• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 28 January 2013 06:20 PM

It’s like you haven’t played Uncharted.

Did I miss anything in Uncharted 3? Do you understand want Linearity means? Do understand comparison? It was meant to be a comparison to Tomb Raiders exploritive nature than Uncharted. It wasn’t meant to describe it as strictly Linear. That would be an On the Rails game, but guess what? COD is linear but not on the rails. Still doesn’t make it skyrim.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 28 January 2013 09:26 PM
nomadsoul - 28 January 2013 06:20 PM

It’s like you haven’t played Uncharted.

Did I miss anything in Uncharted 3? Do you understand want Linearity means? Do understand comparison? It was meant to be a comparison to Tomb Raiders exploritive nature than Uncharted. It wasn’t meant to describe it as strictly Linear. That would be an On the Rails game, but guess what? COD is linear but not on the rails. Still doesn’t make it skyrim.

“I really like the look of the part where you push the joystick forward and AWESOME stuff happens”

“AutoPlatforming = Linearity”

“Crystal Dynamics want players to guide Lara through adversity, to help her find her strength and will to survive. Her predicament looks harrowing, but such is the lack of meaningful interaction, she might do just fine without your help”

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/tomb-raider-hands-on-a-lack-of-meaningful-interaction/

“I played Tomb Raider on ps1 the other day and was amazed by how brutal the progression is in that game. No map, no hint, no hand-taking, manual controls and platforming, the best there is. A real thrill to play. So sad EIDOS had to settle with Uncharted style of gameplay”

I can go and on with posting other people qoutes that are so obvious from videos. I hope you get the point and get over the illusion of real TR, UC had vision and its true to that from first game. TR positioning and vision is changed due to market and UC.

You like other fans wont see the difference, i love TR more than UC but this is not the TR i loved, i still remember how i use to calculate my jumps in order to find paths and landing down safely to avoid damage since health kits need to be found too, and were scarce, true survival and true vision of TR , you dont get QTE to fight wolves man, and thats linearity , no point in open world if the game holds your hand with simple inputs or QTE’s, if QTE rape scenes is your alternative , well good for you. I will still play and try my best to love this new TR , i hope i will find something.

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2010-09-15

PM

Very much looking forward to it - looks like it’s pretty much finished.

Read this article and watched this video, which confirmed my earlier good impression of the game. Judging by the video it’ll be stealth-based shooting and using the environment, nasty surprises and (hopefully) a less linear experience than the previous Crystal Dynamics games. PG-18, and they brought back the ugly deaths, yea! Wink To quote Toby Gard, it isn’t a good day without Lara getting spiked. And apropos Uncharted, it definitely looks like this incarnation of Tomb Raider is very much in the same vein. This will give me an opportunity to, finally, play Uncharted on the PC in a Tomb Raider guise…

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Ok.  I’m glad I preordered the PC version in the end.  It sounds like it won’t be just a port.

http://kotaku.com/5986243/pc-tomb-raider-will-be-so-much-better-than-console-if-your-rig-is-up-to-it

Looking forward to it.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

This used to be one of my favourite franchises with the exploration, puzzles and platforming (the combat not so much). This reboot seems to take a turn for the worse for me.

Going by impressions, the story is going to be another one of those where what you do during gameplay and what happens during cutscenes doesn’t really match. This doesn’t really matter if the story isn’t emphasized, but when that’s the case it becomes jarring. Uncharted is one of the greatest offenders at this. Cutscene Drake is this witty, charming, intelligent guy (most of the smart things are done during cutscenes, players don’t get to do any thinking), whereas during gameplay he’s mostly destroying complete armies in between solving “puzzles” with his handy walkthrough and climbing walls. I want to be witty and intelligent Drake, damn you! I guess this goes to show how much the developer trusts people with things other than shooting. And why can’t he solve difficult situations without going up against dozens of incompetent goons in body armour.

This kind of approach works in games that focus on the gameplay and just have a story be there, but if you want to focus on characters and story, this just doesn’t work. At least for me. The games (didn’t play 3, only 1 and 2) would have been immensely better if they had less action, forced the players to resolve problems using their wit and had real puzzles. But I guess that’s unreasonable to ask for, as these games cost quite a lot to make and developers need to appeal to large audiences and having lots of action is the key to their hearts (or so they seem to think).

And Tomb Raider appears to be going in the same direction. The impression I get from previews and videos is that most of the game will be extremely linear with little meaningful platforming, hardly any puzzles and lots of scripted accidents/events (similar to the oh shit oh shit parts in Uncharted that litter those games and are meant to evoke tension and suspense, but mostly manage to annoy due to their abundance) and an awful lot of boring shooting.

They want us to feel closer to Lara, to show a believable story of how she became the woman in later games (of course retconning earlier stories, but the series was never known for its coherent and great storytelling), but how does that fit in with her killing large groups of people, sometimes by shooting explosive barrels and lanterns with arrows now less. And how is it believable that she breaks her back/neck/legs/arms one moment (she doesn’t literally, but she should going by the intensity of the falls etc), forcing her to stumble around for a bit, groaning and moaning from the pain, before she is happily leaping about again.

People often compare Uncharted and Tomb Raider, but I always felt that the games were only similar superficially. There are some similar elements to be found, for sure, but while Uncharted is an action-adventure with the focus being on the action part, Tomb Raider used to be an action-adventure with the emphasis on adventure. Which is why I loved the TR-series and merely enjoyed the Uncharted-games.

