• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Bioshock Infinite

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

^Absolutely. I too didn’t think it felt like a museum. People just weren’t use to the idea that violence wast around every corner, so when you were able to relax, people freaked out and justified it as ‘museum like’. Thats the best part about infinite. It gave you time to soak in the environment, discover the visual clues and stories, then explore some more.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

thejobloshow - 06 April 2013 06:37 PM

And the game doesn’t feel like a museum to me - the content felt meticulously designed where every piece of art work and dialogue is used to flesh out the themes and motifs so I can understand why the interaction is limited. This isn’t like Duke Nukem where you’re messing around with the set dressing “just because” or GTA with its distracting game elements like the relationship simulator.

Still, they could have allowed you to talk to some of the characters, a few dialogue options would have been enough - how are you, what do you think of the weather, etc. On the beach for example. You’re strutting around with a gun, standing in front of people, dancing around them and they stare into space repeating a few lines. What aspect of that is not mannequin-like? Aside from appearance, there is no difference between those robotic vending machines and the characters who are supposed to be real. It’s valid criticism and you can’t say it wouldn’t also be valid praise if the game did make these characters more interactive. In fact I’m certain we would all be praising the hell out of it, I know I would.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Zifnab - 07 April 2013 12:05 AM
thejobloshow - 06 April 2013 06:37 PM

And the game doesn’t feel like a museum to me - the content felt meticulously designed where every piece of art work and dialogue is used to flesh out the themes and motifs so I can understand why the interaction is limited. This isn’t like Duke Nukem where you’re messing around with the set dressing “just because” or GTA with its distracting game elements like the relationship simulator.

Still, they could have allowed you to talk to some of the characters, a few dialogue options would have been enough - how are you, what do you think of the weather, etc. On the beach for example. You’re strutting around with a gun, standing in front of people, dancing around them and they stare into space repeating a few lines. What aspect of that is not mannequin-like? Aside from appearance, there is no difference between those robotic vending machines and the characters who are supposed to be real. It’s valid criticism and you can’t say it wouldn’t also be valid praise if the game did make these characters more interactive. In fact I’m certain we would all be praising the hell out of it, I know I would.

Ice Cold.

Won’t Disagree.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Zifnab - 07 April 2013 12:05 AM

I don’t necessarily disagree with you….However, It’s not a full RPG or and Adventure game so what were you expecting.

It’s not all that different from GTA or LA Noire where the world is full of NPC characters that don’t talk. It’s a very scripted ride through an artificial world. They give you enough to be able to suspend belief in your surroundings.

Indeed the AI on these “Mannequins” are more believeble than the cement footed characters in most adventure games who never move position and spout the same dialogue over and over no matter how much you talk to them.

If I had really infiltrated a sky city to rescue Elizabeth I doubt I would be stopping to chit chat about the weather with strangers on a beach.

So it may be artificial in the same way that rides at Disneyland work, but that doesn’t stop you from being immersed in the world.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Stasis guy made this, amazing stuff

Want BSI like this badly Frown

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

That looks amazing!
Bioshock:  Infinity Engine Edition!

Total Posts: 165

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

I’ve not finished it yet (I get the feeling I’m close, though), but I want to bump cause I saw a thing where people thought the Battle of Wounded Knee was a Skyrim reference.

I’m not even massively knowledgeable on American history but it’s obvious.

I know this’ll make me sound like a bit of a prick, but SERIOUSLY?!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Hammerite - 08 April 2013 04:35 PM

I saw a thing where people thought the Battle of Wounded Knee was a Skyrim reference.

You don’t sound like a prick when they sound like ignoramuses.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Hammerite - 08 April 2013 04:35 PM

I’ve not finished it yet (I get the feeling I’m close, though), but I want to bump cause I saw a thing where people thought the Battle of Wounded Knee was a Skyrim reference.

I’m not even massively knowledgeable on American history but it’s obvious.

I’m not even American and I knew what it was.

Some people are just clueless.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

And here I thought people went to history class…in high school….a public high school.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Just another techically antique fps experience which doesnt even bother for enviroment damage fx with ridiculous physics,completely wot.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Just completed it.

The whole ending section—beautifully compelling. I can’t applaud them enough for using games so effectively to tell a story. I totally get that the gameplay maybe isn’t as original as other games, but I still find it fun (nicely tactical, exciting, and not too linear) and I think it’s a great backdrop for the narrative, which, let’s face it, is this game’s primary point.

I definitely want to replay to check out some more of this attention to detail. And applause for the characterisation, too: I really cared for the characters (as many have said, kudos for giving us an AI follower who isn’t fucking awful and who is actually a fantastic addition to the game), and found it refreshing to see a big ‘triple-A’ (to use a term I’m not too keen on) priding itself on a sense of intellectualism and dealing with some really interesting themes.

Another reason to replay, I’ve just remembered: didn’t find all the Voxophones and Sightseer things (I was SO CLOSE, though!!)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I give props to Take2/2kgames(Rockstar games, TheLine, Darkness2, Blands2 etc.) that gives priority to story oriented games in such tough environment, great publishers along with only Sony.

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

And congratulations to them for succeeding too.

Anyone else miss Elizabeth a bit? I want a friend who I can open trans-dimensional tears with, and who throws supplies at me Frown

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Hammerite - 15 April 2013 05:19 PM

And congratulations to them for succeeding too.

Anyone else miss Elizabeth a bit? I want a friend who I can open trans-dimensional tears with, and who throws supplies at me Frown

I bet she would be handy around the house. Sensing your needs and tossing you beers etc just when you need it.

Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top