• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Help decide DRM or DRM Free

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-05-18

PM

Hey

Im currently developing a strategy game and I would like your feedback regarding releasing it as DRM or DRM Free?

So far the response has been quite evenly split. Im currently considering a DRM free for KS release and then a DRM version to be released on Steam.

thoughts, comments suggestions?
SORRY I UPDATED THIS NOW - Thanks Roxie!!
If you are interested in seeing the project, click here

looking forward to your response

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

DRM Free is the only way to go.

DRM adds nothing to the game, does nothing to prevent piracy and only irritates people who actually bought the game. It has no benefits and a whole lot of disadvantages.

Amongst the disadvantages are Rabid Uprisings during Kickstarter campaigns for including DRM. Seriously. Putting “DRM Free” front and center in a Kickstarter campaign will greatly improve your chances of success…

The responses you got previously were evenly split? Who were you polling, publishers only????

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-05-18

PM

Ive been asking my contributors but now im starting to ask in forums like this for some more detailed responses.

thanks TimovieMan

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

With respect, what possible reason could players have to want DRM?

Personally I hate piracy and I can of course see why developers would want to try and limit it if possible, but as Timo said above DRM doesn’t do this and just ends up being an annoyance to players who have bought it perfectly legally at best, or completely preventing the game running at worst.

I did fleetingly wonder whether the question was simply a premise to introduce your game here (not that you would need to do that) but as your link doesn’t work I guess not!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

DRM free - only way to go.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-05-30

PM

advGamer606 - 21 May 2013 01:09 PM

Hey

Im currently developing a strategy game and I would like your feedback regarding releasing it as DRM or DRM Free?

So far the response has been quite evenly split. Im currently considering a DRM free for KS release and then a DRM version to be released on Steam.

I think offering both is the best thing to do, assuming that the Steam option would use only Steam as the DRM, nothing else added on.

While DRM-free is great, I like having games on Steam for integration into the library and easier updating.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

advGamer606 - 21 May 2013 03:03 PM

Ive been asking my contributors but now im starting to ask in forums like this for some more detailed responses.

thanks TimovieMan

IMO people afer pirating game will most likely to contribute and buy original game
if the game is really good and cheap. That happened with HotlineMiami, and developer
went on torrents to help people out to run the game.

Same for music , osts….i have seen this trend of people actually purchasing on
impulse and supporting the Band, musician even after they shared whole OST on
youtube.

Some people take it as free publicity and it actually works, some are rigid
and put all restrictions, in many cases DRM and restricitions dont work specially if the game is average or bad.

So considering these make your choice.

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

Not to sound too much like a newbie but what does DRM free involve?  While I don’t see creators having problems with people sharing their hardcopy games with friends, or digitally perhaps download the game on more than one computer in the same household.  But does that involve allowing someone to give away copies to their friends or putting it up on torrents?

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Its canvas is much big but check the technologies section in this entry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

I apologize I should have clarified.  I’m aware of some of the DRM methods are being implemented to stop piracy (some are truly horrendous).  I guess I was moreso asking, you as the consumer, what do you feel you can do with a game that is DRM-free?

While I personally wouldn’t be as upset knowing my money went to the creators to support them to continue making games, it doesn’t stop me from hearing from others, “Why did you waste money?  I’m sure there is a cracked one on torrent somewhere.”

I’m not sure if this attitude is even common in this particular niche genre, but it does exist in the other niche genre I am involved with.  Getting 2000 in sales is nearly impossible, 1000 if you’re lucky, and that’s because that particular indie creator had a DRM on his games.  Simple one time activation, if computer changes or whatever causes you to lose the game, email the original email account that made the purchase to the creator, and get sent another activation.  He’s gained fans from pirates as they learned that cracking his game caused them to mess up their computers.  They stick around to buy future games and beta test as a result.

In response to the original poster, I am biased as my friends are indie game creators, I don’t personally see anything wrong with DRM (within reason).  One time activation only, don’t make it always-online DRM, making it any more difficult will just backfire on paying players.  I do believe doing KS makes it a lot easier in getting as much money as you can initially (make money back and then some) that DRM wouldn’t be needed.  But not everyone can use KS though.

