• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinJdawg445Lady Kestrelluckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 25 February 2013 09:46 PM
Oscar - 25 February 2013 04:28 PM
Primate Ryan - 24 February 2013 05:31 PM

They want us to feel closer to Lara, 

Can’t we feel close to her as we have done for the 15 or so years Tomb Raider has been around? I mean, obviously we do otherwise the game wouldn’t be so popular.

You can spend a lot of time with someone and still not care about them.

Firefly is a great example. 14 episodes and they feel like family. Don’t confuse time with personal connection.

Not to me, I hated Firefly. It was irritating how the show tried to make me care about them. I hope the new Tomb Raider doesn’t do the same, but it sounds like it will.

even though I probably won’t play it like I haven’t done the last 10 or so Tomb Raiders

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Oscar - 25 February 2013 10:05 PM

Not to me, I hated Firefly. It was irritating how the show tried to make me care about them. I hope the new Tomb Raider doesn’t do the same, but it sounds like it will.

even though I probably won’t play it like I haven’t done the last 10 or so Tomb Raiders

You like adventure games why? lol

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Monolith - 25 February 2013 10:07 PM
Oscar - 25 February 2013 10:05 PM

You like adventure games why? lol

Well, it’s not because some corporate focus group decided they need to add ‘gritty’ and ‘realistic’ to the stories to get me to care about the characters and buy their product. Or whatever the latest fashion in stories is.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Supposedly finite health makes it a better game, but in my opinion, that is absolutely wrong. I can live without it. I don’t want my experience to be like a resident evil survival horror. I want to feel like its an adventure moreso than a survival simulator.

I agree with this.

I don’t feel that finite health makes a better game - it just makes a more difficult game, and geez, if you want a higher difficulty just play the darn thing at a higher difficulty setting… Tongue
Most finite health games are too unforgiving if you accidentally get shot / misjudge a jump. I really don’t mind health regeneration…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I think it depends on the game. Max Payne 1 and 2 were much better than 3, because they were better at creating tension than the third one was with your constant care about your health, where as in the third you could just go bananas.

Also, I can’t imagine an action-horror game like Resident Evil 4,5 or 6 working all that well with regenerating health - it would again remove all the tension.

Where adventure and discovery is in high demand, like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, regenerating health fits great, though.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Actually I found myself using health just as much as Max Payne 1 & 2 in 3. Maybe I was playing at a normal difficulty? lol

I digress Kasper, I already said, Tomb Raider isn’t a survival horror, thats why it shouldn’t matter.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 26 February 2013 02:58 PM

I think it depends on the game. Max Payne 1 and 2 were much better than 3, because they were better at creating tension than the third one was with your constant care about your health, where as in the third you could just go bananas.

Also, I can’t imagine an action-horror game like Resident Evil 4,5 or 6 working all that well with regenerating health - it would again remove all the tension.

Where adventure and discovery is in high demand, like Uncharted and Tomb Raider, regenerating health fits great, though

Agree except bolded part, the problem with latest TR is that it introduces this
survivor theme in beginning , teaches you to hunt animals, to survive hard conditions which doesn’t translate and developed well in game mechanics later but to serve gaining XP points, which is stupidity.
Snake Eater mechanic would have worked better here, instead in this TR you brutally kill
animals and specially rabbits(too cute) to gain XP points which dont serve any purpose than maximizing Stats, again whats the point of Survivor stats and hunting or killing or anyhting if you got infinite health, remove eatables from Skyrim too and all other games. Hunting animals for ration , cooking them on camps to salvage health backup would have been awesome imo.

Bottomline is it can be done, but developers are too lazy and clever to find smart ways to implement it.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Conan “reviewed” the game last night on his show.

OMG the death at the end was bloody brutal.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

TimovieMan - 26 February 2013 11:47 AM

Supposedly finite health makes it a better game, but in my opinion, that is absolutely wrong. I can live without it. I don’t want my experience to be like a resident evil survival horror. I want to feel like its an adventure moreso than a survival simulator.

I agree with this.

I don’t feel that finite health makes a better game - it just makes a more difficult game, and geez, if you want a higher difficulty just play the darn thing at a higher difficulty setting… Tongue
Most finite health games are too unforgiving if you accidentally get shot / misjudge a jump. I really don’t mind health regeneration…

I don’t agree Hate it.Grin
It takes the tension and strategy out most shootouts in games like Uncharted and Call of Duty. It’s just shoot, shoot, cover to regain health when the screen gets blood on the sides or black and white. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. At least make that the health only is regenerated at the end of combat. Resistance 1 did it a bit better with only partial health regen in tiers.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-12-19

PM

It looks amazing! I can’t wait for it. I even preordered TR Wink Gameplay looks impressive

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Its the Dead Space 3 effect. When they introduced Coop, everyone freaked out and said the game sucks. Game was released, game did really well and panned out very well. Preferences aren’t always a thing to be proud of. lol

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I don’t agree Hate it.Grin
It takes the tension and strategy out most shootouts in games like Uncharted and Call of Duty. It’s just shoot, shoot, cover to regain health when the screen gets blood on the sides or black and white. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. At least make that the health only is regenerated at the end of combat. Resistance 1 did it a bit better with only partial health regen in tiers.

Sad fact of the industry that so called gamers now need all mechanics on silverplatter with least challenge, journalists and gamers alike love the noobish games, and praise it, these same guys loved DmC, DS3 and would not be able to finish Darksouls or would give MGrising low rating due to their inability to find out and use evade and block. But atleast guys with my gaming experience which ranges from Heavyrain to hard games like Demonsouls, would not want every franchise to be automated in order to attract masses and new segments who never tried or liked games due to challenge. Interactive passive movies are future.

Cannot wait for ThelastofUs to show the industry what they are doing wrong.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Yet before less than 50% pf the gamers never beat the games because they are insultingly hard. I don’t care, I like beating my games. I have a life. I prefer games that are moderately difficult with a lot more content, than really difficult and full of content that will never be seen.

The industry doesn’t make games easier for the sake of ‘not giving f*cks’, they do it because they want to make games get beaten. Valve had a huge article on this and it greatly effects the customer returns.

Its fine to have games like Demon Souls, but hell, don’t expect a whole industry to be just like. Classic games are awesome, but I wouldn’t pass up all the games we got from since 2000 for any of those infinitely difficult okay games. Difficult Nostalgia =/= Good Games.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Monolith - 27 February 2013 03:59 PM

Yet before less than 50% pf the gamers never beat the games because they are insultingly hard. I don’t care, I like beating my games. I have a life. I prefer games that are moderately difficult with a lot more content, than really difficult and full of content that will never be seen.

^ This.

I too prefer to be able to actually finish a game than to have it sit there unfinished. Overly difficult games just make me frustrated.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I want to also point out that NomadSoul’s post would of been credible if he didn’t slump DS3 into it. The DeadSpace series isn’t an example of easy casualized games. DS3 being more in-depth with complex features, extraordinary environments and a lot more exploration. On top of that, its an hard EFFIN game. What do I know though, I don’t get off on impossibly hard games.

EDIT: I will admit though. I find it laughable when games have a nicely designed puzzle, and about 10 seconds in, the game will offer you a hint. I sometimes use hints, I admit it, but 10 seconds in? Seriously? There, thats my adventure gamer side getting a little pissed off. lol

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top