• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Old RTS games

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2013-12-09

PM

I’ve recently gotten back into RTS games but been craving to play classics rather than new ones. I know about the WarCraft/Starcraft series so am looking for something else.

So far I’ve come across these which I’ve liked:

Black & White
Amazon & Aliens
Tzar

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Battle Realms 1 an 2, my fav.

Giant: Citizen Kabuto

Needs Sequel badly, would be great to see a Nextgen sequel.
Back when it was first announced, the trailer floored me, the concept, graphics.

PC RTS scene went downhill in creativity after that.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Giants was great, also hilarious game.

You probably already played them but Command and Conquer/Red Alert until number 2 are classics.
Also Dark Reign, KKND, Total Annihilation for typical RTS.

Sacrifice is a great hybrid.

More modern, but great IMO: Company of Heroes 1 and Warhammer 40k - the first games from each series from Relic

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m not a fan of RTS games (preferring turn-based instead), but I did get quite a lot of enjoyment out of Cossacks: European Wars.

Best RTS game, imo (out of the few I played, at least).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One of the best strategies and medieval games overall is Lords of the Realm 2 - it is a very unique in a sense that it combines turn-based management with a real-time battles.

It is known to feature some of the best voice acting of your units - here’s an easter egg song mixing those sounds Grin.

And here’s the intro movie.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2060

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I really like the first Age of Empires. It is just so cozy and nice-looking, not to mention easy to get into. Populous: The Beginning is also a great mix between RTS and God Sim. Nice use of early 3D too.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Doom - 09 December 2013 11:39 AM

I really like the first Age of Empires…

Seconded all the way to the bank!

The original command and conquer is still a great game, although the control scheme is old (i.e. you can’t select groups and assign them numbers to re-select them)

If you like city building with some combat then I would recommend Pharaoh although it does start slowly.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Intense Degree - 09 December 2013 03:03 PM
Doom - 09 December 2013 11:39 AM

I really like the first Age of Empires…

Seconded all the way to the bank!

Thirded! Though, in my opinion, Age of Mythology is the best in the series.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is very good too.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

Go back to the golden oldie - Dune 2000 , the remake of Dune 2. Will never get sick of that game.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2014-08-05

PM

I love Red Alert 1. Maybe because I’m a bit of a history geek and the whole alternate timeline is just awesome. The atmosphere is amazing, sounds of firing tanks, German shepherds barking, machine guns+mission clips. Stalin was creepy, Allies were worried… All in all, really great! And just enough of sci-fi weeapons to still pass as “realistic”.
Age of Empires 2 is also always fun. Smile

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2015-01-14

PM

Centurion:Defender of Rome.
Carthage.
Laughing

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

In addition to those already suggested (many good ones, and many I’ve played - like Red Alert (must-play classic), Giants (a hybrid), Age of Mythology (the only one of those I’ve played, unfortunately - I’m sure the rest are good too)).

Also, though it’s quite obvious, Shogun: Total War. I still think it’s very possibly the most enjoyable in the series (I say that because I haven’t played Shogun 2 yet) - it has a nice amount of features, and most importantly the map is just the right size. In any future games the map got just way too big.

Oh, and one that hasn’t been mentioned: Battlezone (or Battlezone 2). It’s a kind of RTS-FPS-hybrid, though (a bit like Giants), you build a base and fly around in space-tanks Tongue They were great games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top