• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Baron_BlubbaCaliMonkchrissiediegoGabrielJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Oculus Rift

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Finally got my very own Oculus Rift a few days ago, yay!
So what is my, non-developer, consumer review?
I read and watched everything there is about Rift, so I was well prepared for what to expect… or so I thought.

My first reaction once I turned it on was: “WOW! This is unlike anything I experienced before!”. No matter if you think you know exactly what to expect, you’ll still be blown away once you’ll try it out for real. Ok, except if you are expecting out-of-the-box Matrix Wink

Yes, resolution is bad (though, not THAT bad) and screen door effect is quite visible (though not THAT visible)... but neither matter once you start to look around. The scale and 3d are so profound, you have to experience them to know what it’s like.
Something that looks like low-poly, blurry textured object on monitor, transforms in a beautiful lifelike 3d object, that your brain just accepts as “real”.
The same goes for characters. You actually feel you are approaching a “real” person, along with personal space thing. Amazing!

Of course, as mentioned before, it’s not the Matrix yet, if that’s what you are expecting. You are still very well aware, you are in a 3d generated computer world. But it’s so profoundly new experience, it’s mind blowing!

So, should you go and buy developer kit or wait for superior HD consumer version that will be out next year?
I don’t know, that’s something you need to decide. All I know is, I couldn’t be happier that I decided to be an early owner of OR.
And that says someone who got really bored of computer games quite some time ago and was always more on the casual-gaming side anyway.
Yes, it’s just as good as everyone says it is and I can’t even imagine what it will be like in full HD and with positional tracking.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Buy the Consumer Product, don’t by the Dev Kit like this guy. lol Just wait it out. It’ll be a waste of $300. I do wish a lot of consumers looked at it the way you do. Most people out right call it all blasphemy. Its sad.

I know for sure the Consumer Version will be worth the buy. lol

Once you get past the screendoor effect, you will start to immerse yourself. Once the consumer hd version is out, there would be nothing between the user and the virtual world.

Though right now, the only thing i’m worried about is the appropriation of the device to individual eye sights. Like me, I have a bit more distance between the eyes, so my right eye sees a blurry image compared to the left. THis happens when you look through a lense a bit of a way from the center of it. Hopefully the new team members will help encourage more innovations besides the usual graphical side.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Monolith - 11 August 2013 01:00 PM

I do wish a lot of consumers looked at it the way you do. Most people out right call it all blasphemy. Its sad.

Really? I have yet to find a person, who’d write it off after trying it out.
The thing is, it’s already really great the way it is. But sure, consumer version will probably be superior in every way.
Anyway, I’m really glad I bought DK. It’s worth every penny Wink

Though right now, the only thing i’m worried about is the appropriation of the device to individual eye sights. Like me, I have a bit more distance between the eyes, so my right eye sees a blurry image compared to the left.

Agree. Don’t really have a problem with IPD, since I’m close enough to average number, but it would be much better (and easier), to manually move lenses closer or further away.
The same goes for adjustments for shortsighted people (something like focus adjustments on binoculars would be perfect).

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’m glad you really like it.Though people really do write it off. Why? Because some people don’t understand prototypes. haha You have not seen how many people posted how disappointed they are with the device in the Oculus Dev Forums. Everything they say is a rehash of what has already been said about the prototype since March. Remember, its easy to bring in the crazies when something like this becomes popular.

One of the best experiences you could get from it requires a Razer Hydra and the ‘Cover Shooter’ demo. It utilizes the left controller as positional tracking and the right for the gun. It really makes a huge difference.

Also if you haven’t seen it yet, the new version of the Hydra will have an attachment that adds positional tracking.
http://www.roadtovr.com/2013/08/09/new-sixense-video-demonstrates-positional-head-tracking-with-stem-and-the-oculus-rift-7442

Obviously it would be redundant when the consumer version is out, but its something you can easily get excited over.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Hey,
thanks for the suggestions!
I have Hydra (bought it quite cheap a few months ago), but didn’t try it out yet.
So far the best demos for me (and I only tried a handful of them- I’m starting off slowly) are: Tuscany, Titans of space (this one is a pure wow!), First Law (the cockpit, the scale of the universe… perfect), Cartoon Land and Blue Marbel.
I have also yet to try TF2 and HalfLife2.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The Leap Motion also looks quite cool as a start device. It would be interesting to see how this would interface with the Rift.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

More rumors about Sony presenting a new VR device for the PS4.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-03-sony-set-to-go-big-with-virtual-reality-on-playstation-4

This can become this generation motion-controls wars, with every company developing their own plan (but this is much more interesting tech for the gamers)

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I think competition is a great thing and we can only benefit from it.
I do hope Oculus will be able to hold its lead position though, as I think they are really approaching VR with the right attitude and passion.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Igor - 04 September 2013 04:29 AM

I think competition is a great thing and we can only benefit from it.
I do hope Oculus will be able to hold its lead position though, as I think they are really approaching VR with the right attitude and passion.

The thing is, Oculus isn’t in it for the game. These sort of companies fall apart when there is competition because its a commune of people looking to push us forward and not some individual company. Once a big company takes hold, they’ll use their numbers to push the smaller ones into a corner to die.

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I just had one of the best VR experiences yet. If you have a Rift, you have to try this out (if not, save it, for when/if you get it): https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4370

It’s really short, but very intense and realistic, with motion captured animation. And even better, it’s a kind of adventure game Smile

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

....Okay, i’ll give it a try.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2009-07-10

PM

Igor - 27 September 2013 03:44 AM

I just had one of the best VR experiences yet. If you have a Rift, you have to try this out (if not, save it, for when/if you get it): https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4370

It’s really short, but very intense and realistic, with motion captured animation. And even better, it’s a kind of adventure game Smile

That was incredible.  Oculus VR is going to go far in 2014, these tech demos just continue to blow me away.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top