning I’m sill learning the tactics (but I’ve died a couple of times), using the a fairy to slow down the enemies or heal is a great mechanic. The story doesn’t seem very original for now.

Playing on Hard mode is the best option from what I’ve read.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

What do you think of the writing? It’s written completely in rhyme but it’s not very strong. I can’t recall a single line from the game although the story is easy to follow.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I agree, the rhymes make sense in the fairy tale children book theme, but the writing has nothing really remarkable so far. The jester messing up the rhymes is amusing.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

Seeing as how Child of Light is on the Steam Summer Sale, I was wondering if anyone had played it. I love the art style and I love RPGs like Dragon Age and The Witcher, which I understand are not turn-based RPGs…

How is the story? Is the game voiced? Also, a lot of people have very vocal complaints about the fact that the game uses UPlay, which I’ve never had to deal with. Any thoughts on this particular form of DRM?

Thanks

Edit: Oh bother. I just noticed the same thread on page 2. Please feel free to merge…

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Threads merged! I’m planning to check this out on PS3 after I get through some other games I have lined up. Did download the demo but I haven’t tried it yet. So… basically I’m no help. (But I can merge threads!)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top