• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ancient Greece

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2008-07-19

PM

Hi everyone!

I was on my studies and looking for a time to cool off for a while, but not too much from my subject if you get me. So I went on looking for books, TV shows, films and video games and noticed something shocking - except for the first (and even there it’s quite scarce) there appears to be a complete lacking of Ancient Greece in the entertainment industry. I was looking for something at least remotely similar to HBO’s Rome - nothing. Of the movies, there’s only Alexander and it’s not that good (getting its fourth and supposedly final version only this year from Oliver Stone). I could count Troy, but it delves a bit more into mythology than history (despite the realistic execution).

This appears to be the case exactly for the gaming industry. I haven’t been able to find any adventure games so I’m now just looking for something in general; am I just misinformed or are there really merely a few games that delve into ancient Greece?

* I’ve already played Zeus+Poseidon a gagillion times and it’s one of my most favorite games of all time, if I recall it’s the first PC game I’ve actually ever played in my life.

* I’ve also played a bit Rome: Total War: Alexander; must say that am not really that impressed; it was only mildly entertaining and more looked like a mod than a standalone game.

So, any recommendations? Am I just horridly misinformed or..?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Rise of the Argonauts is based in Ancient Greece. Can’t say it’s brilliant, but it’s a passable RPG.

The obvious ones are the 4 God of War games that are loosly based on greek mythology.

http://www.giantbomb.com/ancient-greece/3035-89/games/

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2008-07-19

PM

Lucien21 - 17 September 2013 02:04 AM

Rise of the Argonauts is based in Ancient Greece. Can’t say it’s brilliant, but it’s a passable RPG.

The obvious ones are the 4 God of War games that are loosly based on greek mythology.

http://www.giantbomb.com/ancient-greece/3035-89/games/

Lol, God of War. Grin Grin Grin

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Surgeon - 16 September 2013 10:07 PM

Hi everyone!

I was on my studies and looking for a time to cool off for a while, but not too much from my subject if you get me. So I went on looking for books, TV shows, films and video games and noticed something shocking - except for the first (and even there it’s quite scarce) there appears to be a complete lacking of Ancient Greece in the entertainment industry…

Fiction set in ancient Greece
plus there are blunt ags like Odyssey: The Search for Ulysses ,Wishbone and the Amazing Odyssey.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Wrath of the Gods - FMV based on mythology

Eleusis - 1st-person

Quest for Glory 5 has a lot of ancient Greece-vibe to it.

Age of Empires 1, obviously.

Theseis looked promising, but unfortunately it’s cancelled.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2003-10-03

PM

What diego said with an emphasis on Wrath of the Gods on DOS, I remember it being very well recepted by greek magazines..

Rise of the Argonauts unfortunately was not a very good game, tried it but couldn’t get into it.. Titan’s Quest though was GREAT and if you like Diablo games this is probably the only one that stood against D2 and a great game of the genre..but from what I understand you want a game to meet ancient Greece, not hack n slash the whole place lol… still great game..

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-04-27

PM

Age of mythology, spin off to age of empire series.

There are no games games or movies that are true to original Greek writing because it’s not commercially suitable(because of tragic fates, rapes, misogyny and stuff like that.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2003-10-03

PM

I shouldn’t ever reply to an obvious troll with a suiting nickname but anyway : you probably win the prize of ignorance for saying that ancient greek writing (which btw is NOT what he asked for only, as he asked for works influenced by Ancient Greece or depicting it,  not literature based only -read more careful next time..) is about all those completely ignorant words you used and do not even *try* to expand and make any point… Pathetic..

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-04-27

PM

Emperor13 - 01 October 2013 11:41 AM

I shouldn’t ever reply to an obvious troll with a suiting nickname but anyway.

And yet you try to to prove some point in rest of post to obvious troll post.Troll wins;).

Joined 2008-07-19

PM

diego - 21 September 2013 06:30 PM

Wrath of the Gods - FMV based on mythology

Eleusis - 1st-person

Quest for Glory 5 has a lot of ancient Greece-vibe to it.

Age of Empires 1, obviously.

Theseis looked promising, but unfortunately it’s cancelled.

I meant something that would get me into the spirit of Ancient Greece and assist me in thus in studying it. I want to read professional literature and then spend the cool-off playing something Ancient Greece-style, to tie-in with my education.

I was seeking something Paradox-style…so far found Spartan: Gates of Troy.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2014-02-03

PM

I think the origin of Agronauts..is indeed debatable..i guess it is Greece.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

There’s this new Kickstarted game called Jason the Greek that’s in the making.Should be fun.

