• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445nouramrfouad94

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Interplay - 07 March 2013 12:54 PM
Gabe - 07 March 2013 12:34 PM

Looks like an exceptional tps but i wonder sneak pass is avaliable throughout the game or kill pass mandatory?

There are areas that you could theoretically get through sneaking up behind people and stealth killing them or silently killing them with a bow, but no, you can’t just sneak past.  They all have to die, unfortunately.  Cry

You can usually run past them if you kill a few to make sure you don’t die. That’s what I did - the less time spent shooting at men, the better.

As I predicted, I didn’t like the game much. It’s pretty obvious why it is called Tomb Raider, and that’s to draw in the old fans. You can finish the game without uncovering a single tomb. 90% of the game is heading down a linear path getting past obstacles, usually done by either pressing a button on a prompt, or massacring groups of enemies. This is the opposite of what Tomb Raider used to offer, large levels which you had to figure out how to reach multiple objectives, with the “figuring out” part being central.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

wilco - 07 March 2013 04:05 PM

Combat is good, very Uncharted-like (even the sneaking and shield enemies!!), really like the cover system, feels very natural.

I think quality of animations gives that thrilling natural feeling.
I liked game’s old school setting not open world but highly detailed and well designed enviroments also superb animation,sound mixing and voice acting.Good that TR is a real aa more than tps,when Lara’s action pack starts to open get feeling of action unprecedented level coz camera and action dynamics are simply off the charts.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Gabe - 08 March 2013 11:26 AM
wilco - 07 March 2013 04:05 PM

Combat is good, very Uncharted-like (even the sneaking and shield enemies!!), really like the cover system, feels very natural.

I think quality of animations gives that thrilling natural feeling.
I liked game’s old school setting not open world but highly detailed and well designed enviroments also superb animation,sound mixing and voice acting.Good that TR is a real aa more than tps,when Lara’s action pack starts to open get feeling of action unprecedented level coz camera and action dynamics are simply off the charts.

You’re right, but animations only go so far. The tech behind it or behind current/next-gen animations rely on realistic animation ‘Blending’ by intelligently animation specific parts based on the situation. A mix of work between the programmer and animators. Really cool stuff since I just start working on such features.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Monolith - 08 March 2013 02:49 PM

You’re right, but animations only go so far. The tech behind it or behind current/next-gen animations rely on realistic animation ‘Blending’ by intelligently animation specific parts based on the situation. A mix of work between the programmer and animators. Really cool stuff since I just start working on such features.

That’s great, do you mean as programmer or animator?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Well, I finished the single player campaign and I thought the game was outstanding.  It was also fairly lengthy for this type of game.  My playthrough took around 16 hours (I explored all the side tombs, but I didn’t bother collecting every little thing on this playthrough).  The game is filled with great set pieces.  The burning Japanese monastery inferno level about halfway through is one of the coolest levels I’ve ever played in a game.  It was so epic that I was really afraid it was the end of the game, but it ended up only being about halfway.  There’s also plenty of time to explore the island and complete optional sidequests between the gunplay/set pieces.  Anyway, very satisfying.  I think I enjoyed it more than any other game since Arkham City.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Interplay - 11 March 2013 01:36 PM

Well, I finished the single player campaign and I thought the game was outstanding.  It was also fairly lengthy for this type of game.  My playthrough took around 16 hours (I explored all the side tombs, but I didn’t bother collecting every little thing on this playthrough).  The game is filled with great set pieces.  The burning Japanese monastery inferno level about halfway through is one of the coolest levels I’ve ever played in a game.  It was so epic that I was really afraid it was the end of the game, but it ended up only being about halfway.  There’s also plenty of time to explore the island and complete optional sidequests between the gunplay/set pieces.  Anyway, very satisfying.  I think I enjoyed it more than any other game since Arkham City.

The last Japanese oni fortress/monastery fight with whole army and all wind blowing around was epic too, how many Side Tombs are there , i have finished 3 yet, left rest for later

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I’m loving it.

I think i’m about 3/4 of the way through it and have been doing some fast travelling etc to go back and 100% each of the areas challenges and tombs etc.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 11 March 2013 01:56 PM
Interplay - 11 March 2013 01:36 PM

The last Japanese oni fortress/monastery fight with whole army and all wind blowing around was epic too, how many Side Tombs are there , i have finished 3 yet, left rest for later

I think there are 7 tombs.