Games Played: Ace Attorney (PW 1-3, Apollo Justice, Miles Investigation), Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Professor Layton (Curious Village, Diabolical Box, Unwound Future, Lost Specter), 999 and Zero Escape, Walking Dead S1-2, Trace Memory, Area-X, Time Hollow, Ghost Trick, Indian Jones FoA   Currently Playing: Portal 2, PL - Miracle Mask, Dangan Ronpa

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Roxie - 31 May 2013 05:47 PM

I apologize I should have clarified.  I’m aware of some of the DRM methods are being implemented to stop piracy (some are truly horrendous).  I guess I was moreso asking, you as the consumer, what do you feel you can do with a game that is DRM-free?

In response to the original poster, I am biased as my friends are indie game creators, I don’t personally see anything wrong with DRM (within reason).  One time activation only, don’t make it always-online DRM, making it any more difficult will just backfire on paying players.  I do believe doing KS makes it a lot easier in getting as much money as you can initially (make money back and then some) that DRM wouldn’t be needed.  But not everyone can use KS though.

1. Gaming landscape is offering F2p games , quality being increased, to
strategically priced games , games with proper and smart marketing (again HotlineMiami),
concerns for gamers both legal and illegal purchasers….these are emerging trends.

Dont go for PC first then , go for consoles try your luck , then shift to PC with
GOOD product, as i said earlier , good products get the sales, yes not every game is
Minecraft which was pirated alot too, among many other indies still the quality and fun
convinces the consumer (who can spend) to drop some cash.

Choices are increasing and time is limited, there is psychological reasons why people
jump at sales promotions and discounts and increase their backlog with no time to play.
Directly linked with price, fun , attention span graabed by game and so on.

Ultimately good product will rise, if marketed well.

2. DRM doesnt help anything, if consumer want to support he will regardless of DRM,
if he wont and want to pirate , DRM will give him more excuses to do it.

So its Platform choice > Promotion > Price considering worth.

Joined 2013-04-25

PM

@nomadsoul
Indeed, not all games can be like Minecraft or Angry Birds.  Not all games translates well to other platforms, can afford to pay someone to modify it, or not enough players on those platforms would want to pay for that type of game itself, making it even less worthwhile.  Niche games have it tough, it doesn’t make them “bad products” either.  Probably it’s just the niche I’m in, but creators that do promos, really just “lose” money in the price difference, there isn’t a large enough influx in more sale volumes.  Sales better than no sales I guess.  Marketing is another story entirely.

DRM won’t stop piracy, it is bound to be cracked.  But delays help, those extra days/months, those extra sales helps believe it or not.  Since a lot of purchases are done impulsively, the harder and longer it takes to get a game free, it’s easier to just buy it.  You’re right, pirates that never support will make any excuse not to, DRM or not.

You’re not wrong, but not all games fit properly in the same mold to make general statements on how they “would” succeed.  Regardless, more games need to be made any way you look at it, busy as players are. There aren’t enough adventure game creators is the impression I’m getting from these forums, so let’s hope there is enough of you guys to financially support them when they show up Smile

Joined 2013-05-18

PM

There is a lot to take in here. Im glad I came here to ask!

Did anyone have a look at the project? If so what did you think of it?

Joined 2013-05-18

PM

Thanks Roxie for informing me that the link was broken. Silly me!

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Why can’t you do both… You’ll make a lot of money if your game is on Steam - but people should have the option for a DRM free game, especially if it was funded via Kickstarter.

DRM is the devil though.

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-06-02

PM

From my pov, DRM will help you with piracy, but the fact that your game is quite new and you’re not a lean mean developing machine yet, it will not matter that much, if you protect it somehow, because no one will rush to crack your game until it probably becomes old. Of course it’s all relative and it could go into any number of ways for you => i hope really well! Smile

but maybe piracy has its place in the world as well; i don’t think that much of the software out there would have ever gotten so popular without it?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top