• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 216

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

TimovieMan - 13 March 2013 01:03 PM

Before you point a finger at video games, have you watched the news… ever?
The violence in movies and games has nothing on the violence the news gives us daily. Just ask Advie about what happens and has happened on his doorstep (in Cairo) these last few months and years. Except that that is real, not a video game.
Conflicts like that, murder, violence in general, that long predates video games. That long predates television. That long predates movies.
I agree that human behaviour and societal ideologies are to blame for all the violence in the world. But we need to point the finger at ourselves, not at video games (or others forms of entertainment).

I’m not sure where did I point the finger at videogames? I specificaly said I do NOT see video games as a cause for real life violence.

Comparing video games to news is ways off as well. News report about violence caused by others. Games give you a chance to cause violence yourself (without any consequences).

Just for the record, I am NOT comparing real life violence to computer game destruction. I just think, it’s sad to see how popular and acceptable violence is (in any form).

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Finished Tomb Raider with 100% completion

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Lucien21 - 13 March 2013 05:27 PM

Nice.

I had started revisiting areas to find all the goodies, but then I just decided to start a new game on Hard.  I’m finding some of the challenges very difficult (I don’t know how I’m going to find all the totems hanging in the first forest).  On the second playthrough, I’m most struck by how great the pacing of the game is. 

As an aside, while there aren’t a ton of puzzles in the game, some of the environmental puzzles in the optional tombs had me thinking longer and harder than any recent adventure game I can recall.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Igor - 13 March 2013 04:19 PM

Just for the record, I am NOT comparing real life violence to computer game destruction. I just think, it’s sad to see how popular and acceptable violence is (in any form).

I think we established this is completely wrong as its nothing new. Violence has been around forever. This game didn’t encourage something that was always prominently there.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

The gaming experience was simply (technically) beautiful but stucking in same island throughout the whole game suits well for episodic stories,at some point expected some rafting,etc but all ride can be found was ziplines.A real aa game must reveal different means of travel.

Worst thing that overlooked in design,how Lara advanced as survivor enemy should have’been improve too both tactically and weaponary(traps etc) means but they keep moving most expectable way and encounters gets easier and routine.

PS:I’m not gonna comment about puzzles,in a times even agoty have no puzzles anymore.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Does anything special happens or unlocks at 100%?

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

wilco - 16 March 2013 05:05 PM

Not really. You get all the documents etc including one after getting all the GPS tags. It just adds to the background of the game.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 16 March 2013 06:00 PM
wilco - 16 March 2013 05:05 PM

Not really. You get all the documents etc including one after getting all the GPS tags. It just adds to the background of the game.

I got bored getting the GPS tags and miss some, I might get them if some interesting single-player DLC is released and come back to the game.

Did anyone try the multiplayer?

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

wilco - 16 March 2013 08:04 PM

It’s a complete waste of time and clearly just exists to add some longevity and value to a game that doesn’t even need it. They probably could’ve added so much more to the single player if they had focused solely on it.

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

SamandMax - 17 March 2013 07:50 AM
wilco - 16 March 2013 08:04 PM

They probably could’ve added so much more to the single player if they had focused solely on it.

Crystal Dynamics did only focus on the single player.  The multiplayer was all done separately by Eidos Montreal.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gonna echo sentiments of some other people, this prototype looks better than what we got, apart from
kratos like executions , the body parts aiming, helping boy, horse etc. all up my alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AbJjcBC2rnc

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

It’s a complete waste of time and clearly just exists to add some longevity and value to a game that doesn’t even need it. They probably could’ve added so much more to the single player if they had focused solely on it.

This is exactly what’s wrong with AAA-titles these days…

This and day-one DLC.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 17 March 2013 02:11 PM

This is exactly what’s wrong with AAA-titles these days…

This and day-one DLC.

I don’t get it.  Publishers keep hiring extra-teams to add multiplayer in games that clearly don’t need it (Assassins Creed, Bioshock 2, God of War…), probably increasing the development cost and keep getting slammed by players and critics. But these things are probably somewhat profitable because it keeps happening…

nomadsoul - 17 March 2013 02:04 PM

Gonna echo sentiments of some other people, this prototype looks better than what we got, apart from
kratos like executions , the body parts aiming, helping boy, horse etc. all up my alley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AbJjcBC2rnc

That definitely looks for interesting

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Seriously, people are considering the original prototype, which was a blatant rip off of Shadow of Colossus over something more original, with what we got?

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I would prefer an Ico/Shadow of Colossus rip off with horror elements over an Uncharted action-game if that would mean more puzzles/exploration.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top