Btw Floyd…what do you mean the origin is debatable?In what way is the origin debatable?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

As it happens I am working on this game that you might like:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=119407378

It’s called Hellas and it’s an attempt at translating Greek mythology into interactive form, set on the surface of a traditional black-figure vase. It’s fairly early - a lot of work to do still - but maybe check it out if you’re interested.

Others have mentioned Titan Quest and Age of Mythology which are good, though the former especially seems to take a lot of liberties with the subject matter, so bear that in mind if that kind of thing bothers you. Also maybe try Nyx Quest.

There’s another much older game by LucasArts called Herc’s Adventures which seems interesting initially but goes completely off the rails towards the end *cough*alien robots*cough*.

Personally I’m not the biggest fan of God of War. While the excessive violence is not inaccurate to the material necessarily the overly sadistic tone is just really unpleasant and the whole killing the gods power fantasy is pretty much the opposite of the actual themes of Greek myth (re: hubris etc). Also I hate Quick Time Events.

If you want another tip for movies/TV I really enjoyed the ‘97 Odyssey mini-series. Also the Harryhausen classics Jason and the Argonauts and Clash of the Titans are must-see.

The original 300 is enjoyable in a cheesy over the top sort of way.

And if you don’t mind bad story and acting you might also consider the more recent Clash + Wrath of the Titans. Good action scenes and nice effects (mostly).

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

in general, while the ancient Greek history and myths are used in many many many books/movies/games, most of the time are diluted as elements and fictionalised basis and not the greater core.

I am also baffled why developers don’t use it as their base as much but i guess it is easier and safer to use it as a basis and add elements from other world mythologies to make a complete package that will remind something to everyone. a bit depressing to be sure but there you have it.

games that i can think with a Greek mythology main core are a few:

Kid Icarus
Heroes of Hellas
God of War
Rise of the Argonauts
Rygar
Spartan: Total Warrior
Titan Quest
Warriors: Legends of Troy
Zeus: Master of Olympus (+ Poseidon)
Mytheon
Rome Total War: Alexander Expansion

In adventures:
I’d say that Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is based in Greek history about 40% and is the adventure that pays the greatest homage to that history.

in a more unique twist, I’d recommend “The Sea will claim everything”. Absolutely phenomenal!

interesting upcoming games are:

-Jason the Greek (adventure): was kickstarted a few months ago so we can hope for that.
-Apotheon (2d platformer): coming soon. looks AMAZING!

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

Yeah, Total War: Rome-Alexander expansion is probably the best of the bunch. Although I’m fed up with Alexander, would rather see Athens-Sparta wars era, that would be great. To bad HBO doesn’t make a show about Greece in Rome style.

Total Posts: 144

Joined 2010-11-08

PM

Surgeon - 16 September 2013 10:07 PM

Hi everyone!

I was on my studies and looking for a time to cool off for a while, but not too much from my subject if you get me. So I went on looking for books, TV shows, films and video games and noticed something shocking - except for the first (and even there it’s quite scarce) there appears to be a complete lacking of Ancient Greece in the entertainment industry. I was looking for something at least remotely similar to HBO’s Rome - nothing. Of the movies, there’s only Alexander and it’s not that good (getting its fourth and supposedly final version only this year from Oliver Stone). I could count Troy, but it delves a bit more into mythology than history (despite the realistic execution).

This appears to be the case exactly for the gaming industry. I haven’t been able to find any adventure games so I’m now just looking for something in general; am I just misinformed or are there really merely a few games that delve into ancient Greece?

* I’ve already played Zeus+Poseidon a gagillion times and it’s one of my most favorite games of all time, if I recall it’s the first PC game I’ve actually ever played in my life.

* I’ve also played a bit Rome: Total War: Alexander; must say that am not really that impressed; it was only mildly entertaining and more looked like a mod than a standalone game.

So, any recommendations? Am I just horridly misinformed or..?

Hey,I’m Greek,I live in northern Greece.Actually the movie Troy has a gazillion changes from the original,stuff that totally change characters and plot in a large scale.I refused to watch it when it came out,only watched parts of it a few months ago on TV and as a Holywood action flick,it’s just that…a Holywood action flick with lots of mistakes and changes.

If you wanna check some nice movies I’d suggest the classic Odyssee movie with Kirk Douglas,that was epic,Jason and the Argonauts,I think that’s the title of the also old movie about the Argonauts…also the Odyssee with Arman Assante,although I’m not sure if that’s a TV movie or TV Series,it’s been on TV as a movie here.

Don’t get me started with Stone’s Alexander…arghhh…

But anyway,yeah…the Frank Miller’s 300 had captured the spirit of Ancient Spartans very well,especially in the comic.That was a great graphic novel.

Combine Water with Condom to get Water balloon

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top