And now the new Tomb Raider seems to have the made the switch from an action-adventure to an action-adventure, making it less appealing for people who loved the adventure part. 

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Worst fears came true from people who got the game early

The platforming is mostly automatic, but satisfying. Movements such as jumping, then hitting an additional button to lodge your pickaxe is fun, but hardly challenging.

EDIT: Started playing myself,

Atmosphere , bow gameplay , graphics are amazing, gameplay is ArkhamCity level easy at best. Story is mix of lost or any other cheesy survivor TV shows, and you get experience points by QTE , thats new low. Game is hit and miss uptill now.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Now I’m confused, you’re playing a review copy? or this is out in some places? Steam is only unlocking my copy next week.

Kind of sad that the old Tomb Raider exploration genre is dead, but at least this seems to be a very good Uncharted-like game.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 25 February 2013 10:49 AM

Now I’m confused, you’re playing a review copy? or this is out in some places? Steam is only unlocking my copy next week.

Kind of sad that the old Tomb Raider exploration genre is dead, but at least this seems to be a very good Uncharted-like game.

Released in Dubai selected stores, they usually release games week early before official release or week after gold. PS3 and 360 ver both out, PAL.

Exploration aspect is there if one doesn’t abuse puzzle and object highlighting, which is
instinct mode, this mode highlights even animals and enemies if leveled up in camps.
I am avoiding it like i did in HitmanAbsolution and using Bow since i am tired with shooting in every game.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Was hoping for an early release Frown

Is instinct mode part of the gameplay like detective mode in arkham asylum or eagle vision in assassins creed? Or is it an independent feature just to hand hold that can be turned off? (Never played Hitman)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 25 February 2013 11:48 AM

Was hoping for an early release Frown

Is instinct mode part of the gameplay like detective mode in arkham asylum or eagle vision in assassins creed? Or is it an independent feature just to hand hold that can be turned off? (Never played Hitman)

Its default survivor skill, which you can upgrade, but can avoid by not pushing shoulder
buttons, another crap thing i just found less challenging is health regen,
gone are days to take risky jumps for far off health medikits to survive.

Reviews are out, very positive as expeected, commercially people will like it too.

EDIT:

Not much spoilerific

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/7zar52/tomb-raider-review

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

nomadsoul - 25 February 2013 12:14 PM

health regen

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Not tomb raider!

Hate it; Hate call of duty/Halo or whoever is responsible for introducing this lazy feature into all modern action games… Damn it!

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Get over it people. Just enjoy the game.

Reviews are looking good. Turns out to be a better Tomb Raider, minus the block moving gameplay. Those death scenes are insane though, so I don’t care all that much about Health Regen.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390896/reviews/tomb-raider-review-killer-reboot-gets-almost-everything-right-review/
(Made a good point. Tomb Raider games have always failed to capture what made the first game so awesome, whereas this game succeeded.)

I’d have to admit though, I never was much of a fan of Tomb Raider other than the first game. There was another game but it wasn’t Tomb Raider. Thoroughly loved Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine which I thought was a far superior game to all Tomb Raider games.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Primate Ryan - 24 February 2013 05:31 PM

They want us to feel closer to Lara, 

Can’t we feel close to her as we have done for the 15 or so years Tomb Raider has been around? I mean, obviously we do otherwise the game wouldn’t be so popular.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Monolith - 25 February 2013 03:43 PM

Get over it people. Just enjoy the game.

Reviews are looking good. Turns out to be a better Tomb Raider, minus the block moving gameplay. Those death scenes are insane though, so I don’t care all that much about Health Regen.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/390896/reviews/tomb-raider-review-killer-reboot-gets-almost-everything-right-review/
(Made a good point. Tomb Raider games have always failed to capture what made the first game so awesome, whereas this game succeeded.)

I’d have to admit though, I never was much of a fan of Tomb Raider other than the first game. There was another game but it wasn’t Tomb Raider. Thoroughly loved Indiana Jones & the Infernal Machine which I thought was a far superior game to all Tomb Raider games.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a past Crystal Dynamics tomb raider games fan and I’m still very interested on the this one. It’s just that I hate health regen in any game.
I’m mostly avoiding reviews and videos at this point. I pre-ordered a long time ago and just want to try it fresh.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Oscar - 25 February 2013 04:28 PM
Primate Ryan - 24 February 2013 05:31 PM

They want us to feel closer to Lara, 

Can’t we feel close to her as we have done for the 15 or so years Tomb Raider has been around? I mean, obviously we do otherwise the game wouldn’t be so popular.

You can spend a lot of time with someone and still not care about them.

Firefly is a great example. 14 episodes and they feel like family. Don’t confuse time with personal connection.

wilco - 25 February 2013 05:29 PM

Don’t get me wrong. I’m a past Crystal Dynamics tomb raider games fan and I’m still very interested on the this one. It’s just that I hate health regen in any game.
I’m mostly avoiding reviews and videos at this point. I pre-ordered a long time ago and just want to try it fresh.

For me health regen is a love hate relationship. Its great because it allows the player to focus more on the gameplay and less on health management. Its not a requirement in my opinion in making a game. Supposedly finite health makes it a better game, but in my opinion, that is absolutely wrong. I can live without it. I don’t want my experience to be like a resident evil survival horror. I want to feel like its an adventure moreso than a survival simulator. Sure, the best part of this game is the Survival aspect, but not to the degree where it becomes a resource management game. Its my opinion, but the industry can agree that good game design goes beyond finite health management.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top