• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Help decide DRM or DRM Free

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Just like TimovieMan said, DRM-free is the only way to go, period! Software based DRM can (and will) be cracked, costs money and will loose you possible customers.

For me DRM means “I don’t trust you guys, even though you are actually giving me money for my game, instead of ripping me off”. I haven’t bought some games (even when they were really cheap) specifically because I couldn’t be 100% certain of what I would be forced to install besides the actual game!

Regarding Steam, you can be on Steam and still be DRM-free (meaning, in this case, you don’t actually need Steam running to play the game).

Do not, I repeat, do not, make 2 versions. Strictly Pro DRM-free users might think they are getting a gutted out copy of the game unless they opt for the Steam versions. This might result in people not buying the game, even if they are actually interested in it.

Roxie, out of curiosity, can you disclose what the game you mentioned is, or at least, it’s genre?

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

@TechnoSpike

Sure, Visual Novels.  It really does depend entirely on the target audience of the genre. For this particular niche, majority of the well known ones come from Japan, so fan-translation rules the majority (aka get games for free and download an English translated patch).  There’s only a few commercial english language indie games in this genre, so the level of piracy hurts more.  My friend who started out, took about a week to find her first game on pirate sites, by her 2nd game it took 1 day (sales plummeted immediately).  Though the one creator that uses DRM for his games makes visual novels, simulations, and RPG.

Perhaps it is apples and oranges as the original poster’s game seems to be a strategy game.  Maybe adventure gamers are a lot more likely to properly pay for games?

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

TechnoSpike - 03 June 2013 10:02 AM

Do not, I repeat, do not, make 2 versions. Strictly Pro DRM-free users might think they are getting a gutted out copy of the game unless they opt for the Steam versions. This might result in people not buying the game, even if they are actually interested in it.

Well, by 2 versions, I actually meant providing a DRM-free download AND a Steam key like the indie bundles have done, not a choice of only one or the other.  Do you find that unacceptable?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

what steam game doesnt need steam running to play?

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

SirDrexl - 03 June 2013 08:52 PM
TechnoSpike - 03 June 2013 10:02 AM

Well, by 2 versions, I actually meant providing a DRM-free download AND a Steam key like the indie bundles have done, not a choice of only one or the other.  Do you find that unacceptable?

Ah, that’s different then. I was actually referring to something like the Shadowrun Returns team pulled and got an angry backlash of their customers (basically, they were promised a DRM-free game and ended up with 1 version, more complete, for Steam, and a less complete one drm-free).

Regarding Steam, I confess not knowing how to explain it, since I don’t use Steam yet, but I was alerted to that fact in the Asylum campaign. Perhaps other users can explain this or, at least you could try contacting the Agustín Cordes.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’d like to add that getting on Steam is going to make a MASSIVE difference in your sales, so even if you want to provide a DRM-free game (on GOG for instance), you’re still going to have to tolerate a version that uses a Steam key.
If you get Greenlit, of course…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i have mixed feelings on the topic. In general i dont really care about drm, as long as it doesnt noticeably effect performance. But i think were going to see more and more of a trend of publishers piggybacking drm to get other things they want, such as the always online drm gives them control of used sales. And then they can turn around and claim they have to do such things to stop piracy, when the real goal is to control as much as possible.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top