• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretin

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 17 March 2013 04:32 PM

I would prefer an Ico/Shadow of Colossus rip off with horror elements over an Uncharted action-game if that would mean more puzzles/exploration.

We’re adventure gamers, baby! Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 17 March 2013 04:11 PM

Seriously, people are considering the original prototype, which was a blatant rip off of Shadow of Colossus over something more original, with what we got?

Not sure if serious. New TR is essentially a good baby of Uncharted father and
Arkhamcity mother.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

OK, I replayed the game on Hard difficulty and took the time to get 100% completion (one last challenge flag in the Cliff Bunker took me forever to find).  My soul can rest easy now. 

I would love to see some single player story DLC come out in the future (maybe you could find out about the family whose stuffed animals you found or there could be an area where you find out more about this Trinity organization as a bridge to the sequel).  Otherwise, I’ll contentedly bide my time until the inevitable sequel.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

All the DLC will be multiplayer based

Guess Crystal Dynamics will focus on the sequel now

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Wait what

Game is deemed as commercial failure (curently at 3.5 mill) , untill it hits somewhere between 5 to 10 million, since the budget was 100 million, SquareEnix is not happy, SleepingDogs and Hitman underperformed too.

What the, what the

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

They could have easily saved money on Tomb Raider by not having the multiplayer developed in the first place. I’m pretty sure that 3.5 million didn’t come from people dying to play that mode.  Then they’d save on server costs and the multiplayer DLC development.

Just some poor decisions by SE on how they spent that budget.  Most would have gone to Crystal Dynamics, sure, but it would have lowered their ridiculous threshold for “success”.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

When a game sells 3.5 million and is considered a failure something in very very wrong with budget management. There aren’t many games that sell that much in the first 2/3 weeks. What the hell where they expecting for a reboot of a mostly dying franchise?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

nomadsoul - 27 March 2013 09:28 AM

Wait what

Game is deemed as commercial failure (curently at 3.5 mill) , untill it hits somewhere between 5 to 10 million, since the budget was 100 million, SquareEnix is not happy, SleepingDogs and Hitman underperformed too.

What the, what the

WTF?

None of the old Tomb Raider games hit 6 mil, and they were expecting a reboot after a 10-year gap would do it in just a few weeks???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Woah Fallout begins, man AAA game environment is surely terrible

Earlier this month, Sleeping Dogs developer United Front Games laid off a number of employees (allegedly “around 30”) following the cancellation of a “multi-platform” “Action Adventure” project for an unnamed publisher. Although Square Enix appeared bullish on the long-term prospects for the Sleeping Dogs brand, the cancellation of a sequel doesn’t seem outside the realm of possibility after the publisher singled out the first game for underperformance in its latest investor presentation.

Also of note: after work wrapped up on Sleeping Dogs, a few United Front staffers (approximately seven, as per the credits) lent a hand on Crystal Dynamics’ recently released Tomb Raider reboot. One contract designer says their work “Encapsulated story triggers, scripted “retraversal” and post game content,” as well as “Collectible and reward placement.”

SleepingDogs was sooooo goood, i was hoping next gen sequel Frown

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

This is messed up.  Tomb Raider has been a critical and popular hit.  It’s sold tons of games, and this is disappointing?  I don’t really understand how much more successful the Tomb Raider reboot could have been. 

Tomb Raider was one of my favorite games I’ve played in awhile.  Ironically, the game I started playing after I finished it was Sleeping Dogs.  Right now, I’m about 14 hours into it, and I’m loving it.  So much better than the GTA-knock off I thought it was before playing it.  And I guess it’s a failure too.  Oh well.  For me, the more of these “failures” Square keeps making, the better.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Keep in mind, this is a discussion about publishers, not the ‘developers’ expectations of profits. Furthermore, PUBLISHERS ARE COMPLETE IDIOTS. If unusual expectations weren’t enough, there are enough articles on Kotaku about how Publishers are completely misinformed (see Last of Us or Remember Me). Quantic Dreams is lucky to not have to work with such an annoying aspect of game development.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Finally beat the game at 100%. This game really isn’t like Uncharted. Its more like Uncharted is like this game…or moreso Uncharted wishes it was more like this game. Uncharted was an action/adventure movie. Tomb Raider is an Action/adventure game. Many times throughout the new game I felt like ‘this is Tomb Raider’. The Tombs are fun (sure not prominent enough as they are optional) but they are as relevant as the game only takes place on one island. Now if this was a sequel, there will be globe trotting, then there will be massive tombs that play a bigger role in the game.

Anyways, I was quite satisfied with this game. Bisohock Infinite wins in the story/art direction department, but Tomb Raider wins in the gameplay department. Come on, even the Quick Time Sequences are easy to get use to and a lot of things were just way more interactive than Uncharted. Tomb Raider took a lot from Uncharted….but Uncharted took a lot from Tomb Raider.

It reminds me of people complaining about the new Castlevania being too much like God of War…yet if you look at the game properly, God of War was very much like the original Castlevania. The weapons in God of War should of given that way. lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I didn’t see this thread at first and posted my own, but anyways I think the game is really nice and its sad to hear its not doing so well. When I first saw a few trailers it just appeared to me to be another revamped series into a third person hack n slash or whatever. But it’s really much more than that!  It plays somewhat like an interactive story with a kind of similar feel (imo) to an adventure game like fahrenheit (indigo prophecy). 

There are action elements, yes definitely, and to call it an ‘adventure game’ is perhaps incorrect but there is totally an aspect of pure exploration with adventure elements as well from the very beginning of the game.  I’ve never been a big tomb raider fan, but this game plays like something different.  Like all the tomb raider games you make your way through various caverns and wildernesses with goal based mission/levels but it is really based on item finding and problem solving.  As you start out you have to escape from a cavern which consists of solving several puzzles and some timed button pressing action segments (which remind me of games like fahrenheit/etc).  Once you escape you have to light your torch, make a fire, find a weapon and hunt food to survive.  It really feels *that* interactive. The story is also great and like most games nowdays, it feels like an epic cinematic experience.

I guess its technically more like an rpg/platformer, but it is definitely cross-genre.  anyway I’m really enjoying it as an adventure game lover. Smile 

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Watched a friend play it and it did not look interesting to me at all. Seemed like a combination of a gun-shooter game with the “press X to not die” bits of The Walking Dead.

The story might be good but I don’t play games for just the story. I remember the old Tomb Raider having clever puzzles but it appears they’ve got rid of them too.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

wow. well I totally disagree.  I think the best aspect of games is interactivity and this game definitely captivated me like I was in the role from the start.  I just thought maybe with games like the walking dead, heavy rain, or alan wake etc recieving adventure game recognition, maybe others would see this game for its merit.

Then again I love the new generation of hybrid rpg games like mass effect, skyim, dragon age etc, so maybe it appeals more to people into all that over purist adventure gamers

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top