• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Bioshock Infinite

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hammerite - 15 April 2013 05:19 PM

And congratulations to them for succeeding too.

Anyone else miss Elizabeth a bit? I want a friend who I can open trans-dimensional tears with, and who throws supplies at me Frown

I’d rather go for Sotc horse, to explore fields of uncharted arcane lands Tongue

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Even some time after beating the game and not touching it, I still have fond memories of every aspect of the game. I can roll through the whole experience in my head without missing a beat. In my opinion, that says a lot of how the game was presented.

Only a couple of other games I can do that for. Somewhat Half-Life 1 & 2, Deus Ex, Gabriel Knight, (okay, i’ll skip all my favorites adventure games. Its easy to have those stuck in your head)....can’t think of any more right now, but i’m sure there are a few more.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Looks like AAA market is on crash, not just TR, Gears, gow but BSInfinite underperforming too,

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-16-poor-gears-of-war-god-of-war-sales-in-march

Not even 1 million in first week, Borderlands2 was smash hit for 2k games, had million preorders iirc.
I guess either its release window or people looking for content filled games or maybe its
time for next-gen.

Edit: For comparison

Bioshock 2 first NPD was 562k copies for the 360 version alone.
Original debuted at 490k.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I feel it’s not so much that those games are “underperforming” but more that the big publishers are overestimating the sales potential. Budgets have seriously inflated these last years, and a lot of publishers almost need to sell 10 million copies before they’re satisfied.

With the rise of the indie market and the success of Kickstarter this last year, I think the entire gaming industry is changing. And that’s not a bad thing, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

nomadsoul - 16 April 2013 09:42 AM

Looks like AAA market is on crash, not just TR, Gears, gow but BSInfinite underperforming too,

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-16-poor-gears-of-war-god-of-war-sales-in-march

Not even 1 million in first week, Borderlands2 was smash hit for 2k games, had million preorders iirc.
I guess either its release window or people looking for content filled games or maybe its
time for next-gen.

Edit: For comparison

Bioshock 2 first NPD was 562k copies for the 360 version alone.
Original debuted at 490k.

Both Gears and God of War were the 4th game in the series, both were prequels, both were getting average reviews and neither were made by the series developer.

Not a huge surprise that they are underselling.

Also sales always drop off at the end of the console cycle. Peoples eyes are already turning towards the end of the year and new hardware.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I don’t know about Gears but I love the God of War series and the Ascension game was completely unneeded. Please stop making Kratos games… and another multiplayer option on a single player game…

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Number one game BioShock Infinite sold 878,000 units on home consoles during the month, according to data supplied by Cowen and Company. The analysts now expect the game to be on track to sell 4.5 million units (including PC sales) for its first year on sale.

I wonder if it will do enough to motivate 2k to spend again on Levine.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s really messed up. Selling 4 million copies of a AAA-game could make the publishers abandon a series for “underperforming”.

In our genre: when an adventure game sells 100K copies, the publisher/developer does a happy dance with a couple of backflips on top. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

TimovieMan - 19 April 2013 06:56 AM

That’s really messed up. Selling 4 million copies of a AAA-game could make the publishers abandon a series for “underperforming”.

In our genre: when an adventure game sells 100K copies, the publisher/developer does a happy dance with a couple of backflips on top. Tongue

Bias detected Tongue

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

I’m very curious as to how DLC is going to be implemented here. I hope—and can expect—it would be good, and a valuable addition to the storyline… but I can’t really think of how they could follow up that ending with anything

Predictions?

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Hammerite - 19 April 2013 12:55 PM

I’m very curious as to how DLC is going to be implemented here. I hope—and can expect—it would be good, and a valuable addition to the storyline… but I can’t really think of how they could follow up that ending with anything

Predictions?

The parallel universe concept can give unique other adventures , like say,
booker fighting and being chased by Songbird, fighting along slate for revolution and dying, or any other stuff Levine could come up with can be justified as alternate
timeline, before ending , or any of those 121 experiments since i guess 122 was us.Levine said fans would love DLC, lets see what he means, maybe another Rapture visit
Smile

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Predictions?

I don’t think the DLC will connect with the ending or the main storyline. Maybe different stories to flesh out the universe or some characters - like Minerva’s Den. But maybe it will just be new guns and powers Smile

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

BTW, pertaining to the underperforming….its Number 1 and Tomb Raider number 2.

There is underperforming, and there is batshit expectations.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

wilco - 19 April 2013 01:14 PM

Predictions?

I don’t think the DLC will connect with the ending or the main storyline. Maybe different stories to flesh out the universe or some characters - like Minerva’s Den. But maybe it will just be new guns and powers Smile

I can see this being the case, I think—as well as what nomadsoul said, which’d also be really interesting. I’m sure whatever it is will be suitably interesting; not actually played ‘Minerva’s Den’, but I’ve heard VERY good things (and the team behind it are also working on brilliant looking independent ‘exploration sim’ Gone Home).

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m just playing it through a second time now and find myself clinging tenaciously to the quote at the beginning of the game by Lutece as a magic problem solver.

I was a bit thrown off by Elizabeth’s confrontation with the Siren (the weird manifestation of Lady Comstock), I really need to get to this bit again and pay attention.

The only way I can make sense of the ending(s) is via the merging/false memories that occur throughout the game.

Travelling the infinite lighthouses, Elizabeth takes you back to your past timeline and you occupy the Booker’s from those eras, you’re not a separate witness.  She then takes you to the baptism and kills you, which you witness AS Booker/Comstock.  I’m guessing at a period after the universe split where Booker rejected the baptism, otherwise Anna is never born.

I think the scenes from the lighthouses onwards (and by extension the entire game) are ‘false’ memory bleeds that Booker experiences prior to waking up (to a world where he’s heavily in debt, a hated pinkerton agent and single parent to baby Anna).

Otherwise witnessing first hand, the death of Booker at the baptism makes no sense at all.  You played the game as Anna’s father (based solely on the brand on your hand, if it really doesn’t stand for Anna DeWitt… well, shit).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top