I also completed the game yesterday, did most of the side quests except finding the gps. that I found boring after a while. The main game was really good, liked the Lara Croft character and the “surviving” and “growing up” theme. I thought the villain was also great. And some really epic moments.Nice dual pistol reference in the end
But there are also some really missed oportunities that could be improved in a sequel, specially the mentioned side tombs, they should be more difficult to find (some investigation for clues in the island) and the actual tombs bigger with some actual puzzles, not just a little room.

In the end, it’s a very different game from the original Tomb Raider games, but it’s reboot in a very different direction, so anyone that doesn’t go in expecting the classic games and Uncharted fans should be very pleased with the game.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

They can put horse and exploration like Skyrim in next game,i remember the new pitch leak pic had Lara on horseback shooting arrows. Infact they had Sotc and Ico idea before
Uncharted vision was finalised. I m glad they scrapped TeamIco ideas.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yeah watching the behind the scenes was great. Though that won’t happen Nomad. Completely different game directions. Tongue

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Fuck…80% through the game and I think i’ve hit a game ending bug.

You are supposed to use the new ascender for the bow to pull a crane round so that the heavy load will drop on a grate and open it, but the crane moves but the weight stays where it is.

FUck fuck fuck.

p.s now I better get to work.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

I tried the new Tomb Raider, and even though it looks gorgeous, and Lara is a more interesting character than in any other reincarnation of the series, I’m not going to continue playing.  I will not tolerate the disgusting snuff scenes that seem to follow every QTE, of which there seem to be way too many, and I am a little bit sad that most people seem to be fine with watching Lara die a gruesome death over and over again.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 12 March 2013 04:40 AM

You are supposed to use the new ascender for the bow to pull a crane round so that the heavy load will drop on a grate and open it, but the crane moves but the weight stays where it is.

FUck fuck fuck.

Yup that was it, check kotaku they have solution

http://kotaku.com/5990008/the-only-way-to-get-past-this-tomb-raider-glitch-is-by-using-another-glitch

Total Posts: 92

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

kuze - 12 March 2013 07:27 AM

I tried the new Tomb Raider, and even though it looks gorgeous, and Lara is a more interesting character than in any other reincarnation of the series, I’m not going to continue playing.  I will not tolerate the disgusting snuff scenes that seem to follow every QTE, of which there seem to be way too many, and I am a little bit sad that most people seem to be fine with watching Lara die a gruesome death over and over again.

I’m still enjoying the game but I agree, it’s needlessly brutal and chooses to beat and punish Lara into becoming a hero rather than simply letting her earn it through the bravery of her actions. There’s a great sequence where she has to climb this rickety radio tower to send out a distress signal when no one else will and it’s the perfect way to show her becoming this hardened hero by selflessly facing her fears. The game could’ve easily been made up of a bunch of moments like that but instead it chooses to toughen her up by just torturing her relentlessly with slow motion shots of her falling onto metal spikes, death animations of her neck being impaled in tree branches, even a sequence where she falls into a pool of guts and rises out drenched in blood; this stuff never ends and it’s so needlessly savage, it adds nothing to the character except desensitization.

What’s worse is that the two series that this game is clearly influenced by, Uncharted and the Batman: Arkham games, manage to achieve everything they need to with T ratings and non-exploitative violence. It honestly feels like the only reason this game is M is because they felt a female lead character wouldn’t draw a big enough audience for a big blockbuster game like this so they had to ratchet up the gore to compensate.

An M rating is also disappointing simply because it prevents younger girls from playing a big action game which actually has a strong female character at its center. This is the most fully realized incarnation of Lara yet and it’s a shame that they couldn’t try just a little bit harder to make it more accessible, especially since the extreme violence is so superfluous in the first place.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

nomadsoul - 12 March 2013 10:48 AM
Lucien21 - 12 March 2013 04:40 AM

FUck fuck fuck.

Yup that was it, check kotaku they have solution

http://kotaku.com/5990008/the-only-way-to-get-past-this-tomb-raider-glitch-is-by-using-another-glitch

Thanks for that.

I came across it after I posted the original message and tried it when I came home. Took me about 20 mins of wiggling to get Lara to clip through the floor onto the corridor below.

Blooming annoying, but i’m still enjoying it.

Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top